Author Topic: Nintendo makes me mad.  (Read 1391 times)

thecollector0o7

Nintendo makes me mad.
« on: November 30, 2012, 12:28:42 am »
Okay so I consider myself to be a pretty big Nintendo fan and in some ways a historian of Nintendo. I was able to find Nintendo's "Company History" sometime ago and have emailed them over and over again because of this find. Nintendo in thier history section does not include: The Virtual Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Micro and the new 2012 systems which I understand. But to completly forget about the Game Boy Color? come on Nintendo makes me mad sometimes. On the launch of the WiiU I was able to talk to a Nintendo Rep and he told me the reason they do not speak of the Virtual Boy is because they are embrassed >_> well that big mistake was learned from and the 3DS came from the ashes. Nintendo has to be proud of thier past.

soera

Re: Nintendo makes me mad.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 01:10:10 am »
I dont know why they would be embarrassed ... they have been known for gimmicky type stuff to try to bring a new era in and VB is no exception. You have to push the envelope sometimes to get to the next level.

jcalder8

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 02:03:02 am »
I am not surprised that they don't talk about the virtual boy. It was a disaster that there would be little that they could document.

It does suck that they left out game boy color though.

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 02:26:54 am »
Yea, the Color was my first handheld.  And did they include the GameBoy Pocket, cause that's basically what the Micro was, just for the Advance.  It wouldn't make sense for them to include the Pocket and leave out the Micro.

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 05:02:02 pm »
Well it was such an embarrassment to them even then that they fired Gunpei Yokoi over it. I mean without Gunpei it can be argued that nintendo wouldnt be who the are, he invented the game and watch,gameboy as well as some other weird items in nintendo's past as well as creating Metroid and Kid Icarus. I dont think Nintendo likes to talk about the Virtual Boy because they kind of dishonorably got rid of Gunpei and he unfortunatly died afterwards.

soera

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 06:15:48 pm »
I heard that story before too ... ironically, there was no support for him. The guy made some of the greatest items Nintendo ever released (apparently the D pad and ROB was his design as well)... but one of his many ideas flopped and he gets canned. Thats so weak.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 06:18:50 pm by soera »

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 08:45:44 pm »
@soera Yeah! the Dpad was the other one I was thinking of, yeah I agree it doesnt seem like he never really got much respect even now the game "Gunpey" was released on the PSP and I remember hearing about how great it was and kind of a tribute to him... on a SONY SYSTEM!? I recently saw Gunpey DS but havent heard many things about it. I dont know it's weird he seemed to do some great things and the Virtual Boy was obviously his biggest failure but he did do more innovative things than bad things.