Author Topic: gamecube games shooting up in price or is it just me?  (Read 3619 times)

argyle

Re: gamecube games shooting up in price or is it just me?
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2014, 09:54:26 am »
Either an effect of the pot simmering over with enthusiasm for game collecting, or the fact that GC was far more obscure than PS2 or Xbox. Maybe a bit of both. GC proves to be almost as hard to find in the wild as Dreamcast. I'm shocked that Xbox remains as cheap and unloved as it still is. GC is going up, PS2 is on a steady rise, but I think Xbox is about the same as it was 5 years ago.

Earlier this year I checked everything on VGPC, the only consoles that hadn't seen a large increased average since 2009 was basically everything Sega (- SMS), and XBox. PS1 had actually gone down. Everything else has gone way up. SNES tripled I think.

Nowadays it doesn't surprise me to hear about anything becoming valuable. Especially if it's a game I never bothered to pick up.  ;D There are in fact valuable Wii games already, standard release ones. Wii prices are set to go way up in the near future, I'm almost certain.
You think it's bad now give it 20 years that goes for all those systems. Still can't wrap my head around the fact the xbox 360 will be considered vintage one day. But I bet the games are still worthless, in there case finding a working piece of shit 360 would be the challenge.

I don't think the slim has quite the same reputation as the old white tanks do. Speaking of which, my 360 is an old white tank that hasn't tanked yet.  :D

To date the 360 is the only console I've just completely and deliberately ignored.

I bought in because of their big push in the beginning for Japanese support - there were some really good JRPGs in the early days, especially Tales of Vesperia and Lost Odyssey.  But after MS discovered that:

A) The Japanese don't give a crap about their consoles
and
B) The NA mainstream audience that they're targeting doesn't give a crap about Japanese games (with rare exception)

...they dropped that push almost overnight.  So I still want to pick a 360 back up mainly to have access to those early games.  The two I mentioned plus Culdcept Saga alone will be worth it to me, when the price is right.  But I won't be fooled again, I'm now completely ignoring the XBone & plan to continue doing so. 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

Warmsignal

« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2014, 11:44:00 am »
Either an effect of the pot simmering over with enthusiasm for game collecting, or the fact that GC was far more obscure than PS2 or Xbox. Maybe a bit of both. GC proves to be almost as hard to find in the wild as Dreamcast. I'm shocked that Xbox remains as cheap and unloved as it still is. GC is going up, PS2 is on a steady rise, but I think Xbox is about the same as it was 5 years ago.

Earlier this year I checked everything on VGPC, the only consoles that hadn't seen a large increased average since 2009 was basically everything Sega (- SMS), and XBox. PS1 had actually gone down. Everything else has gone way up. SNES tripled I think.

Nowadays it doesn't surprise me to hear about anything becoming valuable. Especially if it's a game I never bothered to pick up.  ;D There are in fact valuable Wii games already, standard release ones. Wii prices are set to go way up in the near future, I'm almost certain.
You think it's bad now give it 20 years that goes for all those systems. Still can't wrap my head around the fact the xbox 360 will be considered vintage one day. But I bet the games are still worthless, in there case finding a working piece of shit 360 would be the challenge.

I don't think the slim has quite the same reputation as the old white tanks do. Speaking of which, my 360 is an old white tank that hasn't tanked yet.  :D

To date the 360 is the only console I've just completely and deliberately ignored.

I bought in because of their big push in the beginning for Japanese support - there were some really good JRPGs in the early days, especially Tales of Vesperia and Lost Odyssey.  But after MS discovered that:

A) The Japanese don't give a crap about their consoles
and
B) The NA mainstream audience that they're targeting doesn't give a crap about Japanese games (with rare exception)

...they dropped that push almost overnight.  So I still want to pick a 360 back up mainly to have access to those early games.  The two I mentioned plus Culdcept Saga alone will be worth it to me, when the price is right.  But I won't be fooled again, I'm now completely ignoring the XBone & plan to continue doing so.

Sorry to go way off topic OP!

I'm not buying either console for a long time, myself. I went with 360 multiplat and PS3 exclusive last time and kind of don't regret it because 360 did multiplat better and PS3 exclusives look better without all the riffraff. Still I think I'll switch back again this time. I'll buy Xbox One exclusives if they are appealing, but that's it. So far I can't think of an 8th gen exclusive game that I even want to buy!  :o

« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2014, 12:45:29 pm »
Bah! I feel like it's too soon for the GameCube to suddenly be soaring in the collector's market.  I'm not even sure what might be collectible on the damn thing. 

Right now, I'm getting into the mindset of snagging late-release titles for Wii, X360, PS3, DS, and PSP, since after-gen releases tend to be sent out in small numbers.

soera

« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2014, 12:59:31 pm »
The Cube is Nintendo's best console. First disk (albeit Turf sized disks, not the average disk mind you) based console and it fixed all the crap that was wrong with the N64 controller. Gameboy player adds a lot of desire for the system as well. And whoever mentioned the SSB Cube controller thing is probably right as well. I can see this little system skyrocketing past everything.

« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2014, 08:56:14 am »
The Cube is Nintendo's best console. First disk (albeit Turf sized disks, not the average disk mind you) based console and it fixed all the crap that was wrong with the N64 controller. Gameboy player adds a lot of desire for the system as well. And whoever mentioned the SSB Cube controller thing is probably right as well. I can see this little system skyrocketing past everything.

I always loved the feel of the GameCube controller, but have always had a major issue with it--the shoulder buttons suck.  I pre-ordered the new Smash with the GameCube controller, but I sincerely hope they put regular shoulder buttons and triggers on there like the Wii U Pro controller and, you know, every other modern controller.