Author Topic: Does anyone on here speed run? Have you ever thought about trying?  (Read 1740 times)

Re: Does anyone on here speed run? Have you ever thought about trying?
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2017, 10:29:34 am »
I do speedrun Resident Evil 2 mainly , planning to speedrun others soon =)

rayne315

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2017, 12:19:33 pm »
I used to speed run shadow of the colossus and been pondering speed running the last guardian. I would say go for speed running BotW. if im not mistaken you can beat the game in about an hour/hour and a half. only real difficulty is killing Gannon with basically no good weaponry.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

alkaid

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2017, 10:01:37 pm »
Maybe a couple games like Sonic 1 and Kid Klown in Crazy Chase casually, but I'm not really good enough at any (non-automatic scrolling) games to compete or anything.

Before anyone gets too butt hurt, this is my opinion and you are completely allowed to have whatever opinion you want about Speed Runs, but without further delay here are my thoughts.

I think speed running, while it gives certain games extra value in being able to play them in a way that wasn't necessarily intended, is typically dumb as shit since either speed running decreases the value of the game significantly (story is completely ignored, as are a lot of parts that make the game great or speed running is most a contest of who can exploit loose code in a game better to get to the end. I have little to no respect for the hobby, and think it is just dumb.

I kinda get your thinking. To be honest, there's quite a few games where if I were to seriously speedrun it, it would probably kill the enjoyment for me. If someone can run through their favorite RPG again and again even with skipping all the cutscenes and much of the game, more power to them, but there's definitely a few speedrunners who don't even seem to enjoy what they're doing that much anymore. At some point people should limit themselves. But as far as watching speedruns go, it's kind of like a showcase of glitches, which I think is kinda neat. People have really dug deep into understanding a game at a technical level to find exploits, and as someone into computers and programming, I find it interesting. Glitchless runs are also cool, since it's more about pure skill and mastery of the game. If one is decent enough at the game, it's also fun to casually go as fast as you can, as sin2beta said, since it's not just about how fast you are, but how good you are.
No, really.