Author Topic: Any way to play famicom games on SNES?  (Read 4249 times)

dreama1

Any way to play famicom games on SNES?
« on: July 08, 2014, 10:40:44 pm »
With some kind of adopter? Retron 5 to expensive..
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 10:53:51 pm by dreama1 »

razorbeamz

Re: Any way to play famicom games on SNES?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 10:58:08 pm »
No, but you can play them on the NES with many different adapters.
My collection doesn't include my Steam or PSN games, just physical games.

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 11:19:29 pm »
If you're talking about Super Famicom its pretty easy. You can either swap the game PCB into a standard US cart or remove the tabs inside the cart slot inside the console. As for Family Computer to SNES.... Most people opt to just play them on an adapter to NES. I guess you could try a famicom-to-NES adapter on top of a NES-to-SNES adapter. Oh god what a sight that would be.  :o
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 11:43:32 pm by badATchaos »

dreama1

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 11:25:56 pm »
If you're talking about Super Famicom is pretty easy. You can either swap the game PCB into a standard US cart or remove the tabs inside the cart slot inside the console. As for Family Computer to SNES.... Most people opt to just play them on an adapter to NES. I guess you could try a famicom-to-NES adapter on top of a NES-to-SNES adapter. Oh god what a sight that would be.  :o
Wonder if that would work lol.

razorbeamz

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 09:20:38 am »
After looking at your collection, I'm guessing you're European. You're going to have a tough time with Famicom games, since they're NTSC and you're in a PAL region.
My collection doesn't include my Steam or PSN games, just physical games.

foxhack

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 02:36:34 pm »
If you're talking about Super Famicom its pretty easy. You can either swap the game PCB into a standard US cart or remove the tabs inside the cart slot inside the console. As for Family Computer to SNES.... Most people opt to just play them on an adapter to NES. I guess you could try a famicom-to-NES adapter on top of a NES-to-SNES adapter. Oh god what a sight that would be.  :o
You can use one of these! I sold one of these a few years ago. It was another model, but it was the same manufacturer.

That video also seems to show that the adapter runs PAL games at 60hz speed on a PAL system and TV, and that it can handle NTSC games just fine!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 02:43:17 pm by foxhack »

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 03:32:53 pm »
On most modern tv's you can change the mhz from 50 to 60 or vice versa.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 03:43:56 pm »
You can use one of these! I sold one of these a few years ago. It was another model, but it was the same manufacturer.

That video also seems to show that the adapter runs PAL games at 60hz speed on a PAL system and TV, and that it can handle NTSC games just fine!

I was going to point these out. There are a few different companies that make similar adapters, too. So I'm sure you can find an NTSC one.

foxhack

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 12:38:09 pm »
On most modern tv's you can change the mhz from 50 to 60 or vice versa.
Yes, but he's using an European system, which outputs PAL video. Maybe the adapter is what speeds up the game, since I'm pretty sure it has a NES on a chip inside to run the NES stuff. (The SNES CPU is only partially backwards compatible.)

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 04:32:18 pm »
The "Super 8" is the best solution for this. It has 3 slots:

• NES compatibility
• Famicom compatibility
• A "pass-through" SNES slot which can double as a Super Famicom slot if you don't wanna break the blocker tabs out of your SNES

The downside is that the NES part can only use composite video, something common to nearly all NES clones (the sole exeption was the Famicom Titler made by Sharp)

foxhack

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2014, 05:15:21 pm »

• NES compatibility
• Famicom compatibility
• A "pass-through" SNES slot which can double as a Super Famicom slot if you don't wanna break the blocker tabs out of your SNES

The downside is that the NES part can only use composite video, something common to nearly all NES clones (the sole exeption was the Famicom Titler made by Sharp)

Wouldn't you be able to use an S-Video cable, though? Since it's using the same connector as the SNES to output video.

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2014, 05:32:14 pm »

• NES compatibility
• Famicom compatibility

Wouldn't you be able to use an S-Video cable, though? Since it's using the same connector as the SNES to output video.

Unfortunately not, that results in a blank screen with sound only. Same thing if you try to use one of those RGB SCART cables that you see on eBay. The SNES outputs RGB video natively, but the NES and clones don't. So while you can plug the Super 8 in with S-Video and other connections and it'll look great, as soon as you tell it to launch an NES game the screen will go black with anything other than composite.