Author Topic: How is retro game pricing as of Feb 2018?  (Read 5387 times)

sworddude

Re: How is retro game pricing as of Feb 2018?
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2018, 05:37:55 am »
Psp is Spiking quite a bit, same with ps2 and n64 stuff from what i've noticed. Nes and snes stuff is starting to drop a bit tho (not that i care about those systems). :P

Psp spiking quite a bit? that has to be a joke Psp prices are cheap even the very few expensive games are laugable compared to other consoles. There are a few limited edition here and there that are in the higher price ranges 100+ $ and some very limited released 300 piece games but those were always expensive to begin with and very limited hard to get anyways.

If that's a spike It's a pretty minor one Hexyz force one of the more rare sought after normal games has stayed in the 30 - 40 $ range if I am not mistaken. Psp will never be an expensive console since it mostly is an inferior ps2 console with some exclusives. It's the king of console ports on a handheld nothing more nothing less it is almost never the best way to play a game.

Also class of heroes 2 psp very limited release of less than 3000 in 2013 has most definitly not increased it's price maybe even a decrease one can get it for 60 - 80$ factory sealed with certificate I have no clue why one might think psp is spiking in any way. Pretty riciulous considering that the majority of the few expensive games that are on the psp are in the 30 - 50$ range including most of the special editions. Many of those so called expensive games have stayed in those very same prices with a slight in or decrease for many years.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 09:52:09 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2018, 08:19:45 am »
Another big thing I'd say is affecting prices is the changing focus of active collectors. A large amount people get into retro game collecting because they want to be nostalgic and get the games of their childhoods. However, with the core demographic (17-35 years old), we're reaching the point where the 4th generation is mostly becoming "before their time", so there's not as much desire to collect those older games. A 20-some year old is now more likely to have grown up with a N64 or PS1 than to have with a SNES or Genesis.
Today's twenty year olds we're five in 2003, they grew up with SpongeBob on PS2. In a few years we'll be dealing with 360 kids and only then will things slow down. And man, if views regarding emulation don't change, working 360s are going to fetch quite a price.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 04:48:37 pm by scraph4ppy »

tripredacus

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2018, 10:23:37 am »
For new used stock, I see some prices coming down, but unfortunately I am not seeing existing priced items getting new price tags. That seems to be the case at any shops selling older games. Ebay is a crap shoot for me. The volume is down and I think that the buyers (maybe indicative of the amount of collectors in total?) are down also. I say this because some things that should sell at listed prices do not, other things can be gotten quite easily. I only look at Auctions for this experience. For Ebay while it seems like it is getting better, because the volume is down it feel more like it is doing a lateral move.

I think that once CRT TVs fully disappear from thrift stores is when we will see a big drop in the game market. The small one we are seeing now seems to be relating to that. Because without a proper display, or a proper upscaler, there will be less demand. While we may like to think people collect video games for the heck of it, collectors (of anything) are always in the minority of a market. The common folk had gotten into games, which was why the scalpers/resellers got into it and everyone was trying to sell SMB3 for $50.

The dedicated gamers or collectors will always be there, but they do not effect market prices except for certain items. The overall market is dictated by the regular joe, or the other 95% (to use a Hasbro analogy).

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2018, 02:29:37 pm »
I think that once CRT TVs fully disappear from thrift stores is when we will see a big drop in the game market. The small one we are seeing now seems to be relating to that. Because without a proper display, or a proper upscaler, there will be less demand. While we may like to think people collect video games for the heck of it, collectors (of anything) are always in the minority of a market. The common folk had gotten into games, which was why the scalpers/resellers got into it and everyone was trying to sell SMB3 for $50.

The dedicated gamers or collectors will always be there, but they do not effect market prices except for certain items. The overall market is dictated by the regular joe, or the other 95% (to use a Hasbro analogy).

I'm not so sure about this one- while CRT TVs impeding scarcity will affect certain things, the biggest systems (NES, SNES, Genesis) have many modern clones that are HDMI friendly. Couple that with many (if not all) newer TVs still supporting composite, and the 'average joes' really aren't going to have any trouble finding a way to play these old games. I imagine the few who aren't content with the blurry composite input on their HDTV will be the few willing to ask at a game store/online & will know about the clone systems and upscalers as a result.

sworddude

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2018, 06:42:59 pm »

I'm not so sure about this one- while CRT TVs impeding scarcity will affect certain things, the biggest systems (NES, SNES, Genesis) have many modern clones that are HDMI friendly. Couple that with many (if not all) newer TVs still supporting composite, and the 'average joes' really aren't going to have any trouble finding a way to play these old games. I imagine the few who aren't content with the blurry composite input on their HDTV will be the few willing to ask at a game store/online & will know about the clone systems and upscalers as a result.

I will give him credit though the regular joe theory for the more hyped good games. It's mainly thanks to the gameplay that prices have become that high in this hobby rarity is a bonus for those who want to get deeper into the hobby to get all the rare items for a said nostalgic console, if people seek nostalgic things to the past they don't mind to spend some there are limits though. Only a mere fraction is a serious collector especially with full sets. That mere fraction usually finds more enjoyment into collecting than actually enjoying the gameplay of the better games but the ones that are actually playing them games are the once that increased those prices to begin with except for the very rare items that only very few people aside from the hardcore collectors care about. Than again to each their own everyone has different things to enjoy in the hobby.

Still though I would have expected perfect cheap emulation or flash carts to have a more solid effect on the prices. Than again maybe it has since lose carts are not that expensive and cib collectors are a diffrent breed compared to most collectors since they want the real deal and spend allot more on the cardboard than the cardridge  since the differences in prices are usually multiple times the value of lose carts when the condition is nice.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 08:14:14 pm by sworddude »

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2018, 10:19:56 pm »
Anyone saying certain console prices are "spiking" right now are completely wrong. Nothing is spiking overall right now. Nearly everything is plateauing or falling right now. Some consoles were falling pretty hard and then experienced a slight uptick because of people probably capitalizing on the lower prices, creating demand, which drove prices up a little.

As many have said, interest is vanishing among the community, collections are being sold off, and there is a lot of burnout too. Anyone entering the hobby right now or really for the past 4-years is not going to enjoy it like those of us who got into it before that and could find 50 game NES lots for $50 or other awesome deals like that.

This really makes me wonder what the retro gaming community will look like in 5-year or even 10-years from now. Kids that were born in the early/mid 2000s will be the same age as most of us when we got into collecting NES or Genesis games, and obviously most of them have never known what it's like to game on anything that doesn't use CDs, at least for home consoles. At this point I can't see any retro console having more than a handful or really expensive games ($50+), pretty much the same as modern Atari prices.

sworddude

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2018, 07:27:23 am »
Anyone saying certain console prices are "spiking" right now are completely wrong. Nothing is spiking overall right now. Nearly everything is plateauing or falling right now. Some consoles were falling pretty hard and then experienced a slight uptick because of people probably capitalizing on the lower prices, creating demand, which drove prices up a little.

As many have said, interest is vanishing among the community, collections are being sold off, and there is a lot of burnout too. Anyone entering the hobby right now or really for the past 4-years is not going to enjoy it like those of us who got into it before that and could find 50 game NES lots for $50 or other awesome deals like that.

This really makes me wonder what the retro gaming community will look like in 5-year or even 10-years from now. Kids that were born in the early/mid 2000s will be the same age as most of us when we got into collecting NES or Genesis games, and obviously most of them have never known what it's like to game on anything that doesn't use CDs, at least for home consoles. At this point I can't see any retro console having more than a handful or really expensive games ($50+), pretty much the same as modern Atari prices.

Still though I really wonder what will happen with those limited run ps4 games.

I personally would hardly believe that the new generations are the ones that are interested in those even if they grew up with ps4 more for the older generations if I might guess.

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2018, 09:44:32 am »

I personally would hardly believe that the new generations are the ones that are interested in those even if they grew up with ps4 more for the older generations if I might guess.

I imagine they'll be sought-after collectables, assuming by the time the ps4 kids grow up enough to have nostalgia money that buying physical anything is still something people do.

I mean, if you look at the games that garner the really big bucks these days, it's the stuff that's fun to play, but didn't sell well. It's not like the people who ran up the price on Little Samson and Earthbound did so becuase they grew up with the games. It's more of a word of mouth thing... adult fans looking to maybe try something new, learn about these games years later & want to give it a go.

That will work in LRG's favor later on, when people remember the games from their digital downloads but can't buy them anymore becuase the store is offline. People will start hunting down LRG's 'good' game releases, which will cause the others to go at least somewhat by association. Kind of like the 'I don't know what this is, but it's Altus so I'll take it' that I experienced at a con swap years ago.

tripredacus

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2018, 10:41:47 am »
there is a lot of burnout too.

I think another factor is that there are a lot of other options besides having to track down carts. Many longtime collectors are getting out of buying physical games (besides perhaps some high value items) and buying flashcarts. New flashcarts are coming out for new consoles all the time. Krikkz has the Everdrives and Terraonion released their NeoSD for AES and MVS and just recently the Super SD 3 for PC Engine/PCE CD/Turbo Grafx 16. Options like these take collectors out of the market because then they don't have to buy carts to play games anymore.

And Nintendo has figured out how to get people to pay for roms, which started with Virtual Console, but the obviously more popular NES and SNES mini. People with a nostalgia for Nintendo games are buying these and this is taking people out of the market as well.

sworddude

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2018, 10:57:29 am »

I imagine they'll be sought-after collectables, assuming by the time the ps4 kids grow up enough to have nostalgia money that buying physical anything is still something people do.

I mean, if you look at the games that garner the really big bucks these days, it's the stuff that's fun to play, but didn't sell well. It's not like the people who ran up the price on Little Samson and Earthbound did so becuase they grew up with the games. It's more of a word of mouth thing... adult fans looking to maybe try something new, learn about these games years later & want to give it a go.

That will work in LRG's favor later on, when people remember the games from their digital downloads but can't buy them anymore becuase the store is offline. People will start hunting down LRG's 'good' game releases, which will cause the others to go at least somewhat by association. Kind of like the 'I don't know what this is, but it's Altus so I'll take it' that I experienced at a con swap years ago.

but most LRG releases are based of old games why would a new generation be interested in say shantaea or some old shoot em ups with some extra options wild guns reloaded not LRG but still would make little sense to me.

I can understand some popular normal games horizon dawn witcher gravity rush actual ps4 games but not indy games based on older games.

Also little samson and earthbound are the kind of games that people like that being said many of the more affordable sought after games have somewhat the same genre's so It's not really the same like the indy retro scene on ps4.

Little samson is an action platformer people dig these kind of games on 8 bit systems plenty of other nes games that fit that genre it just so happens that little samson is one of the better ones. Earthbound is an old school rpg with a different twist but still the kind of game that people dig so obviously many people want to own and play them.

Also some ps2 shoot emups that are pretty high priced in europe do not fitt the bill for your ps2 nostalgia collector, maybe an excuse for some sega saturn lovers etc since those are arcade ports of old games mostly of those older sega consoles or arcade machines only. I'm pretty sure different collectors than ps2 nostalgia collectors. Rules of rose kuon I guess since survival horror is a big thing on ps2 and people love that genre thanks to the actual popular games like resident evil and silent hill.

I agree with the word to mouth thing since most likely not many have played these rare games but at the very least they fit the genres of the more popular classics of that generation I'm not seeing that with those LRG on ps4 since those are games based on the past. In my opinion probably allot of collectors who find the ps4 to fill their gap for retro stuff older generations of collectors.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 12:13:30 pm by sworddude »

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2018, 05:51:19 pm »
but most LRG releases are based of old games why would a new generation be interested in say shantaea or some old shoot em ups with some extra options wild guns reloaded not LRG but still would make little sense to me.

I can understand some popular normal games horizon dawn witcher gravity rush actual ps4 games but not indy games based on older games.

Also little samson and earthbound are the kind of games that people like that being said many of the more affordable sought after games have somewhat the same genre's so It's not really the same like the indy retro scene on ps4.

Little samson is an action platformer people dig these kind of games on 8 bit systems plenty of other nes games that fit that genre it just so happens that little samson is one of the better ones. Earthbound is an old school rpg with a different twist but still the kind of game that people dig so obviously many people want to own and play them.

Also some ps2 shoot emups that are pretty high priced in europe do not fitt the bill for your ps2 nostalgia collector, maybe an excuse for some sega saturn lovers etc since those are arcade ports of old games mostly of those older sega consoles or arcade machines only. I'm pretty sure different collectors than ps2 nostalgia collectors. Rules of rose kuon I guess since survival horror is a big thing on ps2 and people love that genre thanks to the actual popular games like resident evil and silent hill.

I agree with the word to mouth thing since most likely not many have played these rare games but at the very least they fit the genres of the more popular classics of that generation I'm not seeing that with those LRG on ps4 since those are games based on the past. In my opinion probably allot of collectors who find the ps4 to fill their gap for retro stuff older generations of collectors.

You say the games LRG is releasing won't gain notoriety due to being indie throwbacks, and the holy grails of gaming are typically hidden gems of genres/game styles popular during the system's heyday. Here's the thing though- right now, one of the most popular type of games out there IS indie throwbacks! From underwhelming but overhyped titles like Yooka-Laylee and Mighty No. 9, to critical darlings like Cuphead & Stardew Valley, the kind of games LRG is putting out are a trend of the current era. I just find it unlikely that, of all the titles they've got, they aren't going to hit at least a few that build an audience later on. I think the bigger threat to LRG games becoming properly collectible down the road is a general move away from physical game collecting- which is already happening, it seems. 

sworddude

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2018, 06:13:26 pm »

You say the games LRG is releasing won't gain notoriety due to being indie throwbacks, and the holy grails of gaming are typically hidden gems of genres/game styles popular during the system's heyday. Here's the thing though- right now, one of the most popular type of games out there IS indie throwbacks! From underwhelming but overhyped titles like Yooka-Laylee and Mighty No. 9, to critical darlings like Cuphead & Stardew Valley, the kind of games LRG is putting out are a trend of the current era. I just find it unlikely that, of all the titles they've got, they aren't going to hit at least a few that build an audience later on. I think the bigger threat to LRG games becoming properly collectible down the road is a general move away from physical game collecting- which is already happening, it seems.

Yea sure those indi throwbacks are the most popular games for the retro gaming scene that is. The normal ps4 audience is not super interested in those kind of games the big titles those are the games that are for the new generation that grew up with ps4 those are actual ps4 titles. The vast majority of those indi game sales are from people who enjoy retro games not from the normal audience It's a niche even titles as cup head wich do have a slight edge of being disney otherwise It's all retro gaming scene. Yooka Laylee was made especially for n64 collecta ton fans might no 9 was a mega man like game. Stardew valley is a 16 bit game.

There is no connection to the normal ps4 library with such games if i'm honest It's quite the different story compared to the older consoles since the indy games are especially made for those of the retro gaming scene. Without the retro gaming scene there was no LRG and there would be far less retro styled indi games. LRG and the other retro indy games are for the older generations and the people who like retro stuff not the people who grew up with ps4.

At this moment LRG have plenty of attention since people who enjoy retro games will buy from them however when years pass and those people lose interest I highly doubt that the generation that grew up with ps4 would pick a retro styled indy game. Maybe nier, witcher horizon dawn GTA some racing game you name it actual ps4 games from the time.

Also As far as holy grails go, Snes in paticular pretty much all the rarities are great games For nes there are far less titles but just a few wich are super rare and excellent. In most cases very rare games are just plain bad but snes is the exception to this rule compared to most other consoles for the very high end stuff wich are excellent games. Even if the games were uncommon and fairly expensive they would be loved since they fit the genre of other popular series of the time. Even pretty expensive non holy grail items are your typical hidden gems on for example snes, they are interesting, and another experience in loved genre that was typical for the time or in rare cases a unique game but in a 16 bit style with some elements of good games. It still is the 16 bit era even if the gameplay is unique. The indy scene however is a throwback to the past generations with some tweeks and extra's in the current era it has no connection to the ps4 or xbox one.

Just look at some sought after games on snes they are typical games in typical genre's meant for the console of the time.

Hagane a fantastic action platformer
Sunset riders your typical run and gun arcade game
Earthbound 16 bit rpg
Mega man X3 need I say any more
EVO and pocky and rocky are pretty different since these are rare niche genre's but they are 16 bit styled in music and grapics and have elements of other games of the time.

If you liked the more common games of these genre or certain elements than obviously you will proabably like any of these no questions asked. Pretty much no one has played those games however they have elements, music, grapics or are in the same genre as some of the more popular well known series wich they did play in the past.

I'm not saying LRG is bad I find them games pretty interesting I just don't see new generations picking them up since these games are targetted at the older audience wich are collecting retro games. Maybe a very small amount but I can imagine it being a pretty rare thing. It's pretty different compared to older consoles with actual games of the time actual nostalgia.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 06:40:55 pm by sworddude »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2018, 06:15:03 pm »
I think people are moving to other collections, too.

I sure has as hell have been seeing a surge of collectors in the horror & VHS stuff. That stuff used to be plentiful like retro gaming was in the early 2000s. It's starting to dry up out there. And my VHS collecting group on Facebook has practically doubled in size in the last year.

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2018, 06:29:42 pm »

I sure has as hell have been seeing a surge of collectors in the horror & VHS stuff. That stuff used to be plentiful like retro gaming was in the early 2000s. It's starting to dry up out there. And my VHS collecting group on Facebook has practically doubled in size in the last year.
Tell me about it I walk into one of my local goodwills and there are like 5 people sitting on the ground and blocking the aisle with their carts full of the and I was like seriously I just want to look at the games.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2018, 09:10:21 am »

A ton of people that are/were into retro games went that route.  It was cheap and fun to do.  Look out Betamax.  Folks will be coming for you.
I think it's fun for people to collect stuff.  If they have an interest in it, it doesn't matter what it is.