Author Topic: Strange Pokemon Card  (Read 2222 times)

amwolfmusic

Strange Pokemon Card
« on: July 31, 2016, 10:40:47 pm »
I buy Pokemon cards to get codes, and I stream the online, but that's not the issue here. I was opening an OFFICIAL Pokemon pack and a weird card appeared. An Uncommon Zygarde with a light line running through the card, it's an indention in the card, I had asked someone who deals with defects/errors in Pokemon cards and said it might be that the cards in the pack were trying to be packaged. This card is the only one from this pack with the line, they didn't know what it could've been, so I am asking you guys.

Since this related to Pokemon, I am putting it here, but if I need to move it, I'll get it done. If you need (well you will actually) a good picture, I will get one below, which may be in the morning, or I can email a picture to you off site.

Limeface

PRO Supporter

Re: Strange Pokemon Card
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 01:54:31 am »
Pokemon TCG judge here. It sounds like a packaging error. Do you happen to remember if the Zygarde was the fist or last card in the pack? If you can provide a picture I'd love to take a look at it.

amwolfmusic

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 02:39:34 am »
Pokemon TCG judge here. It sounds like a packaging error. Do you happen to remember if the Zygarde was the fist or last card in the pack? If you can provide a picture I'd love to take a look at it.

It was an uncommon, so without doing the card trick, I believe it would be last or second to last. If you can provide an email (privately of course) I can send you a picture of the card.

tripredacus

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 12:07:46 pm »
Is there a reason why you would not post the picture in this thread?

rayne315

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 03:08:18 pm »
I'm assuming its a run mark caused by one of the wheels that made contact on the uncut sheet of zyguard cards being too tight and causing cut lines. how card manufacturing works is the card is printed in giant sheets (1 image per sheet/every card was zyguards) and each individual card is then cut out of the big sheet and is "Randomly" placed into a new card pack.

it can also be an etching mistake line. but usually that results in you only receiving half the card as most card companies prefer the 1 pass card cut method because it saves time and money.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

tripredacus

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 06:40:27 pm »
It is called a "roller mark." I recall Upper Deck had a problem with a lot of cards having roller marks in 2008, but usually it is not common to find a card with one. Cards with this type of damage are considered "scrap" and have little to no value. Similar factory damage with no value are cards that end up being caught in the crimper. There are collectors for scrap cards (I'm one of them) however the market is super tiny and they are mostly collected for novelty reasons.

However, there are and have been times when scrap will sell for a lot of money but that is far from being a common occurrence.

amwolfmusic

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 09:02:11 pm »
Is there a reason why you would not post the picture in this thread?

I don't know how, in all honesty, and I use a tablet for most of my stuff.

amwolfmusic

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 09:06:10 pm »
I'm assuming its a run mark caused by one of the wheels that made contact on the uncut sheet of zyguard cards being too tight and causing cut lines. how card manufacturing works is the card is printed in giant sheets (1 image per sheet/every card was zyguards) and each individual card is then cut out of the big sheet and is "Randomly" placed into a new card pack.

it can also be an etching mistake line. but usually that results in you only receiving half the card as most card companies prefer the 1 pass card cut method because it saves time and money.

I received a whole card, thanks for the info! So that must mean there are more cards, somewhere, with this mark, right?

It is called a "roller mark." I recall Upper Deck had a problem with a lot of cards having roller marks in 2008, but usually it is not common to find a card with one. Cards with this type of damage are considered "scrap" and have little to no value. Similar factory damage with no value are cards that end up being caught in the crimper. There are collectors for scrap cards (I'm one of them) however the market is super tiny and they are mostly collected for novelty reasons.

However, there are and have been times when scrap will sell for a lot of money but that is far from being a common occurrence.

Hmm, I like to try and complete sets, I just find the card interesting as I've never come across, or heard, about something like this. Cards with these marks, how much do they usually go for, or are they just the same price or lower as if you were to buy the card by itself?

necrosexual

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2016, 03:08:35 am »

Hmm, I like to try and complete sets, I just find the card interesting as I've never come across, or heard, about something like this. Cards with these marks, how much do they usually go for, or are they just the same price or lower as if you were to buy the card by itself?

depends on who is buying and for what purpose... as in any other tcg hobby. i don't even have to play pokemon tcg to know this.
but for the most part (unless you find someone who is looking specifically for scrap cards for some reason) you're going to get a bit less lower than average... even from just players of the game. because competition judges aren't too keen on anything on a card that can 'mark' it as a deck predictor. unless that person uses card sleeve, then they might give the same value, as they're not looking to collect, but only for pure trade value...

...and that's the problem when it comes to this: people looking to play the card will only be looking to trade card(s)-for-card, usually. exchange of money is rare (and sometimes banned in shops... local shop of mine has cash-for-card trades banned between customers... people do it anyway, and i don't think the guy batted an eye when i traded a wii for half a deck of rare MtG cards back in 2011 lmao)

as for collectors, most of them want their stuff as close to mint as possible... to preserve. cards with potential judge markers (it varies by judge, but a lot of them are incredibly anal) and cards with ANY damage whatsoever aren't really sought after over their unmarked/undamaged counterparts. and collectors definitely want them in the best condition possible... even holofoil curling is unacceptable.

your best bet is to find another player, who plays exclusively with card sleeves, who will shrug off a bit of damage, then ask if they're looking to give a bit of cash for cards. just don't expect anything higher than the low selling point on tcgplayer.com from most, if they even trade cards for cash in the first place))

if i'm an NPC, i want to be the secret boss in a low tier niche JRPG.

tripredacus

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2016, 09:55:29 am »
Without seeing a picture, if it is indeed a scrap caused by roller mark, then in the secondary market it would be priced as a common. If you ever went to a store or flea market where they sell cards, and there is a box with the cheapest cards, it would be in there. Those cheap bins are where I go to find scrap, error or other defect cards for my small collection.

Note: Scrap get its term as being a type of printing defect that would normally lead to the card being pulled during inspection at the factory and then recycled or destroyed. They are not supposed to have made it to pack out and sold. Of all scrap, roller marks are the most common to find inside packs because they are hard to tell just by looking at them.