Author Topic: What You Hate About Some Video Games (level types) Challenges Your Weakest Point  (Read 2968 times)

Warmsignal

One thing about old games that annoys me a lot, is getting stuck all of the time in the same place because you have no idea what to do. There are no on screen instructions or even any hints. So you stand there jumping around, hitting every button, trying everything with no luck. Finally when you look it up, it's something nonsensical that you never would have guessed to try.

I hate when games don't give you a map or they dont give you an objective marker to see where to go. Or have limited hints and a level design that basically dooms you into getting lost. especially early on when you dont know where the place is it can be frustrating and time consuming without a basic idea of where to go or a mini map. Alot of turn based RPGs tell you to go a place but you forget where it is or havent a clue and have to wander aimlessly.  The map in the pause menu or the mini map in the corner doesnt make the game any easier or worst it just makes it less troublesome and convenient.  I feel every game should have one except games that have small worlds or obvious linear paths like Mario.   But in a vast open game where you travel alot.  A map is essential.  I cant recall the games off hand but lack of map and getting lost has made me sell games before lol.  :) 

My weakest type of game that i struggle with are soccer (football) games and Turn based RPGs that have poor level design and no maps. :)   

Disappearing blocks. F* disappearing blocks! Mega Man is notorious for the damn things, but it's not alone. So many 8-bit offenders.

Wait a minute I'm an 8-Bit fan and am not offended, at contrary have seen this damn blocks at Mario Galaxy 2 and even when they are much easier than the ones at the MM saga still hate them  >:(

I agree with lot of you who responded and I read each and every response. about the disappearing  blocks in mega man 1 all I can say is  I got past all stages on PS2 except  the GutMan Stage and the Iceman stage, but of course didn't play the original MM for NES. I own both the Mega Man Anniversary Collection and the and the Mega Man X collection for PlayStation 2. there is some kind of sequence to the disappearing blocks I think that the Gutman stage in Mega Man 1 is short but I don't know off hand where to jump without cheating off the main platform because on the Gutman stage where to jump is invisible I mean it has to be I could sit on top of the platform all day and nothing ever comes near to jump on that I can see, it appears to be a dead end to me. My platforming skills are only average so a game like the original Duke Nukem and Duke Nukem II. is vary fun and a breeze to play  Yes Indeed the first 2 duke games were 2D PC/DOS platformers made my Apogee in 1991 and 1992. the Iceman stage also seems injumpable so I am not sure if it is a glitch or my logic is not calculating with it.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 07:23:10 pm by oldgamerz »
updated on 5-14-2024 5:30AM (EST)
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)
(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)
NO APPS NEEDED
64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage
over 28,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

https://nap.casthost.net:2199/start/Justinangelradio/

(requires Google Chrome or Firefox Edge does not work with this link but other links exist)

maximo310

Disappearing blocks. F* disappearing blocks! Mega Man is notorious for the damn things, but it's not alone. So many 8-bit offenders.

Wait a minute I'm an 8-Bit fan and am not offended, at contrary have seen this damn blocks at Mario Galaxy 2 and even when they are much easier than the ones at the MM saga still hate them  >:(

I agree with lot of you who responded and I read each and every response. about the disappearing  blocks in mega man 1 all I can say is  I got past all stages on PS2 except  the GutMan Stage and the Iceman stage, but of course didn't play the original MM for NES. I own both the Mega Man Anniversary Collection and the and the Mega Man X collection for PlayStation 2. there is some kind of sequence to the disappearing blocks I think that the Gutman stage in Mega Man 1 is short but I don't know off hand where to jump without cheating off the main platform because on the Gutman stage where to jump is invisible I mean it has to be I could sit on top of the platform all day and nothing ever comes near to jump on that I can see, it appears to be a dead end to me. My platforming skills are only average so a game like the original Duke Nukem and Duke Nukem II. is vary fun and a breeze to play  Yes Indeed the first 2 duke games were 2D PC/DOS platformers made my Apogee in 1991 and 1992. the Iceman stage also seems injumpable so I am not sure if it is a glitch or my logic is not calculating with it.
The flipping platforms in Gutsman's only flip at specific segments where there is a small dashed line instead of a complete segmented line; its just a manner of timing. In Iceman's stage, the dissapearing blocks have a specific pattern of appearing, while those other platforms that shoot off bullets follow a specific path ( i usually use magnet missile since its far too easy to get hit off those to your death).

Most of the difficulty in MM1 comes from figuring out the obtuse level design in those Wily stages, and I haven't gone back to it after beating MM1 for that reason alone.

Mechanically, the most annoying thing for me is poor camera control because of a level or the environment. I'm a huge Dark Souls fan, and in a similar vein, have been playing Monster Hunter a lot lately. When I run into either boss fights, or monster fights, where the camera is all wonky due to the environment, usually tight surroundings, it drives me nuts, I'm looking at you Capra Demon. It's not something I feel I run into too often, but it drives me up a wall when it does.

Besides that I'd probably have to agree with poor platforming in games that don't need it, again usually 3D environments. I especially dislike it when its a case of, you have to make this jump, but there is very little indication as to how you make the jump or where, usually its, you will grab this ledge, but we aren't going to mark it in a way or make it in any way obvious that you are actually going to grab it, just jump and hope for the best.

I HATE forced stealth in games! If I wanted to play a stealth game I'd play Tenchu, Metal Gear Solid or Splinter Cell, all of which I am meh on on a good day. When I am playing a game that is primarily an action adventure game, or some other genre, placing arbitrary stealth section just pisses me off beyond belief. Two infamous examples of this are Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 and most recently Zelda Breath of the Wild. Both games are good, especially Zelda, but the stealth sections of these games were among my most hated sections to get through. I guess stealth in video games goes against my general play style and what I enjoy while playing a game.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

I HATE forced stealth in games! If I wanted to play a stealth game I'd play Tenchu, Metal Gear Solid or Splinter Cell, all of which I am meh on on a good day. When I am playing a game that is primarily an action adventure game, or some other genre, placing arbitrary stealth section just pisses me off beyond belief. Two infamous examples of this are Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 and most recently Zelda Breath of the Wild. Both games are good, especially Zelda, but the stealth sections of these games were among my most hated sections to get through. I guess stealth in video games goes against my general play style and what I enjoy while playing a game.

I completely agree. I hate being stealthy in games where I shouldn't have to. I never made it past the castle in the beginning of LoZ: Twilight Princess, as a result. I've heard it's one of the better Zelda games, too.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

I completely agree. I hate being stealthy in games where I shouldn't have to. I never made it past the castle in the beginning of LoZ: Twilight Princess, as a result. I've heard it's one of the better Zelda games, too.

I don't remember there being a stealth section in Twilight Princess. I remember forsaken Fortress in Wind Waker having stealth in the beginning but that's it.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

I don't remember there being a stealth section in Twilight Princess. I remember forsaken Fortress in Wind Waker having stealth in the beginning but that's it.

I may have gotten the two mixed up, it's been a long time. But you start off in a dungeon in a large castle and have to sneak your way out, or at least it's real close to the beginning of the game, if not quite right away.

Agozer

Oh man, and slide-puzzles. You know, the ones you had as a kid, where there's 9 block spaces, and one is empty, so you can move 8 tiles around the board, one space at a time. One of the handheld Metroidvania Castlevania games had this as a puzzle in the game, and that's as far as I got. I just can't do those damn things.
This. So much this. I don't have the mental flexibility for these. I can do them, but it usually takes a lot longer than necessary, or then I get it right quickly by accident. This is also part of the reason why I don't own a Rubik's Cube.