Author Topic: Switch is named the fastest selling US console ever. Recap and Predictions?  (Read 1400 times)

Nintendo Switch naysayers have been officially silenced so far. :).  With Switch selling almost 10 million units in it's first 10 months.  It feels so good to hear crickets from the PS and XB communities as they quit being so vile and disingenuous  towards nintendo and claiming how they are prone to death and watch as their smeer campaign of the big N comes to a hault.  Nintendo has corrected every mistake they made with the Wii U and with their 1st party arsonal which typically is some of the best in gaming being rivaled by some 3rd party publishers and devs coming in.  Nintendo has hit a major home run thus far.  And it's still early.  :D   I'm so happy to see them shine again.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/01/04/nintendo-switch-is-the-fastest-selling-video-game-console-ever-in-the-u-s/

My major questions are, do you think developers will start flocking to switch like they already have been? Or do you think the buzz will calm?  Any big ones liek Square Enix, Insomniac, EA, or Bethesda?   

What games do you predict will come to switch? What games do you hope will come? Weather it be a pipe dream or a realsatic possibility.   :)

For me I see a GTA V port coming because of how they have been hinting around about it. It's possible of course with a lower FPS and maybe without the first person option.  I'd assume a bear bones 360 level of GTA 5 might be possible and it'd be a huge home run :).  I really think a port of Mortal Kombat X isn't out of the rhelm and many other fighters.  I surely see Dragon Ball Fighter Z coming to switch in late 2018 as it's so perfect for the system.    Hopefully physical copies start pouring in too :)

What are your all and all thoughts after about 1 year in with switch.  Are you blown away, in the middle or underwhelmed?  Where do you see it going?  Do you see it carrying it's buzz through it's 2nd year or you do think it's prone to a decline after the huge year dies down?

Well the top 3 games on my GOTY list were Switch games, so that says something.  The Switch didn't blow me away, but it did have one of the best launches I've seen in awhile.  There are some big games rumored this year, nothing I'll spoil being that they are likely to be revealed come the Nintendo Direct next week, so it'll keep going well, especially if it keeps getting good third party support.  I think the system will be consistent, especially as they start winding down support with the 3DS this year, meaning more people will be going to Switch for their portable needs.

I enjoy the system, but I wish there were more games. It still kind of feels like the Wii U to me. With the amount of units sold hopefully more developers will start looking at it more seriously.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 02:58:44 pm by jce3000gt »

Just hold your applause.  Wait about 2~3 years before crowning this console as a success.  The Wii started out pretty much this way and faded fast.  All Nintendo consoles do this as far back as the N64.  The Switch is great but its huge early success isn't sustaining or telling on how its long-term success will be unless several things happen like truly equal 3rd party support similar to what Sony and Microsoft have respectively. 

I do think some things are stupid like the lack of storage memory and the overpriced pro controller.  I'll end up getting one if the jRPG makes a comeback on it (like its starting to now), but I'm not overly optimistic it just isn't another Wii like early success and long-term failure with the average gamer.

The Wii faded? You mean Nintendo's best selling console? If Nintendo could match that same kind of success, that's wonderful.  I don't personally like the Wii, but to compare it to that isn't really a negative.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 05:22:35 pm by kamikazekeeg »

With a lot of excellent titles on the horizon, the Switch isn't going anywhere. I'm predicting it will outsell the XBONE and may catch the PS4, although that is still very much so in the air given the PS4 was out nearly 3-years before the Switch was released.

With a lot of excellent titles on the horizon, the Switch isn't going anywhere. I'm predicting it will outsell the XBONE and may catch the PS4, although that is still very much so in the air given the PS4 was out nearly 3-years before the Switch was released.

I don't know if it'll catch up to the PS4, simply because of the lead, but I think it'll definitely do well.  It's already got a good looking second year for first party games (hard to compare to first year Mario and Zelda, but still good) and it's looking to get more third party support which is all it needs to help bolster the system.  All the Switch had to do was not be as bad as the Wii U and thankfully it's already proven to not be like that lol

I don't know if it'll catch up to the PS4, simply because of the lead, but I think it'll definitely do well.  It's already got a good looking second year for first party games (hard to compare to first year Mario and Zelda, but still good) and it's looking to get more third party support which is all it needs to help bolster the system.  All the Switch had to do was not be as bad as the Wii U and thankfully it's already proven to not be like that lol

Not only is it a lot better then the Wii U already, but it's probably the best Nintendo console since the N64 in terms of quality games. Some might argue and say the Wii or Gamecube were the last great Nintendo console, but in terms of quality the respective Zelda and Mario titles on the N64 are the only ones that compete imo. Maybe Mario Galaxy, but certainly no Zelda game since Ocarina.

Not only is it a lot better then the Wii U already, but it's probably the best Nintendo console since the N64 in terms of quality games. Some might argue and say the Wii or Gamecube were the last great Nintendo console, but in terms of quality the respective Zelda and Mario titles on the N64 are the only ones that compete imo. Maybe Mario Galaxy, but certainly no Zelda game since Ocarina.
disagree.  Majora was the last bad Zelda.  Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword were way better than ocarina and majora.

Sunshine was fantastic as were the galaxy games, way better than mario 64.

soera

Im still not convinced of its greatness. Sure Im a Sony fanboi but other than Odyssey and BotW, what does the Switch really have to offer that the PS4 does not?

*Edit* Just looked at a list of released/announced Switch titles. I had forgotten about Fire Emblem warriors. But still, that game isnt going to be strong enough to sell me a system. When Bravely Default 3 is announced as Switch only, then we will talk.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 11:31:26 pm by soera »

Im still not convinced of its greatness. Sure Im a Sony fanboi but other than Odyssey and BotW, what does the Switch really have to offer that the PS4 does not?

For me, since Microsoft is just nothing now, Sony and Nintendo are two sides of the same coin.  Sony has more mature titles and good JRPG's, where as Nintendo has some more interesting and light hearted games among others.  The Switch has Bayonetta, Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (If you never played the Wii U version), Splatoon 2, Arms, Mario + Rabbids, and a few others.  Also gotta keep in mind this is just the launch year.  I thought the Playstation 4 had jack squat till like Bloodborne personally and actually most launches tend to be on the weak side, so Nintendo did pretty well considering that.

I never really agreed with "The switch has gotta get those third parties or it's gonna die." To be frank, nobody buys a nintendo console for that. It'll help sales and it'll certainly be a blow to i if it doesn't do well in that area, but first party titles are generally what mainly sustains nintendo systems.

The appeal isn't "Oh,I'll get all the games I would've gotten on PS4" the appeal is "Oh, I can get Doom and Mario!"

Folks claim the Wii U died because of that, but it was a combination of that and poor marketting and rather slow first party releases.

sworddude

disagree.  Majora was the last bad Zelda.  Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword were way better than ocarina and majora.

Sunshine was fantastic as were the galaxy games, way better than mario 64.

N64 wasn't the most succesfull console maybe one of the least succesfull ones

However in terms of milestones

Mario 64, zelda ocarina of time, lylat wars and and even mario kart 64 were all revolutionary games, examples for many other games that were to come on newer consoles.

I can't say the same for many newer games, so in that aspect i might give the win to N64 even though the sales weren't that great.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 05:09:54 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

Personally I think the Wii and Gamecube just have more games that are enjoyable to play. The N64 was a good console but outside of say, the big mario games, the two zelda games and kirby 64, I have to really squint to find something enjoyable on it. Even then, Mario 64 is highly outclassed by the later Mario 3D platformers and its one niche, being open world, was done by Odyssey on 10x the scale anyway. The Zelda games hold up a little better but by now the concept of them has been done better.

I guess you could say I'm being unfair to it because it's old, but by contrast many games on say, the Super Nintendo hold up better and have more of a reason to come back to.