Author Topic: Feature Suggestion  (Read 889 times)

Feature Suggestion
« on: April 14, 2014, 01:29:51 am »
Perhaps linking this site with other game database services would make for easier search functions, as well as easier auto-fill systems? For instance, for Wii Games, linking out to WiiTDB might help pull down box art and other information quickly?

Re: Feature Suggestion
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 01:32:13 am »
Or for Steam games, using the Steam API for pulling down game data... Not even gonna bother trying to put in my Steam collection until that's done, as it would otherwise take the better part of a decade to do.

foxhack

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 01:45:40 pm »
Perhaps linking this site with other game database services would make for easier search functions, as well as easier auto-fill systems? For instance, for Wii Games, linking out to WiiTDB might help pull down box art and other information quickly?

Many of these sites use generic database information licensed from commercial databases. Not to mention those databases often have some really glaring errors. This site's database began as one of those and we've had to clear up loads of entries with missing of incorrect information over the years, while other sites keep using the same wrong info.

Or for Steam games, using the Steam API for pulling down game data... Not even gonna bother trying to put in my Steam collection until that's done, as it would otherwise take the better part of a decade to do.

It's way too much hassle. And it's not 100% accurate.

It's been mentioned before, just not very recently, don't worry.

It's technically possible, at least for Steam, especially now that you can grab the information via Steam's OpenID implementation. But that would involve a lot of coding, and matt already has quite a bit on his plate... Not to mention Steam is very, very bad about actually showing what you own (For example, I have the SSFIV AE costume pack with everything, but it doesn't show up in my profile, and even the store thinks I don't own it!) And they tend to change game IDs around at times.

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 07:09:43 pm »
I'm not concerned with grabbing everything you own via Steam(i.e. connecting your user ID here, even though that is doable). I'm moreover thinking that when you do a search(Much like in WiiTDB, as it could be), you would search for the name, and if it didn't find a result for the matching console(specifically Steam or the Wii in this case), it would show secondary results as searched on Steam specifically, or on WiiTDB specifically. At that point, it would autofill as much data as exists on those databases for the game in question, which can be corrected by the user before clicking "Submit".

foxhack

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 07:23:03 pm »
I'm not concerned with grabbing everything you own via Steam(i.e. connecting your user ID here, even though that is doable). I'm moreover thinking that when you do a search(Much like in WiiTDB, as it could be), you would search for the name, and if it didn't find a result for the matching console(specifically Steam or the Wii in this case), it would show secondary results as searched on Steam specifically, or on WiiTDB specifically. At that point, it would autofill as much data as exists on those databases for the game in question, which can be corrected by the user before clicking "Submit".

It would still grab a ton of incorrect information from Steam. The release dates are usually wrong, ratings vary depending on the region, and descriptions often have to be manually edited so they don't break the site layout.

And other databases tend to have user-created cover artwork. That WiiTDB (or GameTDB) site, for example, has a fake Pikmin 2 disc scan up. :( It would still involve a lot of cleanup on our part.