Author Topic: Why does everyone say they hate COD but then they buy it?  (Read 4055 times)

gf78

Re: Why does everyone say they hate COD but then they buy it?
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2016, 09:48:02 am »
I don't hate the COD series but I don't have a real fondness for it. The games in the series I do have were either given to me (COD: Black Ops II for PS3) or I found them for so cheap I decided to pick it up (COD: Ghosts bought brand spanking new @ TRU for a whole $1 on Black Friday). The releases I own haven't been played and they're on the WAY back end of the burner that is my backlog.  :P

If I were to "hate" anything, it's Activision and their incessant need to shit out iterations of the franchise on a yearly (and sometimes less than yearly...more like multi-quarterly) basis. EA and Ubisoft aren't much better with the practice but it seems like Activision took a cue from their playbooks and turned up the annoyance factor to its zenith. They burned franchises like Guitar Hero and Tony Hawk into the ground and I'm sure it's only a matter of time before consumer apathy forces them to dial back the amount of releases they're shitting out for COD like kamikazekeeg mentioned.

The most current title has a rather obnoxious subtitle to it that actually made me LOL when I first heard about it. I had to wonder if it was a partial slap in the face to the guys who broke away from Infinity Ward and went on to found Respawn. At the same time I wondered if they had just plain run out of subtitles to conjure up out of their collective hind ends.  :P That said, the game looks fine visually but the series overall just isn't my cup of tea so I haven't paid it much mind. I do love me some FPS games though and will probably look into getting Doom as I heard the campaign mode is really good. Also, I just went and paid off my Overwatch CE yesterday.  ;D

Doom.  Oh yeah.  If the campaign is dull, I can't see it in the constant blur of running & gunning hellspawn.  I'm loving every minute of this game.  It's fast and it's visceral. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2016, 12:11:59 pm »
COD has a wide appeal among the casual game market; that goldmine that every major game company is constantly striving to win over given their majority status. People like us (hardcore gamers, collectors) are a small minority whom are often seen as irrelevant to the marketing and business people at game companies.

gf78

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2016, 12:23:34 pm »
COD has a wide appeal among the casual game market; that goldmine that every major game company is constantly striving to win over given their majority status. People like us (hardcore gamers, collectors) are a small minority whom are often seen as irrelevant to the marketing and business people at game companies.

I enjoy Call of Duty games as I said before.  The biggest detractor for me is actually the dude-bro, trash-talking asshats this series seems to draw.  I mute the mic before I ever go online.  My main enjoyment comes from the campaigns.  I lost interest with Modern Warfare 2 and it's 3 hour campaign and didn't pick a new CoD up until Ghosts which...wasn't that great really.  I've found Advanced Warfare from Sledgehammer games to be a superior title to the Infinity Ward games and the Treyarch titles delve into a lot of weird stuff which is entertaining to me. 

I'm probably not going to get Infinite Warfare this year as I'm about shooter'd out at this point.  Doom earned a spot in my collection, but aside from it and occasionally Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare and a match of Battlefront here & there...I rarely play FPS at this point.  I think I just needed to take a break from all the shooting and really, games in general.  I've been enjoying my Star Wars stuff and doing a lot more reading lately.  I was at the point where the thought of turning a game on and slugging through it became more like a chore than fun. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

ffxik

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2016, 09:18:39 pm »
I don't hate CoD per se. I do actually own one of them.  Finest Hour I think, but I don't have any love for modern military affairs.  I prefer my FPS's to be kinda out there. Doom, Quake, Duke Nukem, etc.  I love war history too, so games that take place in bygone eras are what interest me the most.  If they were to release a CoD or Battlefield: A Nation Divided about the Civil War, I would buy that.  No questions asked.

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2016, 09:51:00 pm »
I don't hate CoD per se. I do actually own one of them.  Finest Hour I think, but I don't have any love for modern military affairs.  I prefer my FPS's to be kinda out there. Doom, Quake, Duke Nukem, etc.  I love war history too, so games that take place in bygone eras are what interest me the most.  If they were to release a CoD or Battlefield: A Nation Divided about the Civil War, I would buy that.  No questions asked.

Basically when anyone says they have a problem with CoD anymore, it's never for the old ones.  Basically everything from COD4 and up is where this new era of CoD started and basically began the style that's continued for about 9 years now.  I remember being kinda blown away by Call of Duty 3 at the time, as it came out just a year after the Xbox 360 released, so reasonably early on in the cycle and when that was played on an HDTV, it was pretty awesome since my family didn't own an HDTV till like 2008.

You might like Call of Duty: World at War.  It was their last World War 2 game and I remember it being alright.  Of which I just looked up on Wiki that apparently World at War is actually a prologue to Black Ops.  I did not know this lol  That's not bad either as Black Ops is set during some of Vietnam and then into the Cold War era.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 09:55:31 pm by kamikazekeeg »

mrfoxhound

PRO Supporter

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2016, 05:26:26 pm »
Saying you hate something and then buying it? Uh...that exists? The only conclusion I can come to is that it's a popular game among their friends and so they have no choice but to buy it in order to play with their group of friends and stay socially relevant in and/or around said group.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 05:29:12 pm by mrfoxhound »

Badges

gf78

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2016, 09:11:55 am »
Saying you hate something and then buying it? Uh...that exists? The only conclusion I can come to is that it's a popular game among their friends and so they have no choice but to buy it in order to play with their group of friends and stay socially relevant in and/or around said group.

I think that pretty much sums it up.  Same reason why some blokes were suckered into buying an Xbox One, because that's where their friends play.   :P

shepard11

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2016, 03:23:15 pm »

I think that pretty much sums it up.  Same reason why some blokes were suckered into buying an Xbox One, because that's where their friends play.   :P

Hey now I don't make fun of the way ya dress now do I?  :)

gf78

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2016, 03:23:55 pm »

Hey now I don't make fun of the way ya dress now do I?  :)

:P