Author Topic: Have You Ever Played An Intellivision or a Colecovision Console or Flashback?  (Read 1705 times)

In my opinion the controllers for both the Colecovision and Intellivision flashback is terrible. I do like both the systems graphics but the controller ruins the experience for me. On both these game consoles. take a look at these controllers. But the games have revolutionary graphics for their time

Intellivision

ColecoVision
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 01:58:47 pm by oldgamerz »
updated on 5-14-2024 5:30AM (EST)
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)
(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)
NO APPS NEEDED
64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage
over 28,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

https://nap.casthost.net:2199/start/Justinangelradio/

(requires Google Chrome or Firefox Edge does not work with this link but other links exist)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Yeah. My dad used to have an old Intellivision, long after it's prime. And I'd play it at his house when I visited.

I too hated that damn controller. But the controller inserts you'd lay over the buttons were kind of cool.

I'd get bored with it quickly, because this was well into the NES's lifespan when I played it and was spoiled by the NES's greatly superior gameplay.

I thought colecovision controllers felt pretty good.

topspot123

I definitely got used to the Colecovision controllers as it was our first console.  Intellivision controllers on the other hand...I like the games, but it feels like I'm fighting the clunky controller as much as the enemies. 

Me and a friend found an Intellivision at a flea market, with a box full of games, nothing amazing, but it was a really unusual and random find for us.  I brought it home to test everything and clean the carts if I could, so I played a little bit.  It was incredibly bad lol I know it's a "for the time it was super cool", but going back, it really makes you thankful for the NES era of gaming.

aliensstudios

I have the Intellivision Flashback. The system itself is fine, but the selling point for me was the controllers. I modded my Intellivision to be compatible with these controllers so I don't have to use the old hard-wired controllers.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

Flashback2012

I never have cared for the Intellivision or its Godawful controllers. TBH the Colecovision ones weren't much better but that joystick made a world of difference and growing up I pined like crazy for a Colecovision and never gave the Intellivision a second thought.

Years ago I found a Colecovision on the cheap at the flea market and snapped it up but for the life of me I have NO idea what happened to the system (I think my little brother stole/sold it).  :-\

I picked up one of the Colecovision Flashback systems on clearance but I've never gotten around to hooking it up.  :P

I never have cared for the Intellivision or its Godawful controllers. TBH the Colecovision ones weren't much better but that joystick made a world of difference and growing up I pined like crazy for a Colecovision and never gave the Intellivision a second thought.

Years ago I found a Colecovision on the cheap at the flea market and snapped it up but for the life of me I have NO idea what happened to the system (I think my little brother stole/sold it).  :-\

I picked up one of the Colecovision Flashback systems on clearance but I've never gotten around to hooking it up.  :P

I thought colecovision controllers felt pretty good.

On the Colecovision Flashback (not sure about the real thing but)  the joystick on the controller breaks easy with extensive use of the console. and you need to use the joystick for all the 60 games on the system, the plastic controller on the Colecovision flashback is not well built and as a result mine no longer has a joystick that registers
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 08:27:08 pm by oldgamerz »
updated on 5-14-2024 5:30AM (EST)
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)
(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)
NO APPS NEEDED
64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage
over 28,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

https://nap.casthost.net:2199/start/Justinangelradio/

(requires Google Chrome or Firefox Edge does not work with this link but other links exist)

topspot123

I have the Intellivision Flashback. The system itself is fine, but the selling point for me was the controllers. I modded my Intellivision to be compatible with these controllers so I don't have to use the old hard-wired controllers.

I'm interested to know more about this.  Do you have any more information you can point me to?

One of the things that most attracted me to purchase the Colecovision Flashback was the controllers.  I made a perfectly logical assumption that the Flashback controllers would be cross compatible with the old hardware and it never hurts to have a few extra controllers around.  But alas, even though it uses the same 9 pin connector, I've heard the pin-out is different!  How moronic!

aliensstudios

I'm interested to know more about this.  Do you have any more information you can point me to?

One of the things that most attracted me to purchase the Colecovision Flashback was the controllers.  I made a perfectly logical assumption that the Flashback controllers would be cross compatible with the old hardware and it never hurts to have a few extra controllers around.  But alas, even though it uses the same 9 pin connector, I've heard the pin-out is different!  How moronic!
It is indeed a different pin-out (at least in the case of the Intellivision)
The guys over at the Intellivisionaries.com have created two adaptors that allow for the Intellivision Flashback controllers to be used on the original Intellivision/III and Intellivision 2 hardware. I bought mine a year or so ago and have been very happy with the purchase. Since I have the Atari 2600 system changer, I can even play Atari games on the Intellivision controller which is pretty fun.

More info if youre interested in this: http://intellivisionaries.com/flashback/

In terms of the Colecovision, I believe it's the same scenario although I have heard on AtariAge that they are backwards compatible but never looked further into it. I know for sure the 2600 Flashback controllers are compatible with the original systems. Personally, I was interested in the Intellivision Flashback controllers simply because they are nearly identical replicas with better side buttons.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

It’s been years since I played the original. I don’t remember the controls being that bad, but I preferred them over the Atari joystick. Intelivision lives is as close as I got to those games recently.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 03:35:46 pm by betelgeuse »