Author Topic: Repro Carts  (Read 1131 times)

abe

Repro Carts
« on: June 18, 2014, 12:16:59 pm »
I was wondering if repro carts of old games (or sometimes relatively new ones) were allowed in the database. Games like english-patched carts of Japan-only games in the case of Mother, or Mother 3 to name a couple of examples. I don't have any to add now, but I was wondering for future reference.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

Re: Repro Carts
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 01:16:09 pm »
There's already bunch of repos on the site. The tricky thing is what version it is or who made it. There's a lot of people making reproductions of translated Japanese games and rare game. Some of the producers make a good effort of placing their own branding on the carts to make it obvious that it's a reproduction, while others make 'em to look almost like the originals.

While translated repos I don't mind, the act of making a "reproduction game" and selling them is bootlegging and is illegal in most countries.

abe

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 01:57:45 pm »
Alright, thanks for the clarification. :)
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

foxhack

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 02:10:43 pm »
I was wondering if repro carts of old games (or sometimes relatively new ones) were allowed in the database. Games like english-patched carts of Japan-only games in the case of Mother, or Mother 3 to name a couple of examples. I don't have any to add now, but I was wondering for future reference.

Yes, you can list those carts (despite my numerous objections to them as a whole. :p)

But never list them as official carts. And a lot of these repro creators also create packaging with false or stolen product codes - don't add those either.

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 03:15:49 pm »
Yeah, what everyone else said. Just be sure to enter it as "Homebrew". We don't have an option for reproductions just yet, but reproductions are allowed, just add a "(Reproduction)" after the title. Just wanted to clarify, as "Unreleased (but official)" is for upcoming games, and it could be easy to mix that up. :)