Author Topic: How to tell if a PC game has been re-sealed?  (Read 1071 times)

How to tell if a PC game has been re-sealed?
« on: August 25, 2018, 08:02:50 am »
I'm looking at this copy of a sealed PC DVD-ROM of a game from the mid-2000s. How can I tell if it's factory sealed or if it's been re-sealed? I've asked the seller, and they said they don't know.

Thanks in advance.

shadowzero

PRO Supporter

Re: How to tell if a PC game has been re-sealed?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2018, 08:37:21 am »
That's a good question.  It would be helpful to know what game it is and what region it was released.  The best way to tell is by comparing a like original.  There are a plethora of shrink wrap machines out there that come in all shapes and sizes.  In another life I worked at several different Kinko's locations and they each had a different brand and style shrink wrap machine. 

Now I'm not saying that your game isn't originally sealed because there are still plenty of factory sealed games in circulation.  Sometimes, there are certain tell tales with specific publishers.
Check out this video from Jim Leonard about PC games and OE shrink wrap and non original.  Hope it helps!

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2018, 09:35:53 am »
That's a good question.  It would be helpful to know what game it is and what region it was released.  The best way to tell is by comparing a like original.  There are a plethora of shrink wrap machines out there that come in all shapes and sizes.  In another life I worked at several different Kinko's locations and they each had a different brand and style shrink wrap machine. 

Now I'm not saying that your game isn't originally sealed because there are still plenty of factory sealed games in circulation.  Sometimes, there are certain tell tales with specific publishers.
Check out this video from Jim Leonard about PC games and OE shrink wrap and non original.  Hope it helps!
It's GTA San Andreas, released in the UK. I'll watch that video, thanks!

Edit: I've watched through the video, but it only seems to be talking about the old style of shrink wrap. I'm talking about the type of plastic wrap you get on modern game cases (the standard DVD case), rather than the flimsy sort of shrink wrap you find on old games that come in large boxes.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 09:42:14 am by halfofakebab »

shadowzero

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2018, 10:32:20 pm »
Sadly that's about the extent of my knowledge here.  I can tell you that most modern PC DVD style cases is the States have that "Y" fold to them in the corners MOST OF THE TIME, not all the time.