Author Topic: You ever see these idiots listing something wayyy insanely overpriced?  (Read 1944 times)

dreama1

You ever see these idiots listing something wayyy insanely overpriced? Can anyone explain this? I'm talking about few 100 dollars or a few times over 1000 dollars.

thewelshman

Re: You ever see these idiots listing something wayyy insanely overpriced?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 11:11:39 pm »
Usually just a scam, or in some cases its a laundering scheme.

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 03:46:16 am »
it's part of the reason I rarely have ever bought any used games from the Amazon marketplace. I don't know if there is some disconnect or if people on their genuinely believe their prices, but I've never consistently seen so much overpriced shit as I have there. I see it on ebay too, but rarely for more than 20% of what the game goes with via Buy it Now.

I thought a lot about why people do this, and while ignorance is certainly a factor for some of these outlandish prices, I think most of the time it boils down to people just wanting top dollar for their stuff, which I can understand. However, when some moron prices something for double, triple or more I seriously have to question their intelligence, morals or both.

sworddude

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 06:25:13 am »
Intelligence has nothing to do with it no matter how dum or smart some might be nostalgia can be pretty thick

I have had some very highly educated rich people aquantances of mine think that their old PC stuff lose floppy's no boxes not to mention allot of copied stuff are worth a fortune and interesting for an investment later on. I did say it was not pretty worthless everyone who was a big pc gamer back in the day has them boxes full of floppies and here is just no demand there is more of it than one might think only for certain games and cib in nice shape if you have the right stuff and some very few exceptions wich pretty no one has and even than were usually not talking big money. however I understand that the nostalgia is pretty priceless to them there is no denying that.

I Have seen some try sell a snes nes console for more than 1K, because they think it is new while it is not It's insane but some people don't know and are super excited for having it however they later find out it is only worth 30 - 40 $

Nostalgia is a super big factor for some to sell it for a way higher price than it is actually worth, looking at the highest sealed prices also does not help, also the fact that they usually do not know not to mention do not sell on the black market that much. Finding stuff of value in the attic etc is pretty exciting for some especially the less wealthy people who could use some extra cash.

edit

One last factor is obviously the original costs back in the day wich is expensive, seeing the retro game hype they might think that stuff is worth a fortune but in reality only very few things are worth more than their original retail price especially used and usually just a fraction even the pretty decent expensive titles to be fair 30 - 50$.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 06:46:20 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 06:26:35 am »
it's part of the reason I rarely have ever bought any used games from the Amazon marketplace.

Check the Warehouse Deals section. That's the used/open box stuff directly through Amazon rather than a person with a storefront. Much more reasonably priced.

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 09:35:54 am »
There's lots of reasons for it- the aforementioned scams & money laundering, people dumb enough to believe that's the value, people hoping you're dumb enough to believe that's the value, people willing to wait until they're the only game in town for the item, placeholder listings so friends can come in and 'make an offer', etc. Best not to think about it too much.

sworddude

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 09:40:30 am »
There's lots of reasons for it- the aforementioned scams & money laundering, people dumb enough to believe that's the value, people hoping you're dumb enough to believe that's the value, people willing to wait until they're the only game in town for the item, placeholder listings so friends can come in and 'make an offer', etc. Best not to think about it too much.

People are not as dumb as you might think, not to mention while some people do pay way higher prices than it is worth beyond 100$ it barely happens if it actually does happen unless someone is selling a fake item. 1K + consoles will not be sold unless brand new and proven for the hardcore collectors, else way more people would try and do this since it usually is pretty common stuff. People who pay those insane prices are not hardcore and just want to relive some memories with higher numbers they will not buy it instantly withouth doing some reasearch maybe double or triple value for some games if sought after but it cannot be to expensive.

allot of stores can get 50% more for allot of games because people don't like the black market and like to have some insurance if an item breaks however the item has to be sought after and popular, expensive and more uncommon games have to be decently priced since you will have the same market as other sellers for people looking to get that item.

as far as rare items go with only 1 listing, allot of really rare games do not have a solid price you cannot place a certain value on some items, sometimes it sells for a bargain and sometimes it sells for quite allot it just depends what sort of people are looking to purchase the item not to mention if prices are always expensive the price gaps can be huge on the more expensive rarities really depends what kind of buyers are looking for that specific item at a certain time frame.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 02:13:32 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

ez054098

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2017, 05:39:16 pm »
Ho yeah

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2017, 07:24:29 pm »
All the time.

kashell

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2017, 09:25:54 am »
Yep. More recently, $9,999 for a copy of Secret of Evermore.

Warmsignal

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2017, 01:13:20 pm »
Only when it's an intention money-grab and not truly rare or unique. I just hate scumbags who buy up every copy of an obscure game and then charge triple for it.

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2017, 08:19:13 pm »
it's part of the reason I rarely have ever bought any used games from the Amazon marketplace. I

I once saw an video game item selling for $1,000,000.00. and it was on amazon no joke. but I totally forgot what it was but I think it was an old PS2 model CIB
updated on 5-14-2024 5:30AM (EST)
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)
(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)
NO APPS NEEDED
64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage
over 28,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

https://nap.casthost.net:2199/start/Justinangelradio/

(requires Google Chrome or Firefox Edge does not work with this link but other links exist)

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2017, 12:51:15 am »
A game is only worth the price someone is willing to pay for it.

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2017, 02:59:59 pm »
Keep in mind you can scroll down and find something less insane in the span of a few seconds

You definitely have to be pretty dumb to buy something for a hundred dollars that you can get for 30$..probably on the exact same page a few inches away

It's probably partially ignorance though since in my experience, among non gamers there seems to be a stereotype that literally any retro console or game is a super rare collector's item
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 03:02:45 pm by cirno »