Author Topic: Family-friendly original Xbox games  (Read 1657 times)

Family-friendly original Xbox games
« on: November 02, 2017, 07:53:59 pm »
The library at a university in my hometown is hosting a "Video Game Night" in late January. It will feature game consoles from the second generation onward. I've been asked to bring my original Xbox to represent the sixth generation. However, one stipulation is that I need to provide around half a dozen games that would be considered "family-friendly". They should also be pretty easy to pick up, play, and put down after a few minutes (so no SoulCalibur II, Dead or Alive, or Prince of Persia). I own the Star Wars: The Clone Wars / Tetris Worlds and Sega GT 2002 / JSRF combo discs, and those are the only ones I think would pass. I might be able to include Halo 2 since I don't think there's too much language/blood/gore/etc in the multiplayer mode.

I'd like to include between 2-5 additional games. My knowledge of and experience with Xbox is very limited, though. So what good/enjoyable games are available on the Xbox that are "family-friendly" and easy to experience in a pretty short amount of time?

I write for a video game/movie/book review blog that can be found here

Re: Family-friendly original Xbox games
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 09:09:36 pm »
One thing I can think of is finding demo disks, as those will have 15-minute blurbs of several different games apiece.

I would suggest reconsidering SoulCalibur as that's a great game for a demo, both because as a fighting game, games are quite short, and a person can still easily get into it via button mashing.

Beyond that, I'd probably suggest:

At least one fighting game (If not SoulCalibur, then Marvel Vs. Capcom or King of Fighters)
A Burnout game (2 or beyond)
Cel Damage
Crimson Skies
Crash: Tag Team Racing
Fuzion Frenzy
The Simpsons: Hit & Run
A SSX game
Star Wars Battlefront (1 or 2)
A Tony Hawk game

And if you really want to throw people for a loop, Steel Battalion with its controller.  Granted, it's not the most demo-able game, but it would make it the center of attention.

desocietas

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 12:19:31 am »
I wonder if you'd be able to load up a quick save file to make it easy to get to the meat of the game...? Psychonauts is pretty friendly. Can't recall if there's much in way of cutscenes to start if anything, but you can just easily run around and talk to NPCs.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 08:50:32 am »
My local game stores were telling me it's insane how much folks want original Xbox games and systems these days.  Someone trades in an OG Xbox and it gets sold within 10 minutes or so.  I was in there yesterday and someone traded one in and someone in the store immediately bought it.  Store was basically a middleman taking a giant chunk of money to let one guy sell his xbox to the other guy.

Only going to suggest stuff I haven't seen mentioned

Blinx the time sweeper
Fable
OutRun 2 or PGR
Timesplitters 2

And if you're insane  Steel Battalion

insettasport

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 06:14:18 pm »
> Forza Motorsport. Has quite a few cars available from the start.
> Midtown Madness 3. Has fewer cars from the start, but it is open world.

sworddude

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 06:16:38 pm »
To be honest I can't imagine first person shooters or anything with lasers and light sabers in it to be family friendly   ;)
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 11:27:37 pm »
I hope this helps

Crazy Taxi 3
MTV's Celebrity Deathmatch
NBA Jam
Namco Museum
Outrun
Street Fighter: Anniversary Collection
Tecmo Classic Arcade
Tetris Worlds
The Simpson's: Hit & Run
The Simpson's: Road Rage
Unreal Championship
SSX 3
Sonic Riders
Pinball Hall of Fame: The Gottlieb Collection
Midway Arcade Treasures
Midway Arcade Treasures 2
Midway Arcade Treasures 3
Crash Nitro Kart
Crash Tag Team Racing
Midnight Club 3: Dub Edition Remix
Monopoly Party
Rocky
Rocky Legends
fight Night Round 3

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 11:33:36 pm »
Do they have to be console exclusive?   If you don't own any of these their extremely cheap and common so it should be an easy list to find. :) 

Forza Motorsport
Need for Speed Underground 2
Psychonauts (Little higher end but a true gem of the console gen)
Fuzion Frenzy 
Jet set radio
Super Monkey Ball Deluxe
Crazy Taxi
Simpson's Hit and Run

All of these games are not only relatable and of beloved franchises they are extremely simple and easy to pick up and go :D.   And since it's OG xbox they should be cheaper than their PS2 or GC counterparts and some are exclusive.  I think without violent games which make up a lot of Xbox's OG library it's a pretty good representation.    ;D