Author Topic: How do you store your cables?  (Read 1931 times)

How do you store your cables?
« on: February 07, 2018, 12:17:14 pm »
Heya everyone, over the years I've collected quite a few consoles and have an abundant amount of cables.
I was wondering how you all go about storing them and what are the best ways to do so?

Currently have them all in a backpack and need a more optimal way of putting them away. 

Re: How do you store your cables?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 12:46:24 pm »
I usually don't detach the cord, from the console. and I store extra cords inside boxes with the games in them :)
updated on 5-14-2024 5:30AM (EST)
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)
(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)
NO APPS NEEDED
64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage
over 28,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

https://nap.casthost.net:2199/start/Justinangelradio/

(requires Google Chrome or Firefox Edge does not work with this link but other links exist)

rayne315

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 02:30:21 pm »
I have 2 door mounted fabric shoe racks. 1 contains all my controllers and the other all my cords. they are all sectioned out so if I want to hook up a master system, a dreamcast, or anything not permanently set up I know where the exact cords I need are. for example my upper left one contains NES cords so my upper left controllers are all NES related.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 05:23:23 pm »
I have 2 door mounted fabric shoe racks. 1 contains all my controllers and the other all my cords. they are all sectioned out so if I want to hook up a master system, a dreamcast, or anything not permanently set up I know where the exact cords I need are. for example my upper left one contains NES cords so my upper left controllers are all NES related.

Nice, I'll have to look into getting one of those. Didn't think about that.

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 05:24:50 pm »
I usually don't detach the cord, from the console. and I store extra cords inside boxes with the games in them :)

I'd do that but I'd be afraid of damaging the ports.

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 10:54:34 pm »
I've got a notable abundance of cords & controllers- I use a set of Sterilite modular storage drawers from Target. Also- double-sided Velcro. Beats rubber bands or twist ties for cable bundling any day.

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 08:32:33 am »
I've got a notable abundance of cords & controllers- I use a set of Sterilite modular storage drawers from Target. Also- double-sided Velcro. Beats rubber bands or twist ties for cable bundling any day.

This is almost me exactly.  They aren't Sterilite, but I've got a plastic storage cabinet that houses all of my generic cords and the most utilized console stuff ATM.  Then I have labeled bins for each console that are filled with cables and controllers.  I have so many 64 controllers now that they are bleeding into other bins and such.

And I will double recommend those velcro strips.  They are fantastic.

tripredacus

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 09:38:28 am »
I coil up cables and tie them with a twist tie. Then they all go into a large tote. For small things like adapters I keep those in a different container.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2018, 01:54:15 pm »
Behind my T.V. is a web of wiring from multiple consoles, DVD player, VCR, TV, etc. There is no order, just chaos.

The extras I keep in one of those clear plastic dresser drawers thing you get at Wal-Mart. That's also where I store my controllers and light-guns.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2018, 02:02:16 pm »
Gallon ZipLoc storage bags.  Put your controllers and the appropriate cables in a bag.  Then, no tangles and it's easy to identify them. 

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2018, 05:03:28 pm »
One thing I do with my controllers and cables especially the cables was something I learned by trial and error when I first started and Ive never looked back since.  And it's Hefty zip lock freezer bags. :)

They have this white front label on them and you can write in the console name and stuff all the cables with zip ties or elastic bands in the bag.  It's so organized, and  compact when in the bag.  I have all my wires confined to one little cubby in big hefty zip lock bags. :D. Before they used to look like the pokemon tangela lol.

The one with the zip slide is the only good one for the job and the jumbo gallon size can fit about 5 controller or about 10 power cables.

Controllers I used to do the same but I recently bought a sterilite draw cabinet thingy.  It has 3 draws that ive labled Nintendo, Sega and PS.  It fits all the controllers cleanly and nicely :)

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2018, 11:26:50 am »
I have so many 64 controllers now that they are bleeding into other bins and such.

Interestingly, this is why my bins aren't labeled- I don't want to drive myself crazy constantly changing labels around (and I know I would).

I have a progression organization going on. Generic cables go in the bottom drawer, followed by gaming cables, specialty controllers, then my oldest system's controllers. The higher up you go, the newer the controllers get. That way if a console's controllers end up split across drawers (like the Xbox in my current setup), it technically doesn't mess up the system. Plus I can maximize space a little better.

Pre-Nintendo systems are the exception- all the cables & controllers for those are in a separate 3-drawer rolling cart. Since I tend to roll it into place to set up those consoles on the top of it, it's much more convenient. It also has a single Genesis controller in it- my Atari joysticks aren't the best right now, so... :p
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 11:29:51 am by hoshichiri »