Author Topic: Ps1 Imports  (Read 1423 times)

Ps1 Imports
« on: February 24, 2013, 01:47:28 am »
I want to get into some exclusive,japanese ps1 games, any recommendations?
I already have Policenauts, love it by the way, and was planning on getting Gunner's Heaven and Gradius Gaiden but would like some more suggestions please

insektmute

Re: Ps1 Imports
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 04:36:23 am »
I've been planning to do the same for quite awhile, but keep pushing it back to focus on PS2 stuff. A few favorites, though:

- Captain Commando
- DoDonPachi
- Harmful Park
- Panzer Bandit
- Raiden DX
- Toaplan Shooting Battle
- Zanac X Zanac

I'd also recommend Image Fight & X-Multiply, but can't remember if the PS1 or Saturn version is better. Whichever way you go, the soundtrack on X-Multiply is freaking awesome :)

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 10:51:56 am »
Those are some pretty expensive recommendations! :D

What sort of game do you want to buy? Can you read Japanese? For now the best I can do is point you to my PS1 game list and see if anything catches your eye - http://backloggery.com/games.php?user=kimimi&console=PS

Oh and if "Japan exclusive" is a requirement then you'll want to know that Gunner's Heaven got a PAL release as "Rapid Reload".

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 01:21:23 pm »
By exclusive I actually meant console exclusive, I cant read Japanese and I was looking for shoot em ups mainly

insektmute

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 01:34:07 pm »
Those are some pretty expensive recommendations! :D

Unfortunately so. Crap exchange rates definitely aren't helping :/

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 06:08:55 pm »
I really liked the first person action RPG King's Field. The first in the series is exclusive to Japan and for the rest of the series they did to us what Squaresoft did with Final Fantasy - falsely renumbered the titles for international audiences. So their 2 is our 1 and their 3 is our 2. It is not very text heavy so with a simple guide or walkthrough it's easy enough to get through. Most of what you do is wander through the dungeons exploring them, finding items and killing monsters for experience points.

The only time I didn't know what to do was when I had to trade an item to a person to get the one needed to continue. A walkthrough and maps helped me figure that one out.

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 11:45:17 pm »
By exclusive I actually meant console exclusive, I cant read Japanese and I was looking for shoot em ups mainly

If you're looking mostly for shmups then insektmute already posted a great list; I'd also recommend In The Hunt but everything I've heard points to the Saturn version being the better of the two.

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 12:11:20 am »
I actually have In the hunt for playstation and I like that version more, the slowdown in the saturn version makes it unbearable to play by about the third stage

insektmute

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 10:37:55 am »
Might also toss in Sonic Wings Special. It's sort of a mash-up of the first three games, similar in some ways to Strikers 1945 Plus on the Neo (though I like that game better).