Author Topic: English name vs. original title  (Read 665 times)

insektmute

English name vs. original title
« on: February 25, 2013, 01:00:19 pm »
I'd like to suggest that for game titles, we stick to the name used on the actual release, rather than using the English title or translation universally. Right now, if you add or edit an entry, there's the stipulation that we use the English title as the name, but personally, I'd rather find my Japanese imports under their appropriate titles.

So in other words, if someone has the JP copy of Shikigami no Shiro II, it shows up as that, not Mobile Light Force 2.

I think most of us (kimimi can probably provide input here, too) tend to do this anyway, but it might be a good idea to alter the line that's displayed when submitting something to better reflect this practice.

foxhack

Re: English name vs. original title
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 02:26:53 pm »
Yep, that's how we're supposed to do things. Original title (well, in English). So yes, the Japanese version would be Shikigami no Shiro II, and the US would be Mobile Light Force II.

Some people keep adding badly translated Japanese titles to the Alt-name field... I just wipe it. :p

insektmute

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 02:42:35 pm »
Ah, nice! Glad I've been doing it right then instead of just rebelling against The Man or... something.

I'm never sure what's better for alt names - the US title or the actual characters (kanji, etc). Usually I just leave it :p

foxhack

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 03:20:55 pm »
Ah, nice! Glad I've been doing it right then instead of just rebelling against The Man or... something.

I'm never sure what's better for alt names - the US title or the actual characters (kanji, etc). Usually I just leave it :p
My personal preference is the US / English name. But either one is fine, really.