Author Topic: Not For Resale: A Video Game Store Documentary  (Read 1127 times)

Not For Resale: A Video Game Store Documentary
« on: May 24, 2017, 02:04:57 am »
Just saw this on one of the video game facebook groups I'm in. I think this would be a documentary to have. I'm sure a lot of us on here can appreciate something like this since we are all collectors. I know there is a retro game store here in central FL that I love. I go to them every chance I can get. So seeing a Documentary about brick and mortar stores and how they survive and such would be awesome to watch. Check it out

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/not-for-resale-a-video-game-store-documentary-film-media#/

Re: Not For Resale: A Video Game Store Documentary
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 10:03:22 am »
Just saw this on one of the video game facebook groups I'm in. I think this would be a documentary to have. I'm sure a lot of us on here can appreciate something like this since we are all collectors. I know there is a retro game store here in central FL that I love. I go to them every chance I can get. So seeing a Documentary about brick and mortar stores and how they survive and such would be awesome to watch. Check it out

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/not-for-resale-a-video-game-store-documentary-film-media#/

I remember about 5 or 6 years ago Racketboy had a series where he went to various game stores around the country and showed off what they had. It was definitely interesting stuff and made me want to go to a few of these stores really bad. They were filmed before collecting blew up too, which makes it even more bitter sweet.

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 02:15:39 pm »

I remember about 5 or 6 years ago Racketboy had a series where he went to various game stores around the country and showed off what they had. It was definitely interesting stuff and made me want to go to a few of these stores really bad. They were filmed before collecting blew up too, which makes it even more bitter sweet.

That's cool. I know I've been collecting video games for most of my life. I wish when I was younger I didn't get talked into selling off my SNES and NES. I had close to 200 nes games. I just got a PS1 and my grandmother talked me into selling off my old stuff since I have new stuff which is "Better". At first I said no but she kept at until I finally said yes. Then many years later I started missing my snes and nes greatly.

I own a few of my original nes games like my zelda games and a few others. Sadly my the first zelda game is dead now. Since i was a child i remember going to flea markets picking up nes games for only like $2 or $3. Going to thrift stores, good wills, and other retro game stores. Every game store i went to closed up in time. The one I go to now has been around for years now. They also have two locations which the other one is too far for me to go to. I also recently discovered another retro game store here that's not too far from me.

I go to one of the fleamarkets here from time to time. Which is where ive found most of my recent finds at. There is this one guy that goes and setups up there. He has nothing but video games. However, i refuse to buy from him. The couple of times i've looked at his stuff, one it's over priced, Games that i know i can buy for only a few bucks or higher priced games for less than what he wants. Also his ways of trying to sell you things. i was looking at his stuff and listening to him trying to sell Pokemon Ruby Red to someone. He was talking it up saying how rare it is that you won't be able to find it anywhere else that easy. then the person ask how much and he goes "Because of how rare it is im can't sell it no less than $40" mind you this was just the game it's self, no box no manual, nothing other than the game. im standing there thinking in my head "wtf... no... just no" since then i've always walked right by his stuff. I do not deal with people like that. Hell No.

Warmsignal

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 05:09:26 pm »
Interesting but... Unfortunately a lot of game stores now are just brick and mortar locations for one massive eBay seller. Just a reminder of how much you feel like finding a new hobby, and the stock rarely changes much. Plenty of filler lining the shelves, and then the "rarez" under glass for a fortune. A lot of stores like that just aren't the same kind of experience to me, from what I remember back in the day. It's not a retail experience, it's the reseller experience.

I totally appreciate the concept of having a physical game store, but honestly the only one I care about anymore is GameStop because they deal mostly in areas that haven't yet been ruined by game collecting. I like to go there and just pick up something brand new, or to pickup an untouched looking pre-owned game for a decent price. But going to my locally owned retro store has become tiresome. Sure there's a bunch of cool older stuff, but it's the same stuff again and again, $50 for this one, $23 for that one, $80 for that one that's missing half of it's cover. What's the point? I just spent $5 of my vehicle's fuel going out there. Wasn't gonna pick anything up there last time, not going to this time either. I've got access to eBay at home.

Not to be down on the video, but it's just the impression I get nowadays any time I walk into a small, locally owned game store.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 05:11:21 pm by Warmsignal »