Author Topic: Character encoding  (Read 493 times)

insektmute

Character encoding
« on: October 19, 2013, 07:17:42 pm »
I'm not sure if I've mentioned this before, but are there any plans to address wonky character encoding when a game has accented characters? Games like Okami, Fausette Amour, and Wachenroder all technically have them in their titles, but if you try to enter those in, you wind up with gibberish like "Fausseté Amour" and "Wachenröder" instead of what you've entered, even though stuff like umlauts should be pretty well-supported. I'm guessing the site forces standard Western encoding, but wouldn't UTF-8 make more sense?

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: Character encoding
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 07:24:31 pm »
I still can't figure out how to get the tilde symbol on my keyboard to actually show up above a letter on the screen, on any program or website.

matt

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 03:37:18 pm »
The char set is set correctly on all the pages but I think the db may be setup incorrectly. I started looking into this a few months back didn't make any progress. I'll add it to the new to-do list and get on it within the week hopefully.

insektmute

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 04:06:15 pm »
Word. For what it's worth, I've noticed Wikipedia has similar issues, depending on how a person's browser is set. I have mine default to UTF-8, mainly due to all the JP sites I hit, but I suspect most people are on Western.