Author Topic: A Mini-Review of every Tetris game I own (in alphabetical order)  (Read 2312 times)

razorbeamz

The Next Tetris (PS1)

This game is very mediocre. The meat and potatoes of it is a new mode that involves blocks that have different colors on them that fall separately from the blocks. For example, a T block could have a yellow block on one side that'll fall independently of the rest of the red blocks. The music is incredibly quiet and lame, but as a plus the whole game loads to RAM when you start it, so you can take the disc out and play your own CD of music. Overall this one is boring.

Tetris (Game Boy)

What can I say about this one? You've all played it. Very solid Tetris game. Also very barebones.

Tetris Axis (3DS)

A very fun Tetris with a ton of modes that got poor reviews for some reason. Yeah, it's no Tetris DS, but it's still just as fast-paced and fun, and has Bombliss mode, one of my favorites, which is an implementation of Tetris Blast.

Tetris & Dr. Mario (SNES)

Another barebones Tetris, with Dr. Mario bundled alongside it. The music is nice and it has a neat multiplayer mode called Mix & Match where you play a round of Tetris and a round of Dr. Mario.

Tetris 2 (Game Boy)

This one's weird. It's not a traditional Tetris game. The blocks are different colors and you match them up like Dr. Mario instead of clearing lines. I honestly don't like it very much, but it's a neat twist on the formula.

Tetris Attack (Game Boy)

Technically not a Tetris game at all. It involves matching up blocks that rise up from the bottom in a match-3 sort of game. A good stress reliever, until you get to the higher levels.

Tetris Blast (Game Boy)

This is another non-traditional Tetris which shows up every now and then as a side mode in Tetris games. Instead of clearing blocks by making lines, there are blocks which have a bomb inside them. If you make a line with a bomb in it, the bombs explode in chain reactions. It's a really good game with some awesome music.

Tetris DS (DS)

This is hands down the best Tetris game ever made. Lots of unique modes, and it's Nintendo themed with awesome remixes of classic Nintendo tunes. It's a fast paced modern Tetris with hard drop, 5 next pieces and infinite spin, so if you're one of those people who are so stuck in nostalgialand that you can't play anything that's not the classic you should stay far, far away.

Tetris DX (Game Boy Color)

Take the original GB Tetris and add some color and change the music. That's basically all this is. Nothing really special about it beyond the added Ultra and 40 Lines modes.

Tetris Plus (PS1)

Jaleco's take on Tetris. This one's pretty standard fare with an added puzzle mode (with a level editor!) where you're helping an explorer escape a temple by giving him a staircase of blocks to climb. It has a cute anime theme to it.

Tetris Plus (Game Boy)

This is a watered down version of the PS1 game. It's essentially the same, minus the color and CD quality music. Even the level editor is intact!

Tetris Ultimate (3DS)

Do not buy this Tetris! It only has one mode at first, and you have to unlock the other ones later. Only one song and it's kind of haunting and not fun, like a Tetris song should be. It's just full of "wrongness".

Tetris Worlds (PS2/Xbox/GameCube)

The Tetris that solidified the modern Tetris formula. The theme is kind of... odd. I don't dislike this one, but it's not a go-to for me by any means. It has hard drop and hold all of that, but the pieces aren't segmented, they're smooth, so it's kind of disorienting to play.

Tetris Worlds (GBA)

A watered down Tetris Worlds for GBA. A lot of the modes are stripped, so you're left with a pretty barebones Tetris. Nothing wrong with it, nothing stand-out about it.

Tetris: The Card Game (Card Game)

I can't honestly review this one because I never took it out of the box. But it looks really interesting!

What Tetris games that I didn't mention do you like?
My collection doesn't include my Steam or PSN games, just physical games.

aliensstudios

Re: A Mini-Review of every Tetris game I own (in alphabetical order)
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 11:33:13 am »
I agree with Tetris DS being the best. It's just a Tetris game but I can't believe how much time I've spent playing it!
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

pacpix

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 12:53:05 pm »
Definitely agree with you on Tetris Ultimate. The game modes were not hard to unlock, but they are not interesting at all. Just a very mediocre port all around. I will give it credit for its extensive customization options for marathon/endless mode though. I also like the limit on spins before locking the piece, it's a good compromise between Tetris purists and infinite spin.

Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

razorbeamz

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 03:03:35 pm »
Definitely agree with you on Tetris Ultimate. The game modes were not hard to unlock, but they are not interesting at all.

I found them hard to unlock. Not because the game was difficult or anything, but because it was so boring it couldn't keep my attention.

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 06:27:24 pm »
What Tetris games that I didn't mention do you like?

A recent favorite of mine is the Japan-only Tetris Battle Gaiden for Super Famicom. It's essentially classic Tetris (albeit locked into two-player mode) with more of a focus on sabotaging your opponent and making sure they reach the top of the screen first. It's got a colorful cast of characters, each with their own special powers to sway the direction of a match. It's also got some of the best music of any Tetris/Super Nintendo game I've ever played.

Never played Tetris DS, but with all the good things I've been seeing about it I definitely want to invest in a copy for myself soon.

I write for a video game/movie/book review blog that can be found here

pacpix

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 11:12:44 pm »
I bought Tetris DS on the name alone, not realizing so many people considered it one of the absolute best ports.  It really is a fantastic port and there are so many different game modes that it keeps you busy for a long time.  This was also the first Tetris I played with infinite spin, which I have come to enjoy as it allows you to play at much faster speeds.  I do still enjoy playing classic instant lock though.

Did/Do any of you play on Tetris Friends?  I used to play a lot of Tetris there when I was in middle school.  Got into Rank 11/12 in a few of the competitive modes, but never made it to any platinum ranks.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 03:01:23 am »
I absolutely agree about Tetris DS being the best. We actually talked about this one and the shorter lived DX last Tuesday on Retro Reload.

I got my copy of Tetris DS when it originally released. :)

My only complaint is when it first came out you could only play online against mostly people in Japan that had been playing it for months already.

Man did I get schooled!

dondetti

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 05:50:32 am »
Thanks for the short reviews, interested in Tetris DS now!

Personally I liked Tetrisphere on the N64 as a kid. 3D Tetris games tend to be sluggish as hell compared to classic Tetris but the spherical "playground" was an interesting twist to the gameplay.
I can you only chance
You need spell your soul
To the horrid spooky devil
That's a voyage to Hell

Games: https://vgcollect.com/dondetti
Music: https://www.musik-sammler.de/sammlung/parabellum

razorbeamz

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 10:07:11 am »
My only complaint is when it first came out you could only play online against mostly people in Japan that had been playing it for months already.

And then later everyone online had an Action Replay and had it set up to where they only got I pieces.

abe

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 12:25:29 pm »
Has anyone here played Puyo Puyo Tetris? It looks interesting.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

telly

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2015, 12:28:46 pm »
I remember that Pac-Man: Special Color edition for the GBC had Pac-attack, which was like Tetris but it had 3 blocks, and the shapes had ghosts mixed. Every so often Pac-man would drop down to eat them, so you had to arrange the Tetris pieces properly so Pac-Man could eat the ghosts.

I remember enjoying it when I was a kid :D
Currently Playing:
Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch), Super Paper Mario (Wii)

My music collection | My Backloggery

pacpix

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2015, 02:26:07 pm »
Has anyone here played Puyo Puyo Tetris? It looks interesting.
I would love to play this.  I have been considering importing it for a while now.

I remember that Pac-Man: Special Color edition for the GBC had Pac-attack, which was like Tetris but it had 3 blocks, and the shapes had ghosts mixed. Every so often Pac-man would drop down to eat them, so you had to arrange the Tetris pieces properly so Pac-Man could eat the ghosts.

Pac-Attack is a fun puzzle game, the box art terrifies me though ha

telly

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2015, 03:02:43 pm »

Pac-Attack is a fun puzzle game, the box art terrifies me though ha

Pac-Man's going agro! :o

Also, I wonder if scary video game covers has been done as a topic before. I know we did one on terrible covers in the past...
Currently Playing:
Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch), Super Paper Mario (Wii)

My music collection | My Backloggery

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2015, 03:37:26 am »

And then later everyone online had an Action Replay and had it set up to where they only got I pieces.

Oh man! :) I have an action replay now. But I never thought of that back then.

It'd be funny for about 1 game. Then damn.