Author Topic: Do you like your job?  (Read 2689 times)

Do you like your job?
« on: July 01, 2018, 04:12:08 pm »
Mine makes me profoundly unhappy.

Sometimes I genuinely believe homelessness would be better.

Re: Do you like your job?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2018, 08:00:07 pm »
Mine makes me profoundly unhappy.

Sometimes I genuinely believe homelessness would be better.

Well if you were homeless how would you be able to play your video games? or even have a video game collection?

I don't have a paying job but at least I have a home and an income
updated on 5-14-2024 5:30AM (EST)
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)
(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)
NO APPS NEEDED
64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage
over 28,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

https://nap.casthost.net:2199/start/Justinangelradio/

(requires Google Chrome or Firefox Edge does not work with this link but other links exist)

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 08:22:26 pm »
I do now, yes. I don't think any job is perfect, but life is to short to work somewhere you hate or at the very least tolerate just enough to not have have a mental breakdown. It took me a long time to find a job I liked and I really hope it lasts.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2018, 09:35:19 pm »
I've been at my job for 28 years I hate it but I know it could be worse

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2018, 10:11:20 pm »
Use your job as a stepping stone to bigger and better things look at it like your just passing till a better opportunity arises.  Maybe look into a new hobby how about investing time into crypto currencies that is what i started doing myself about 4 months ago its keeps me motivated.

pizzasafari

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2018, 11:06:51 pm »
That's a complicated question. I'm a coal miner by trade. Before I got into it I was always really flabby, and since starting I've built a lot of muscle so I liked it at first, but a few months ago we got a new foreman and he's been on a bit of a power spree. There's a chamber deep in the mine that we've taken to calling the party room, it's like this big open chamber where with a pit dug out into the floor and it's barely lit. Every Tuesday and Thursday (he has a fascination with the letter T) he calls an assembly in the party room where pairs us all up at random and forces each pair to take turns fighting each other to the death in the pit with pickaxes. He plans to keep it going until only one miner survives, and the reward is going to be a month's supply of pizza, which I'm rather looking forward to as I really like pizza, so I've acclimatised to the change pretty well. Though I'm starting to get a bit worried about the foreman, I'm sure it's normal for bosses but every now and then he sprouts wings and horns and tells us that if we ever try to leave the mine he'll send our souls to the underworld, which definitely strikes me as a violation of my employment contract but I really want that pizza. Overall I'd say the job has its ups and downs but my feelings lean more towards the positive. I'm starting to miss my family though.

ferraroso

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2018, 11:31:55 pm »
That's a complicated question. I'm a coal miner by trade. Before I got into it I was always really flabby, and since starting I've built a lot of muscle so I liked it at first, but a few months ago we got a new foreman and he's been on a bit of a power spree. There's a chamber deep in the mine that we've taken to calling the party room, it's like this big open chamber where with a pit dug out into the floor and it's barely lit. Every Tuesday and Thursday (he has a fascination with the letter T) he calls an assembly in the party room where pairs us all up at random and forces each pair to take turns fighting each other to the death in the pit with pickaxes. He plans to keep it going until only one miner survives, and the reward is going to be a month's supply of pizza, which I'm rather looking forward to as I really like pizza, so I've acclimatised to the change pretty well. Though I'm starting to get a bit worried about the foreman, I'm sure it's normal for bosses but every now and then he sprouts wings and horns and tells us that if we ever try to leave the mine he'll send our souls to the underworld, which definitely strikes me as a violation of my employment contract but I really want that pizza. Overall I'd say the job has its ups and downs but my feelings lean more towards the positive. I'm starting to miss my family though.

I envy you. At least you seem to have a good internet connection down there.
And good luck with that pizza challenge, it sounds fun!

soera

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2018, 11:47:13 pm »
I have to give a resounding NO. I fucking hate my job. I'm miserable as fuck every day.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2018, 09:07:37 am »
I actually do like my job. I’ve been here nearly 13 years. Im still pretty happy doing my job. Life is better when I get to do some actual problem solving instead of just crunching numbers.

Don’t get me wrong. It’s still work.  If everyone liked their job, we wouldn’t call it work.

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2018, 09:14:23 am »
Firstly- jobs for me- the Northwest is an expensive place! Lots of game though ;)

Secondly- eh, s'alright. They're both retail jobs so the quality varies drastically by time of year & what kind of customers I get that day. A bad day in December can make you want to walk into traffic. Oh the whole though, I like my co-workers and immediate management, which is SO IMPORTANT for getting though things, y'know? (Although I do hate it when the department store has callouts and decides to pull me from my assigned zone & stick me somewhere I don't know well, alone, & expect me to handle everything on my own. 'This isn't my department' isn't laziness, it's a quiet cry of exasperation from an overwhelmed employee.)

Now, the interesting thing about working 2 jobs in retail, is seeing how differently things go bad for the holiday rush. One store, people get demanding (I want this specific thing I saw online, and you will call every other store in the country to find it & have it mailed to me, & I'm not paying shipping but I need it here in 2 days.) At the other store, they get amazingly dumb (No, this is not on sale. Yes, I found the ad sign- it was 10 feet away, on the other side of the aisle. It was also for frames. You're buying paint.) It's fascinating, really!

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2018, 03:13:12 pm »
It's okay, but I don't see much of a future in it.

I'm in a "creative" job (motion graphics), but I don't feel creative anymore. The constant harsh deadlines often conflict with spending time to develop anything new and innovative. Add to that, I've never been that great at drawing.

Because it's also considered a "fun" job, it attracts no shortage of people straight out of college who will work for peanuts, just to get their foot in the door. Consequently the general wages and budgets for this type of work are trending downward.

I'd like to switch over to a broadcast technician, or maybe flip the script entirely and learn how to become an electrician. Does anyone here do that?

rayne315

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2018, 05:01:39 pm »
I love my job so much. I work with great like minded people doing something I had always wanted to do, at a company I have always wanted to work for, and I make significantly more money than I ever dreamed I would, and live in a place where the cost of living is next to nothing so my wealth is building at a much faster rate than most. in my work it is busy but gives enough downtime that I can view here and do research for stocks which is another hobby of mine.

Pretty much the closest I can get to a dream job. only thing I can ask for more than I have is better vacation time. my vacation time maxes out at 4 weeks regardless of how long I work for them but I am allowed to take up to 2 months off during a year and still be employed, just unpaid.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 05:09:46 pm by rayne315 »
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

kypherion

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2018, 01:19:16 am »
If you don't mind me asking, what is your job?

And I guess I like my job. I get tip money too so being a busser is cool I guess.
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

kypherion

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2018, 01:21:23 am »

Oh my god you always do this and it's absolutely fantastic
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

Flashback2012

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2018, 02:19:09 am »
Job? Yes. Management and ownership? Not so much.