Author Topic: Switch now supports Wii U Gamecube Adapter  (Read 820 times)

desocietas

Switch now supports Wii U Gamecube Adapter
« on: October 25, 2017, 04:14:48 pm »
One surprise of the recent firmware update for the Switch was the ability to use the Wii U Gamecube Adapter for it...

My bf got one a while back, and I was excited but was quickly disappointed that it was just for Smash Bros (which neither of us play, really). So the fact that this will work system-wide (and not specifically with just one game) with the Switch is exciting and illuminating  - like what do they have in mind that will utilize the GC controllers?

Outside of another Smash game... haha.

In any case, I'm glad we got one back when it was $19.99... crazy, but also not surprising that it's way more expensive now.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

Re: Switch now supports Wii U Gamecube Adapter
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 04:16:27 pm »
Are their any Switch games that plan on using it?

desocietas

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 04:23:01 pm »

Nothing announced yet, afaik! https://www.polygon.com/2017/10/24/16533924/switch-gamecube-controller-virtual-console-super-smash-bros

But it makes me wonder if they're doing this before announcing whatever their Virtual Console setup will be on the Switch.

Apparently people have been able to use it with current Switch games, but since there are buttons that aren't on the GC controllers, some functionality might be lost.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 04:25:00 pm by desocietas »
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 04:26:38 pm »
My guess is the next big announcement from Nintendo is going to be a new Smash Bros announcement or the announcement of the VC with Gamecube games, which will hopefully include a fixed version of Melee.

azure

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 05:38:52 pm »
My favorite controller continues to live on. Looking forward to see if anything is done with it outside of Smash.

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 08:18:44 am »
All switch games that support the Pro controller support the Gamecube controller I believe.  The only issue is the lack of a ZL and "-" button.

aliensstudios

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2017, 07:36:46 pm »
 8) Now I can play Mario Kart 8 Deluxe with the GameCube controller! I had gotten so used to playing it with one on Wii U that I avoided playing the Switch version.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

athmaus

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 10:30:42 am »
I didnt know you could play that with the GC Controller, really hated that it didnt work on the Wii U.

My wife will love that tidbit of knowledge. Will have to try out tonight.