Author Topic: Need tips for starting a ps2 collection (PAL)  (Read 1268 times)

midnightlpx

Need tips for starting a ps2 collection (PAL)
« on: February 04, 2018, 11:40:29 am »
As the title says I'm starting to collect for the ps2 and would love some recommendations hidden gems or well known games anything will help.

dreama1

Re: Need tips for starting a ps2 collection (PAL)
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 12:29:07 pm »
As the title says I'm starting to collect for the ps2 and would love some recommendations hidden gems or well known games anything will help.

Kengo.

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 03:26:57 pm »
everybody has different tastes for their PS2 games. So I suggest YouTube reviews made by various people. You didn't say what kind of games you are into. here is a link to a bunch of PS2 reviews to help out some. because for myself I favor First Person Shooters, Sports games and Arcade Compilation ports over RPGs, Platformers

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ps2+reviews

Anyway I highly recommend if you don't mind mostly 1980's and early 1990's arcade games also early 1980's atari and intellivision

1: Capcom Classics Volume 1
2: Capcom Classics Volume 2
3: Midway Arcade Treasures 1
4: Midway Arcade Treasures 2
5: Midway Arcade Treasures 3
6: Taito Legends 1
7: Taito Legends 2
8: Mega Man Anniversary Collection
9: Megaman X Collection
10: Atari Anthology
11: Activision Anthology
12: Intellivision lives
13: SNK Arcade Classics Vol. 1
14: Namco Museum: 50th Anniversary
15: Sonic Mega Collection Plus

These games are good starters because they all contain multiple games per purchase
updated on 5-14-2024 5:30AM (EST)
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)
(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)
NO APPS NEEDED
64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage
over 28,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

https://nap.casthost.net:2199/start/Justinangelradio/

(requires Google Chrome or Firefox Edge does not work with this link but other links exist)

telly

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 04:23:49 pm »
I would definitely recommend Ace Combat 4, 5 and Zero. Such a great series on the PS2 that doesn't get enough love!
Currently Playing:
Super Paper Mario (Wii), Super Mario Bros. 3 (Wii U)

My music collection | My Backloggery

shfan

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 04:54:54 pm »
It's not what you asked, but as an aside, my PS2 collection is almost exclusively PAL PS2 exclusives (the only exceptions I could see are Fairly Odd Parents, Silent Hill 2 and Project Zero 1 & 2 and some Dynasty Warriors games), so if you want to browse some obscure games in this category it's an option.

My personal recommendations would be: Chaos Legion (the testbed for Devil May Cry and a much better game IMHO), Gregory Horror Show (survival horror with a cutesy twist in a hotel run by a mouse made of cubes), Zombie Zone/Zombie Slayers/Zombie Slayers 2 (early entries in the Oneechanbara/bikini zombie slayers series), Monster Attack/Earth Defense Force (giant ants meet giant firepower), Project Zero series (survival horror where you attack Japanese ghosts with a camera) and the Dynasty Warriors series.

If you like quirky games, Japanese games and want access to the majority of the games released in that console generation then the PS2 is certainly the way to go.

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 03:03:16 am »
Many PS2 games are really cheap, and often people will sell large lots for peanuts just to get rid of them. So I can recommend buying in bulk to begin with to get your collection started.

I'm like you, just recently started collecting for the system as well. So many great games out there. I sometimes also buy consoles really cheap, often they come with a pile of games as well.

sworddude

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 05:35:57 am »
As far as taste goes no tips here.

Collect what you like to play and don't listen to others if you would like my opinion

As far as lots go, yes ps2 lots can sell for peanuts but in most cases the actual good obsecure stuff is hard to come by very rarely does one see very interesting lots for cheap just for the simple fact that the games that sold well are the one you will see, many of the good games did not sell as well as allot of the stuff you will see allot, not to mention most people who has a ps2 have crap that most do not want to have unfortunately aside from the mainstream good games like kingdom hearts jak & daxter you name it even though they have many games. With other consoles there is a pretty solid chance for good stuff but ps2 is definitely on the lower end in my opinion.

in allot of cases people who have like 40 - 150 games in those so called lots have very few interesting games aside from the cheaper classics wich were mainstream, in those rare instances one can get lucky where a very solid amount is good stuff but usually those people had a hobby back in the day however know nothing of the market value and just want to get rid of it or just some random bargain bin finds by some mom while the kids didn't like them games.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 06:06:07 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

azure

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 07:24:11 am »
Look through the library and research the games that look interesting to you. Go from there and collect what you like, and want to play.

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2018, 09:09:24 am »
I agree with the idea of getting a lot to start as well, but with the caveat that you do some checking up & know what games you're after, so you can be sure there's enough value in said lot to be worth your while. Basically a 'games I really want and some bonus stuff' kind of idea.

I'd look up 'best [genre] PS2 games' online, as well as generic best of lists, to get a feel for what's out there you might want. The PS2 library is huge, so it'll take a fair bit of research to find things.

Based on my personal collection, I'd blindly recommend the following (please note I'm American & haven't checked these for PAL releases):

Klonoa 2: Luntea's Veil
Shadow Hearts series
Katamari-goddamn-Damacy!