Author Topic: Physical Cases for Digital Only Switch Games.  (Read 1490 times)

Physical Cases for Digital Only Switch Games.
« on: January 02, 2018, 08:21:31 pm »
Hello everyone :).

I have recently been buying some of the seemingly endless supply of Switch's digital only games.  It pains me to but with games like Sonic Mania, Snake Pass and ect.. i just really want them and it hurts that I have no physical representation of it in my collection to feel like I own something.   So I went on a search to find a solid custom case for these games and struck what seems to be exactly what I was looking for.  I figured i'd share with other switch lovers in case anyone wanted cool cases.

So I found this guy on Ebay selling custom cases he makes and they really do look awesome with inside art work and all.  He has made NBA Playgrounds, Sonic Mania ect..    but most especially snake pass :D

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Snake-Pass-Nintendo-Switch-Custom-Case-with-Sleeve-Art/272945474519?hash=item3f8cd16bd7:g:e28AAOSwLdBaEjTO

Not sure if it's a good idea or not as it's really only a piece of plastic.  But I do love the idea of having them displayed.  I just hate digital only with a passion.  It really shouldn't be common practice :(

What are your thoughts on fan made cases for digital only games?  Would you buy them? :)

thewelshman

Re: Physical Cases for Digital Only Switch Games.
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 09:32:52 pm »
I think if you're a hard-core collector and need to have a physical case to display to show you own the game, as long as the cases aren't a stupid amount, then I see no issue with owning them. It's not quite the same, but I purchased some repro cases for my Dragon Quest DS games since they came with the game only (thanks GameStop.) I like having them to display like a personal library on a shelf for all to see. Much like people used to do, and still do, with leather-bound books.

hexen

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 09:39:41 pm »
You just reminded me how sad I am Sonic Mania doesn't have a physical Switch version...

I don't even track my digital collection because I don't consider ownership over something that could just be taken away for any reason the service provider wanted. A mock-up physical box wouldn't cut it for me either, sadly... considering modern collectors editions are sometimes mock-up boxes themselves that don't even include the damn game!

I hate the current state of physical things.

Take a spin, now you're in with the techno set! You're going surfing on the internet!

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 01:29:23 pm »
You just reminded me how sad I am Sonic Mania doesn't have a physical Switch version...

I don't even track my digital collection because I don't consider ownership over something that could just be taken away for any reason the service provider wanted. A mock-up physical box wouldn't cut it for me either, sadly... considering modern collectors editions are sometimes mock-up boxes themselves that don't even include the damn game!

I hate the current state of physical things.

A Physical edition of Sonic Mania is coming. ESRB rated it a couple months ago

topspot123

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 10:31:41 pm »
I like the idea and made a post about this a bit back:
 https://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,8348.msg139178.html#msg139178.

I feel like our collections should make us happy and if this does it for you, go ahead!  They really are nice.  For me, I've always been a cheapskate on a small budget, so I tend to put my available funds towards more games. 

I also face space issues.  For my Xbox Magazine Demo discs, I used to house each one in a slim line DVD case, but eventually, I had to store them in their cardboard sleeves only as I ran out of media shelf room.  So be sure to consider if this is sustainable long term.