Author Topic: Is the ultimate goal for you getting full sets of games?  (Read 1807 times)

mark1982

Re: Is the ultimate goal for you getting full sets of games?
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2018, 05:10:19 am »
Definitely not, as some have stated in this thread, I only get games that I'll play or will play down the line. There are plenty of shovelware on any platform that I have no intention of playing so no need to get those for the sake of buying.

I do understand the fact that some people want to go after full sets for being completionists, which is cool. After all we are in a forum for video game collectors on VGCollect where the thrill of the hunt can be a satisfying feeling as well for some. However that's not for me. I do have a friend who's going after a full PS1 set, it looks impressive on his shelf but he mentioned there are a lot of games he won't play in the end but he enjoys looking for all of em.
  l    l 

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2018, 01:46:28 pm »
Nope, just what I need really. The only complete set of anything I would do is a complete set of a particular game series that I enjoy.

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2018, 09:24:01 am »
Besides, I tend to focus on nintendo stuff, and can you imagine trying to get a complete set for something like the DS or wii? I shiver at the thought.

https://youtu.be/8sJbWQ2nA8U

kashell

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2018, 09:45:09 am »
For a while, I entertained the idea of going for a complete Sega Saturn collection since some of the more expensive hurdles were already covered.

But, even with those games out of the way, going for a complete set would still be an expensive endeavor. Even the sports titles and the boring, uninteresting stuff was pricey. So, I eventually nixed the idea. I adore the Saturn, but for every excellent title you have at least five or six low-quality ones.

I will say, though: there would be something aesthetically pleasing about a complete collection. But, it's not my thing.

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2018, 12:58:50 pm »
When games were cheaper, that was my intent.  But since the hobby has exploded and a lot of folks joined just to cash in, it's become more difficult and expensive... so no.  Just games that I want to play or may want to play down the line.

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2018, 02:44:44 pm »
As others have insinuated, defining "Collection" is the tough part for me. Definitely not looking for complete console collections. But I do entertain getting whole series, or at least one version of each game in a whole series.

Dragon quest is a good example. While I don't have every version of every game available in the core dragon quest series, I do have at least one version of every numbered game in the series released in the US; I'm missing VI (store down the street has it but wants $64 for CIB... that's a big NOPE). Same with TLOZ. I have almost one of every major TLOZ: e.g. I have the 3DS version of Majora's Mask instead of the N64 cart, and I don't have things like the grey variant of Ocarina of time, or the five-screw version of the OG NES cart.

I go for franchises more than consoles, and usually only certain versions.

I also like themed collections. As an example I have a "Kaiju" collection with giant monster games: Godzilla, Primal Rage, Ultraman, King of the Monsters, etc.