Author Topic: Developers and Publishers when Adding a Game to the Site  (Read 971 times)

bezbot

Developers and Publishers when Adding a Game to the Site
« on: September 03, 2017, 11:41:38 am »
So I've added a lot of games to the site and been using it for quite some time now. What bothers me is many times the people who developed or published the game aren't on the list. But what I do see on the list is lots of misspelled repeats. So what to do about this? I think that you should just remove the list of developers and publishers. There is no possible way that every developer will be on the list. So I recommend to remove the list and instead have a text box where you can type in the developers name for each name. It makes much more sense saying how many developers there are. Also even if the developer is on the list, it'd take just as long to type it out than t is scrolling down the long list. This idea also works because if the developer is spelled wrong, the wrong developer, or if a person didn't include it anyone can edit the name later. This works with game titles so I can't see it being abused in anyway. Reply if you want to tell me what you think of the site issue or other ways to fix it.

Re: Developers and Publishers when Adding a Game to the Site
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 03:22:24 pm »
I think the dropdown works better long-term. It should reduce the amount of misspells found while also leaving a solid foundation for search by publisher/developer in the future.

www.gamelust.com Looking for help with data entry and creating content(news/reviews).

Agozer

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 03:59:37 pm »
I agree, the current dropdown list works better, and develope/publisher requests get handly pretty quickly. The current lists also have a fair amount of typos and the like so some admin should probably go through both lists once.

bezbot

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 07:48:13 pm »
The problem is that there are tons of developers not included in the list. Especially newer ones, successful or not. So many games are left with no developer or publisher listed at all because of this. Also it takes awhile to scroll though it especially because you can't search the list. A list does sound nice but I think there are just way too much indie developers today that having a list of every one is just not possible. So I think removing that adding something where you can type in the developer would be
easy to use and practical. Also it would be good if they added something where you could search the developer to see the games they made. And there are many misspellings in the list along with differences. There are even exact repeats in the list. The nice part about this site is you can add the weirdest games nobody has ever heard of for the system in your collection. So why not do the same with developers and publishers?

Agozer

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 01:09:38 pm »
If there is no developer or publisher on the list, simply make a request for it in the appropriate thread. Those gets added very quickly. There is also a  way to very quickly check the dropdown list for specific developers or publishers; simply click once to open the list, and then type the first few letters in quick succession. This way the list immediately jumps to closest entry that matches what you typed.

It's axctually a nice idea to filter your own collection based on developers or publishers. I agree that ther are a lot of misspellings and such. This is why I suggested that some admin(s) should go through the actual list to get rid of misspelled entries.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 05:21:48 pm by Agozer »

tripredacus

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 11:45:06 am »
But what I do see on the list is lots of misspelled repeats. So what to do about this?

Its a daunting task to go through those sections and fix those mistakes. No one wants to do it I gather...  ;D

Maybe I will try it out later this week.

tripredacus

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 11:23:59 am »
Ok the reason of "no one wants to do it" is valid enough. The tool we have to do this is cumbersome to use. And another issue is that we may not know which is the things that should be deleted or merged. For example, I know that Aklaim and Akklaim are invalid and should be Acclaim... and the reason they were there in the first place is because of how their logo looks.

But then there are entries like
Acclaim
Acclaim Entertainment
Acclaim Entertainment Inc.

Are these the same thing? Should it only be Acclaim or Acclaim and Acclaim Entertainment?

So those are just examples.

I think that going through the list by one admin manually would not be a good idea because of these issues and how the tool we have works. HOWEVER, I think that users can request that specific developers and publishers can be fixed as they come across them.

We cannot remove these entries per-se, we can only merge them. So if you find a developer or publisher that needs to be fixed, post it as
Incorrect Name -> Correct Name

This will change all entries using Incorrect Name to the Correct Name, and remove the Incorrect Name from the list.
Please put those type of requests into this thread:
https://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,5820.0.html