Author Topic: Add the text from the back of NTSC-J games?  (Read 1509 times)

Add the text from the back of NTSC-J games?
« on: July 19, 2015, 01:07:34 am »
I added a game.
http://vgcollect.com/item/86783
Should I continue to do text like that?

Also, is there anything I can improve? I have quite a bit of stuff to add so I don't want to go along in a way that can be improved :)

razorbeamz

Re: Add the text from the back of NTSC-J games?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 02:02:52 am »
I don't see why not. Most people don't have the ability to type Japanese.
My collection doesn't include my Steam or PSN games, just physical games.

pacpix

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 02:29:40 am »
I don't see anything that needs to be improved, the game page looks very nice! :)

The Japanese box text is fine, just make sure the title is written in English if you plan on adding any Japanese games that do not have English titles on the box

Game Titles:

Use the item's regional release title, written in English.

Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King (NA)
Dragon Quest VIII: The Journey of the Cursed King (EU)
Dragon Quest VIII: Sora to Umi to Daichi to Norowareshi Himegimi (JP)

Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 03:44:06 am »
Yeah, will do! Actually, I'd originally had 再誕 in place of Saitan, then realized that it probably wouldn't do so well for searching :P But I will use the actual Japanese title, and then add the North American title as the alt title. I see .hack Vol.4 NTSC-J listed as Quarantine, which is wrong, so I promise I won't do that.

However, some of them have varying titles between Japanese and English. Here are some examples, all written exactly like they are from the side of the case:
紅の海2 Crimson Sea
西風の狂詩曲 ~The Rhapsody of Zephyr~
アニメバトル 烈火の炎 ~Flame of Recca~ FINAL BURNING
How should I approach those?

pacpix

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 04:36:52 pm »
Forgive my ignorance, as I am not very familiar with Japanese games, but what exactly are you asking in regards to these games?

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 12:23:09 am »
Oh sorry, I guess that part wasn't very clear. For those particular games, I'm wondering what to put as the actual title of the game, as their titles differ between how they're written in Japanese and how they're written in English.

紅の海2 = Kurenai no Umi 2 vs "Crimson Sea" (missing the "2" in the English translation title)
西風の狂詩曲 = Nishikaze no Kyoushikyoku vs "The Rhapsody of Zephyr" (pretty much a direct translation)
アニメバトル 烈火の炎 = Anime Battle Recca no Honoo vs "Flame of Recca: Final Burning" (missing the "Final Burning" in the Japanese title)

All of these come from the sides of the cases, so they're the official titles, but the English ones differ from the Japanese ones despite that. So, when adding games like this to the database, what should I put in the title field for the entry?

pacpix

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 01:13:11 am »
Personally, I am leaning towards using the direct Japanese translation for the game title and using the English title on the box in the alternate title field.  I would like to run this by the other admins and get their opinions as well first.  I'll point the other admins here and see if we can come up with a consensus.

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 02:44:46 am »
Great! I would personally use the original Japanese title as well.

Some of these games may have English versions, and therefore will have alternate titles in that regard too. Another approach is to use the whole title, like "Nishikaze no Kyoushikyoku: The Rhapsody of Zephyr", but that's just one more thought. I'll do whatever is agreed upon :) I'll try to fix up existing entries for games I own as I add them too!

foxhack

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2015, 04:02:43 pm »
I would go with the original Japanese title, transliterated. The other official English name can be added as an alternate title or the description field so they show up in Google searches.

Are you seriously adding the box text for these Japanese games?  :o

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2015, 05:20:10 pm »
Haha, yeah :D There's a field for it! It seems so sad to leave it blank when it's there...

I think I will add the game's official English title into the description field then? The official English title for 紅の海2 bugs me because it's just Crimson Sea, without the 2. I like adding release titles from other regions into the Alt-title field, I think it's more intuitive somehow.