Author Topic: Any SmartWatch owners in the house?  (Read 896 times)

gf78

Any SmartWatch owners in the house?
« on: December 21, 2015, 12:02:00 pm »
I've been a SmartWatch user for about two years now.  My first is a Galaxy Gear 2 Neo which I still use at work.  It's functions without being tethered by Bluetooth to my phone are limited, but it still works as a clock, plays games, has photos you can copy to it, has a heart rate senson, pedometer and I can listen to music that I have copied to it (up to 4 gigs worth). 

This past Saturday, I took AT&T up on an offer to buy the new Samsung Gear S2.  It is absolutely fantastic.  It has it's own sim card built-in and can send/receive calls and texts.  It has Here Maps on it and you can control the entire thing pretty much by turning the bezel.  Aside from the rounded screen that better resembles a normal watch, it also has wireless charging and it magnetically "sticks" to the charger so it stays in perfect position.  This is a big step-up from my Gear 2 Neo that had a snap-on plate that you connected to charge it.  So far, I've been very impressed with the features, ease of use, comfort and build quality of this new watch. 

Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

Re: Any SmartWatch owners in the house?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 12:14:15 pm »
Nope, but I've been thinking about buying a Gear 2 Neo.  My wife has the OG Pebble, she has had some issues with it, but doesn't regret the purchase.  I'm not a watch or cellphone accessory kind of guy.  I just recently got a Galaxy Gear Circle, it's great, no real complaints, but it's only so useful over regular earbuds, plus inside a year the left earbud is already going out.

I bought one of the original Galaxy Gear watches, but I didn't care for it and returned it after a day or two.  Been considering buying the Gear 2 Neo.

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 12:29:14 pm »
Finally able to make calls/text without a phone?! I was wondering how long that would take. I've been waiting for such a device. I didn't really think "smart"watches were worth the investment if they were really just an extension of a smartphone. (Especially since I made the conscious decision to not buy a smartphone.) Now I can finally be Dick Tracy!

The only question is how's the battery life?

gf78

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 12:40:18 pm »
Finally able to make calls/text without a phone?! I was wondering how long that would take. I've been waiting for such a device. I didn't really think "smart"watches were worth the investment if they were really just an extension of a smartphone. (Especially since I made the conscious decision to not buy a smartphone.) Now I can finally be Dick Tracy!

The only question is how's the battery life?

There is the standard S2 and the cellular S2 which is what I have.  After you pair it, your phone will automatically forward calls to it.  So you don't even need your phone with you to receive and send calls.  It does require that you download the Samsung Gear app on an Android device running 4.4 KitKat or higher. 

My Gear 2 Neo will run about 3 days average use before it really needs to be charged.  I've tinkered with the S2 quite a bit, but in my experience it will last about a day and a half on a charge.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

pacpix

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 07:52:09 pm »
I'm going to be getting an Asus Zenwatch 2 soon.  I am really looking forward to syncing it with my google calendar and google now.  I never had any interest in the smartwatches until I started using these services more.  Getting notifications on my wrist will also be nice and will save some battery life since I will not be pulling out my phone nearly as much.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)