Author Topic: good place to start  (Read 2697 times)

wartoy

PRO Supporter

Re: good place to start
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2018, 06:03:42 pm »
Start with the systems you like to play on and the games you like to play, then build your collection from there. You don't need to start out by chasing the rare or expensive items.
I agree

kashell

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2018, 09:36:12 pm »
Like others have said - start with systems that you like and just kind of branch off from there.

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2018, 04:38:54 pm »
Thrifting is a good way to build you collection, I find mostly CD based games from the 6th and 7th console generations though, but sometimes you'll get lucky and find cart based console games as well.

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2018, 07:27:29 pm »
Wow. Thanks everyone for the suggestions and advise. I think i know where to start my game collection now. Wish me luck!

telly

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2018, 07:37:19 pm »
Wow. Thanks everyone for the suggestions and advise. I think i know where to start my game collection now. Wish me luck!

Good luck! :) Definitely curious to hear how it goes!
Currently Playing:
Super Paper Mario (Wii), Super Mario Bros. 3 (Wii U)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2018, 12:02:22 pm »
Aside from 'buy the cheap stuff' and 'buy what you think sounds interesting, not what's popular', decide two things:

1) Emulation & aftermarket gear vs. authentic original. Authentic is more brag-worthy, but notably more expensive & labor intensive to keep running. If you just want to play, getting a good emulation setup now will save you a lot of money. It doesn't have to be all PC, everdrives are a great halfway point between authentic & full emulation.

2) Game only vs. CIB. Once again, it's a lot more expensive & time consuming to get boxes and manuals as opposed to just the game itself. It's also pretty hard to track down loose boxes & manuals too, so decide now before you have to spend a decade pestering random Ebay sellers to just sell you the case for Lunar: Silver Star (no really, it's not great.)

Last bit of advice: Tell people you want their old gaming crap. Get the word out there that you collect, that if they've got something around you're interested. People will give you stuff becuase they want it gone and better it go to you & get used than thrown out. I have so many games that were hand-me-downs it's crazy. I've also picked stuff up for friends becuase I knew what they liked & found a deal. It's fun to drop in on someone and go "Hi my Sega-loving pal! I found a Dreamcast with 4 controllers & a VMU & Soul Calibur for 10 bucks. You don't have a Dreamcast yet, right? Here ya go!" Make sure people know what you're into!