Author Topic: SNES and Genesis/megadrive exclusives?  (Read 3683 times)

dreama1

Re: SNES and Genesis/megadrive exclusives?
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2014, 03:07:49 pm »
It gets confusing, too, because a lot of the games you'd think are the same game, with the same title, are actually completely different games on each system.
Good point very good point. Like aladdin I must be only person who prefers the SNES version.

The Jurassic Park titles were among the biggest differences, then there are the slightly different Street Fighter titles, Ghouls n' Ghosts/Ghosts n' Goblins titles, and the like.  Sega also had a Marvel license for a time, which meant that their Marvel games were pretty much guaranteed to be different from Marvel games on the SNES--or exclusive outright.

Sega also had a better relationship with EA, who produced their own cartridges, but Nintendo had better relationships with Square and Enix.
Good for the time being maybe lol. I would hardly call sega and EA on good relations they were giving them death frets practically because EA were releasing pirate carts on genesis.

Re: SNES and Genesis/megadrive exclusives?
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2014, 03:22:43 pm »
It gets confusing, too, because a lot of the games you'd think are the same game, with the same title, are actually completely different games on each system.
Good point very good point. Like aladdin I must be only person who prefers the SNES version.

The Jurassic Park titles were among the biggest differences, then there are the slightly different Street Fighter titles, Ghouls n' Ghosts/Ghosts n' Goblins titles, and the like.  Sega also had a Marvel license for a time, which meant that their Marvel games were pretty much guaranteed to be different from Marvel games on the SNES--or exclusive outright.

Sega also had a better relationship with EA, who produced their own cartridges, but Nintendo had better relationships with Square and Enix.
Good for the time being maybe lol. I would hardly call sega and EA on good relations they were giving them death frets practically because EA were releasing pirate carts on genesis.

Well, "sort of good," I suppose.  "Good" in the sense that EA went to Sega rather than Nintendo, and was able to bully them into a better license.  GameInformer had a pretty detailed history on how EA got their start, and if you ever thought EA might have been a nice company--it turns out they were always sort of dicks.  They reverse engineered the Genesis and told Sega that they either give them a better licensing deal, or they'd release unlicensed games and Sega would get none of the money at all.

Yeah, the actual relationship wasn't "good," but for Sega, it was a strength to ultimately have EA on their side.  Right up until the Dreamcast.