Author Topic: March Nintendo Direct  (Read 1816 times)

March Nintendo Direct
« on: March 08, 2018, 05:40:24 pm »
So wow, Smash Bros for Switch announced for 2018 with the Inklings coming. I wonder if it'll be just a port or a full release.  They didn't give it any other tag to it aside from Super Smash Bros, which sorta makes me feel like they could be looking at making it essentially Smash 5 perhaps, but that's just me guessing.

Other stuff was announced, dates for games.  I'll start posting that stuff here in a minute.  Skipping 3DS stuff...

- Okami HD this summer.  Touch screen and Joy con motion support.

- Sushi Striker on Switch and 3DS June 8th.

- Octopath Traveler July 13th.

- Dark Souls Remastered May 25th with Solaire Amiibo

- Mario Tennis Aces June 22nd.

- Captain Toad Treasure Tracker on Switch and 3DS July 13th. Mario Odyssey stages.

- Undertale on Switch.

- Crash Bandicoot Trilogy July 10th.

- Little Nightmares on Switch with Amiibo support.

- South Park: The Fractured But Whole April 24th.

- Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition on May 18th.

- Splatoon 3.0 release in April.  Lots of new clothing, maps, etc...

- Splatoon 2: Octo is singleplayer expansion.  20 dollars at release this summer. 

- Super Smash Bros confirmed for 2018 with Inklings as new characters.  BOTW Link also confirmed.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 05:55:50 pm by kamikazekeeg »

telly

Re: March Nintendo Direct
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 06:06:26 pm »
Personally I'm like 99% sure that it's a port. It's releasing this year, for crying out loud. If you look at Smash 4 it was announced at E3 a whole year before it actually came out. Nintendo takes their time hyping up Smash. Furthermore, the Inkling video leading up to it played exactly like the fighter skits that were in the Wii U game. I imagine they're doing the same thing they did with MK8 and Pokken DX, with all the DLC added and a couple new characters.

Anyway, I thought this direct was pretty disappointing. The only things I liked watching were stuff about the new games like Octopath Traveler (which looks amazing) and MT Aces. The rest of the Direct was almost all ports. Like all of it. The Wii U got gutted another title, LM, Okami HD, Crash, Bowser's Inside Story, Dark Souls, Undertale, etc. etc.
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 06:53:13 pm »
Personally I'm like 99% sure that it's a port. It's releasing this year, for crying out loud. If you look at Smash 4 it was announced at E3 a whole year before it actually came out. Nintendo takes their time hyping up Smash. Furthermore, the Inkling video leading up to it played exactly like the fighter skits that were in the Wii U game. I imagine they're doing the same thing they did with MK8 and Pokken DX, with all the DLC added and a couple new characters.

Anyway, I thought this direct was pretty disappointing. The only things I liked watching were stuff about the new games like Octopath Traveler (which looks amazing) and MT Aces. The rest of the Direct was almost all ports. Like all of it. The Wii U got gutted another title, LM, Okami HD, Crash, Bowser's Inside Story, Dark Souls, Undertale, etc. etc.

Yeah it'll likely just be a big 4.5 type of release than full new game.  Being a new game or a port is mostly just for excitement level as a port I'll be interested in, but not really have a lot of anticipation for.  Curious to know if Breath of the Wild Link will be a new character or just a skin as it would be a tad odd to tease just a skin for him like that I feel.  Kinda hoping new character as it opens up a lot of new ability possibilities.

The Direct was about what I expected, which is mostly just getting dates and stuff out for upcoming games.  In that way, the lack of anything new outside of the very end definitely wasn't too great, but I had low expectations as I figured that big leak that came out wasn't going to be true at all and it turned out completely wrong (The only one they got was an incredibly easy guess).

hexen

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 10:45:31 pm »
It may have mainly been ports, but they where pretty big in terms of what they where. Particularly South Park, helping shed the sheltered Nintendo image a bit, and the N-Sane Trilogy, which is just 3 classic games on the Nintendo for the first time. Smash was expected eventually of course. In terms of new games, they've already played a lot of their hand with big series first parties... Mario, Zelda, Yoshi, Kirby, Metroid, Pokemon... all either released or in development. Other popular ports like Undertale and Okami are just giving the Switch more value so third parties remain interested.

I wasn't expecting anything new super exciting just yet, would have had to have been like a Majora's Mask style asset re-use for any of the big names.
Take a spin, now you're in with the techno set! You're going surfing on the internet!

soera

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 12:25:05 am »
- Crash Bandicoot Trilogy July 10th.

So since Nintendo is taking one of my PlayStation mascots, do we get a Zelda game on the PS4?

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2018, 12:40:37 am »
From the sound of it, Smash might not just be a port, like Mario Kart or Hyrule Warriors.  It might not end up being as big as a "Smash 5", but perhaps more of a 4.5.  The lack of "For Switch" is a big noticeable element, which seems weird to not have at this point if they weren't going to have it be that way, because why wait on that, so people are thinking it might get a proper title like "Brawl" or "Melee".  Maybe they split the difference by essentially building off what Smash 4 did, and adding to that, compared to overhauling everything which would take a lot more time.  That way they can include all the content, while adding more to it.

With that, what do people want to see character wise that is new? Inkling has been a hopeful character for awhile, so its great to get them in proper now, but there's plenty more they could add.  Also find it interesting that Champion Link is happening.  Some are saying that he'll likely replace Twilight Princess Link, which makes a lot of sense, so hopefully he has new abilities to go with that as I've always enjoyed playing as Link.

I think at the top, specifically Nintendo related, we should get Rex and Pyra from Xenoblade Chronicles 2.  It makes the most sense after Splatoon.  I'd love the option to be able to switch between Pyra and Mythra, maybe depending on the outfit chosen.  I guess she'd be sorta like how Ice Climbers are, in the background following Rex with the energy tether.  Lots of cool looking moves they could use.

Another obvious one is Arms.  It may not be as huge as Splatoon, but they are perfect character wise, especially from a fighting game, having it be two characters of Spring Boy and Ribbon Girl like the Inklings will be.  I don't care for the game, but those characters are top notch.

A third party addition I'd love to see, especially with the final big DLC for it coming out this year, is Shovel Knight.  Give him an alternate Black Knight look too.  He's been in more than a few crossovers, so why not put him into one of the biggest crossovers possible?

And finally, in the spirit of a crazy crossover, where we were shocked as heck to see stuff like Ryu and Cloud, I say we should get Banjo-Kazooie.  Microsoft owns Minecraft, which is on the 3DS/Wii U/Switch, they have DLC content that puts in BK and Master Chief skins (Which would honestly be another nutso inclusion), and yes these reasons are stretched like hell to make even slight sense, so perhaps a deal comes together that they can use BK, have a map set on Spiral mountain, let there be a BK amiibo, and maybe even consider releasing the HD remasters of the two original games onto the Nintendo eShop...

Yes, that last part might be some extra double stretching, but I can dream can't I? lol

So since Nintendo is taking one of my PlayStation mascots, do we get a Zelda game on the PS4?

Playstation mascot? You mean the Activision mascot, right?

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2018, 02:13:40 am »
I think 4.5 is more accurate, but this doesn't mean it is going to be a remake. It is probably using the same game engine as 4 and also boring at least 75% the roster and stages. With that said, there will still be enough new content to make this game feel like an actual sequel. I could be completely wrong about this on both ends (it might just be a pure port like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe or it could be completely new), but given it'll have been 4-years since Smash 4 was released by the time this gets put out, a 4.5 seems to be the most probable outcome. We will see I guess.

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2018, 02:48:26 am »
Definitely makes the most sense.  Redesign the UI and menu's abit, add a few new modes and features, redesign some characters and abilities, and just add more new characters to the game.  This feels like the best possibility, as BOTW Link would replace TP Link, Mario could have some Cappy additions, Kirby could utilize a new thing or two from his recent games, Samus could look like Samus Returns or whatever Metroid Prime 4 will be, and Ganondorf could look like the Hyrule Warriors version, which is his best design, and could actually give him a moveset that has a sword, because holy cow I never realized how unrelated Ganondorf's movest is lol

I'm sure a couple others could get altered slightly or see improvements like Zelda from BOTW perhaps (She has a dress option if that is necessary that they could use, though her traveling outfit is best).  Sidenote...Hyrule Warriors offers some super dope character possibilities.  Impa, Linkle, and Volga would be top options for me and makes a lot of sense being that Bandai Namco worked on the last Smash and could possibly be working on this one too.

arkaneer

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2018, 07:49:14 am »
I think it was a pretty mediocre Direct.

Looking at the strong ongoing sales of Mario Kart Deluxe, I'd be amazed if Smash is not a straight port with a few tweeks. With minimum effort, it will be a license to print money!

I think if you owned a Wii U and have a PS4/Xbone, 2018 looks a bit thin on the ground for the Switch in terms of brand new exclusive games:

Labo
Octopath Traveller
Kirby Star Aces
Yoshi
Travis Strikes Again
Mario Tennis

Everything else is a port or will look better on the PS4 tbh.

2019 looks very promising though with the possibility of Fire Emblems, Metroid Prime 4, Pokemon and most importantly Bayo 3.

I'm trying to hold out to autumn before I buy a Switch, and this Direct helped.

pizzasafari

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2018, 10:51:32 am »
SPLATOON 2 EXPANSION BAY-BEEEEEE

I'm pretty hyped for it, it looks awesome. It looks like it's going to finally make Sploon 2 into the sequel it should have been.

Other than that and a couple of ports I was a bit meh about it overall, but I'm just happy to see Sploon get some more love.

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2018, 06:48:35 pm »
As someone who never bought a Wii U, I've been loving the Wii U to Switch ports.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2018, 08:49:18 am »
As someone who never bought a Wii U, I've been loving the Wii U to Switch ports.

There's a bunch of you out there.  You're who they're doing that for.  Enjoy

desocietas

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2018, 12:16:46 pm »

It's a little tough on me from a collector's standpoint. We got a Wii U recently, and I started picking up some exclusives I'd been eying for a while, but with the Switch ports, it makes it difficult to make the decision to purchase or not. Especially with how some of these items might be hard to find later :/
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2018, 09:12:25 am »

It's a little tough on me from a collector's standpoint. We got a Wii U recently, and I started picking up some exclusives I'd been eying for a while, but with the Switch ports, it makes it difficult to make the decision to purchase or not. Especially with how some of these items might be hard to find later :/

Be an idiot collector like me!  Buy them both!!!!!  ;)