Author Topic: Favorite Album of 2017  (Read 1000 times)

Favorite Album of 2017
« on: December 17, 2017, 04:52:01 pm »
That time of year, releases have mostly finished up, you've probably been listening to your favorite album a ton, so lets see what people were enjoying!  This of course is for just whatever, no specific genre, just what you enjoyed this year.

My honorable mention goes to an album that was made in 2015 from a small band called Nylithia, who made "Hyperthrash".  I had heard of this band before with a song or two from awhile back, they did a great Bowsers Castle from NES Mario years ago and I had heard a song from their actual album and then found the album and realized that holy crap, this album is amazing.  So I can't count it for this year, but I've listened to these songs dozens of times.

Sadly not a year that did a lot for me album wise.  Listenable stuff for sure, and some stuff I actually missed (I haven't gotten around to checking out November Doom or Annihilator).  Pentakill, the League of Legends metal band, released a free album that was pretty solid fantasy power metal.  Overkill released another solid, but familiar album.  Marty Friedman did another solo release, but it didn't hit me as much as his last one, Inferno, did.  I kinda liked parts of Iced Earth's new album.  I liked Arch Enemy's new release more than their last one.

Otherwise, I think my favorite 2017 album is going to be Brendon Small's "Galaktikon 2".  There isn't a lot that blew me away on this, but I enjoyed it because it feels almost like a Dethklok album and we haven't had a proper one 2012 as 2013 was the Doomstar Requiem, which was from their musical one-off.

Re: Favorite Album of 2017
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 06:41:26 pm »
Father John Misty - Pure Comedy

Kendrick Lamar - Damn

N.E.R.D - No One Ever Really Dies

Big K.R.I.T - 4eva Is A Mighty Long Time

Been spending most of my time getting into hip-hop and rap over this past year, helps that there's been some solid releases. Kendrick's Damn isn't perfect but a number of the songs I can play over and over and not get bored of. The Big Krit album I enjoy front to back, not many tracks there that I'll skip or dislike. The new NERD album that just released is my first time listening to them, and I was in from the release of the single Lemon. The beats are groovy and fun and the album is just a fun and bouncing listen.

My favorite release would probably be Father John Misty's Pure Comedy though, I love this album, and its a perfectly depressing stamp on this year.

stealthrush

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 09:33:53 pm »
Plasticzooms - self titled

X Japan - We Are X

Mucc - Myakuhaku

Stone Sour - Hydrograd

AFI - self titled

Honorable Mention: Demon Hunter - Outlive, Marilyn Manson - Heaven Upside Down, Seether - Poison the Parish, A Killer's Confession - Unbroken, Motograter - Desolation.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 09:35:39 pm by stealthrush »

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 10:56:49 am »

21 Savage :)

hexen

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 07:58:46 pm »

I don't follow music at all. I like singles sometimes, but albums are almost always lucky to have 2 songs I care about, the vast majority contain 0. Ride the Lightning and Rust in Peace may be the only two albums that have passed the 50% ratio for me.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 08:02:44 pm by hexen »
Take a spin, now you're in with the techno set! You're going surfing on the internet!

Warmsignal

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 11:46:15 pm »

"Science Fiction" the farewell album by Brand New.

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2017, 05:57:47 pm »
I could have a new favorite with an album I totally forgot about till I saw a new video, but this band Beast in Black is pretty dope.  They have a lot of love for the Berserk manga and that's great to me.  Pretty solid power metal, but I'll need the rest of the week to listen to it good to see how much of an impact it has.