Author Topic: Metal Gear Solid: Legacy Collection versions  (Read 2502 times)

Re: Metal Gear Solid: Legacy Collection versions
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2016, 12:44:50 pm »
The one with the artbook should not have "Launch Edition" in the title because those terms are not used on the
packaging. It can be used in the description.

Here is a start:
Metal Gear Solid: The Legacy Collection (with Artbook)
http://vgcollect.com/item/45466
It doesn't say "with Artbook" on the packaging, so by your rule it should just say "Metal Gear Solid: The Legacy Collection"

Why is "with Artbook" okay, but "Launch edition" isn't okay?  That's why I made the post in the first place, asking what the listing should say, the consensus was "Launch edition".  I even suggested "with Artbook" and was told "Launch edition"

There are tons of items in the database like this.  Tons of items have a first print run, and it seems to be generally acceptable practice to put something descriptive in the title to easily differentiate the items.

How does one differentiate the other 2 nearly identical items?  I don't know, I honestly believe someone will in the not too distant future mark those two as dupes of each other and it will get merged or it will continue being marked as dupe.

Note: I get that this has sort of been fixed, but I feel it is still a valid topic for discussion.  These types of things should have a consistent decision.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 12:49:09 pm by ctracy87 »

tripredacus

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2016, 12:57:11 pm »
It doesn't say "with Artbook" on the packaging, so by your rule it should just say "Metal Gear Solid: The Legacy Collection"

Why is "with Artbook" okay, but "Launch edition" isn't okay?

It comes with an "artbook" but not a "Launch edition." That is something that someone can tell just by looking at the item they have. No one can tell if they purchased this if it is a "Launch Edition" by looking at it. And it appears that Google can only find results from VGCollect for use of the term "Legacy Collection Launch Edition" which also proves that this isn't a term we should be using.

desocietas

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2016, 02:45:44 pm »
I hate to make this discussion more complicated, but I tend to use "launch edition" in my item names, but usually because it is noted in advertising from the publisher about "first-print copies" or "copies at launch."

For instance, Persona 4 Arena Ultimax and its launch version looks identical (because all they did was seal it in plastic with an extra cardboard insert on the back):
http://vgcollect.com/item/59462
http://vgcollect.com/item/85203

The barcodes are supposedly the same (I haven't checked my version).

If someone were to have bought this used, there's no way for them to know which one they got unless they bought it with the punching bag included.

*Note: I did not create the launch edition for this particular title and will probably submit an edit to change the title and image to go with this:
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

tripredacus

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2016, 07:08:27 pm »
The Persona one, "Launch Edition" is not an official term either. If it were me, that would become "Persona 4 Arena Ultimax - Tarot Card Set" or something along those lines.

If our listing is accurate to the actual item itself (and not what a website sells it as or using fan terms) a person who purchases the item will know exactly which item to add. If a person buys the game on its own and wants to add the one with the extra stuff, they can do that. We do not need to police collections, but we do have a responsibility of having accurate representations of the actual items. But since "Launch Edition" is not an official term or phrase, we can put that into the description. Something like: this version was sold by some online retailers using the phrase Launch Edition.

desocietas

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2016, 07:17:28 pm »
The Persona one, "Launch Edition" is not an official term either. If it were me, that would become "Persona 4 Arena Ultimax - Tarot Card Set" or something along those lines.

If our listing is accurate to the actual item itself (and not what a website sells it as or using fan terms) a person who purchases the item will know exactly which item to add. If a person buys the game on its own and wants to add the one with the extra stuff, they can do that. We do not need to police collections, but we do have a responsibility of having accurate representations of the actual items. But since "Launch Edition" is not an official term or phrase, we can put that into the description. Something like: this version was sold by some online retailers using the phrase Launch Edition.

Yeah, I can understand that. It never quite sat right with me to call it a launch edition when a publisher wasn't calling it that specifically. These days they say things like "all preorders and some launch copies will include [special goodies here]" but the actual version doesn't have a name. The publisher might be thinking of it more of a "limited edition," for all we know, since it is technically "limited" to whatever their first print is.

I'm wondering if this is something we should further refine in our style guide then.

Thanks for your thoughts on this, tripredacus.  I'll also go ahead and submit those edits for that P4AU version now.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

tripredacus

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2018, 11:13:38 am »
Bump-a-roonie

1. Metal Gear Solid: The Legacy Collection 1987-2012 (slipcover)
https://vgcollect.com/item/45466

2. Metal Gear Solid: The Legacy Collection 1987-2012 (20294-CS)
https://vgcollect.com/item/98087

3. Metal Gear Solid: The Legacy Collection 1987-2012 (20295-CS)
https://vgcollect.com/item/103649

Should be the best way to go about it. Unfortunately #2 and #3 still seems to not be known what the deal is... I also wonder what the L in #3 is for...

You can think we can put (20272-OS) into the name for #1... would you guys rather it be slipcover or that item number from the back of the slipcover?