Author Topic: Silent Hill or Resident Evil?  (Read 1973 times)

Re: Silent Hill or Resident Evil?
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2016, 09:35:25 pm »
Eh. I think there's a definite P.T. influence in the RE7 demo, but I also think it's lacking a certain something that made P.T. so effective. I'm not going to pretend that P.T. was a flawless horror masterpiece, but it knew how to build up a strong atmosphere with very few assets and had one of the creepiest ghosts I've ever seen in a game. The RE7 demo has its moments, but it really feels like a shameless attempt at filling the P.T. void, at least to me. I'm not sure how I feel about Resident Evil delving into the supernatural. It worked for a mindbender like Silent Hills, but it feels out of place in the same game series where you can punch a boulder into gravel, fight a woman who controls an army of mutant ants, and trash talk a deformed Cap'n Crunch with a Napoleon complex. I'm happy to see that Resident Evil is going back to horror and know that it can do it right like it did with the REmake, but the way they're going about it is a little too jarring for my tastes.

Jarring is welcome here though I think.  RE6 was so poor, that they needed a really big u-turn and I don't think the spin off games have been anything real interesting.    The demo, is unfinished and not actually content in the main game, but I think if it's trying to implement some more real horror, I think that's great.  It's still gonna have plenty of silliness, that's a trademark, but if they can mix in the B-Movie nature with something darker and a little more intense, it'll be really great for the series.

Re: Silent Hill or Resident Evil?
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2016, 01:31:03 am »
Overall, Resident Evil as a series is definitely my favorite over Silent Hill. I will admit that I've only played two Silent Hill games, and probably 10 RE games, but of the two I played (Silent Hill and Silent Hill 2) Silent Hill 2 is by far a superior game to the first imo. In fact, I liked Silent Hill 2 more than most RE games. Still REmake on the Gamecube (and later on modern consoles) is one of my favorite games of all time, and the only RE game I can honestly say I liked more than Silent Hill 2. But here are all the RE and Silent games I've played ranked from my favorite to least favorite:

1. Resident Evil (Gamecube remake)
2. Silent Hill 2
3. Resident Evil Code Veronica
4. Resident Evil 0
5. Resident Evil 2
6. Resident Evil 3
7. Resident Evil 4
8. Silent Hill
9. Resident Evil Outbreak
10. Resident Evil Dead Aim (one of my least favorite games of all time)