Author Topic: VGCOLLECT Mug Shots  (Read 3844 times)

desocietas

Re: VGCOLLECT Mug Shots
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2016, 09:16:59 pm »
Is that a regular Nintendo DS? Man, I miss those GBA slots.

Yup! The original "phat" DS. It had just arrived from being modded with a capture card.  Love that GBA slot, too!
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

mrfoxhound

PRO Supporter

« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2016, 09:24:04 pm »

Yup! The original "phat" DS. It had just arrived from being modded with a capture card.  Love that GBA slot, too!
Why didn't you get the Nintendo DSi or Lite? They're arguably better. I'm assuming it's because the first version of the Nintendo DS is the only one able to have the capture card mod?

Badges

desocietas

« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2016, 09:33:22 pm »

Why didn't you get the Nintendo DSi or Lite? They're arguably better. I'm assuming it's because the first version of the Nintendo DS is the only one able to have the capture card mod?

The model itself is the reason, yup. I already have a lite and love it, so I was happy to just get a cheap phat DS for the mod. That way, if anything happened to it, it wouldn't be the end of the world.  I'm not a fan of the dimmer screen, but the mod allows me to play it off my computer monitor with little to no noticeable lag.  I'm waiting for the same guy to open up orders for the N3DSXL now :)
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2016, 12:24:14 pm »

The GBA-SP screen is still better for GBA games, though. I remember owning both at the same time. I often had long downtimes where I worked, outside. I would have trouble seeing the DS phat's screen outside, on a sunny day. But the GBA-SP I could see just fine.

desocietas

« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2016, 03:03:14 pm »

The GBA-SP screen is still better for GBA games, though. I remember owning both at the same time. I often had long downtimes where I worked, outside. I would have trouble seeing the DS phat's screen outside, on a sunny day. But the GBA-SP I could see just fine.

I loved that about my old GBA!
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

mrfoxhound

PRO Supporter

« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2016, 01:48:43 am »

The only downside to the SP is how close together your hands have to be to play. Extended periods of play time causes hand cramps and no way to plug in headphones. You'd be better off with an AGS-101 backlit screen modded GBA or a DS Lite for GBA gaming.

Badges