Author Topic: Can we get a real-time price calculation of our collections?  (Read 5511 times)

dashv

PRO Supporter

Re: Can we get a real-time price calculation of our collections?
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2014, 03:24:46 am »
I, uh, may have been thinking of RFGeneration.

Now Biff! Don't con me!

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2014, 11:20:41 am »
Some entries already have PriceCharting plugged into them. (Example here) Some have Amazon, some have PriceCharting, some have nothing. I'm not sure how it's set up but I know it's automatic. If the site recognizes something it'll add a link. It's kind of all over the place. I think it would be neat if we can enter a URL from PriceCharting and the site could draw that information and place it into the Value/Price field.

I noticed that, and that was a great step in that direction. I just wish there was some way for the site to give you a running total. Yeah, we can figure it out ourselves as suggested, but it's a lot easier to have the figure staring at you than it is to add-up 100s (1000s in some users' cases) games individually.

We already have pie-charts and bar-graphs and such that do running totals for other stats in your collection. And we already have VideoGame Chart prices. So to me, it wouldn't seem that hard to implement since all the pieces are already here, just not put together.

Woah! Hold up.

I knew about the pie chart.

But what's this I hear about a bar chart?

When the hell did this happen and why am I always the last to know!?

:)

I *think* that there is (or was) a bar graph/chart that showed what times of the day you visited the site the most...?
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2014, 01:35:42 pm »

Now Biff! Don't con me!

The pie-chart is still there:

http://vgcollect.com/about/BurningDoom

I just could have sworn there was a bar-graph too, which what I must have been mixing up with RFGeneration (I used to use that site until I came here).

« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2014, 02:05:15 pm »
I would very much like to see this feature, for pretty much the same reasons as have already been suggested.  It would be extremely helpful for insurance purposes as well as just satisfying my curiosity.  And I really don't care if it's 100% accurate as long as it gives me a pretty good idea of the replacement cost, although it might help to indicate what percentage of game/hardware pricing data is available.

I would guess that the pricing data could be significantly improved if everything had a barcode, since PriceCharting and Amazon both let you search for that.  That's something I would be happy to work on for my own collection at least, but it would help to have an export that included the barcode field and pricing so I could see what's missing.

pacpix

« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2014, 09:11:49 pm »

Now Biff! Don't con me!

The pie-chart is still there:

http://vgcollect.com/about/BurningDoom

I just could have sworn there was a bar-graph too, which what I must have been mixing up with RFGeneration (I used to use that site until I came here).
Forgot about the forums bargraph.  Here is your bargraph
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

maximo310

« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2014, 09:41:39 pm »
Real- time price calculations are gonna be hard to implement because of the constantly changing data, and finding a reliable source for current price info that reflects actual cost value. For example, akai katana(x360) says its $5.51 in estimate value, but I'm assuming that's disk only since complete copies are around the $11-14 w/o shipping for the regular edition. Amazon is ok for some price data, but on other items the price data is totally off when coming to used or new copies. So in order to program real time price calculation will be a huge undertaking to implement the site and something that's probably not gonna happen anytime soon, so just put your price you paid for games to calculate your collection prices, and compare to the going rate from multiple sites to make sure the actual value of your items are correct.

« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2014, 11:12:01 pm »
Any game on this site with an Estimated Value is pulled from PriceCharting.com, which tracks a number of sources to get a fairly reasonable value for each item over time.  They already provide values for loose, CIB and new versions of each item.  The Doom example posted earlier includes both PriceCharting and Amazon data.  Although looking at that and a few other titles, they seem to be using loose pricing from January so I'm not sure if that's being kept up to date.

caiterz

« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2014, 11:26:18 pm »
Bumpin for more supports! :D
GameCube Collector on the Apple App Store already does this, so i would reeeeallly like it here too T_T <3

soera

« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2014, 09:37:01 am »
Im going to pipe in on this thread and say that this is pretty much a no. As Disgaeniac already mentioned, the main goal of this site is to catalog all games/hardware/accessories and variants. Those do not change from day to day. Estimated value of this and that fluctuates at a crazy rate and we just do not have the time or manpower to keep 24/7 track of this.

If you are curious on what your collection is worth, just look at http://videogames.pricecharting.com/ and write down every item and hit your calculator.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2014, 10:31:41 am »
Im going to pipe in on this thread and say that this is pretty much a no. As Disgaeniac already mentioned, the main goal of this site is to catalog all games/hardware/accessories and variants. Those do not change from day to day. Estimated value of this and that fluctuates at a crazy rate and we just do not have the time or manpower to keep 24/7 track of this.

If you are curious on what your collection is worth, just look at http://videogames.pricecharting.com/ and write down every item and hit your calculator.

QFT!

...and, 'cuz I've got a bit of a *thing* for señor soera   :-[

soera

« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2014, 12:08:48 pm »

QFT!

No need for a sad face. :D

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2014, 01:38:49 pm »

QFT!

No need for a sad face. :D

That's not a sad face, brah...it's the "Oh my!" (shy & embarrassed) one  :-*

soera

« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2014, 02:36:48 pm »
Ahhh that works then.  8) 8) :-* :-*

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2014, 03:14:12 pm »
Ahhh that works then.  8) 8) :-* :-*

It's all good, baby  ;)