Author Topic: New Found Love  (Read 1452 times)

New Found Love
« on: April 22, 2012, 11:34:06 am »
So for prolly for the past ten years, I've been super against the Mortal Kombat series, the original trilogy, I hated the versions I had on SNES and Genesis, which really bothered me because that was like my game back in the day. Those versions just seemed so slow especially compared to Street Fighter. So I kinda converted to a Street Fighter and Neo Geo guy. Well I bought a new fight stick for my PS3 last night and decied to check it out with Street Fight and what have you, but also the Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection, let me tell you I have a new respect for Mortal Kombat, those versions are so much more playable and enjoyable for me, but even stranger I dont particularly like MK2, I really like 1 and 3, 3 is my favorite.
Anyways has anybody here discovered a game that they didnt really care for but now really like it?

soera

Re: New Found Love
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 11:42:05 am »
If you have a chance, try the new MK game. Its fantastic and leaps and bounds better than all the originals. They finally decided to scrap the stupid weapon option, scrap the horrible 3-D bullshit and went back to what made MK awesome : 2-D asskicking and nasty awesome fatalities.

faxmachine

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 12:56:56 pm »
Ultimate Mortal Kombat III still has a healthy competitive scene. Watching these guys play blows my mind! It is still a really good game. There is an arcade version of it just down the street from me.

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 02:35:02 pm »
@soera Yeah I almost bought it today acually but opted for Street Fighter X Tekken, I figure I'm just going to but the new Mortal Kombat with the fight stick, from a guy a couple blocks down for $60.
@faxmachine Thats Awesome! The arcade I frequent has MK3 tornements as well I just never entered, I went with X-men vs Street Fighter ha. Yeah i dont know though I know some people love it and some people hate it, it just one of those ones that has polarizing opinion

kirbysuperstar

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 11:17:19 pm »
I really can't stand Street Fighter at all, but I'm fond of SF Alpha 3, even if the vast majority of its characters are blatant clones and it has the audacity to include Guy and Cody but not MIKE F***IN' HAGGAR.

amauriel

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 08:04:24 am »
To answer your question, I guess anything for the Sega.  I was 100% a Nintendo kid when I was growing up. The school sold magazines as a fundraiser and the only gaming mag was Nintendo Power...I was completely oblivious to what was out for the Sega. Also, my parents were pretty overprotective and they bought into the hype when Mortal Kombat came out and the Sega version had blood and spine-pulling and all of that.

So I was in college, in 2002 or so, when I played the original Sonic the Hedgehog for the first time (besides demoing in a store). By this time I owned Sonic games (Sonic Adventure 2 Battle was one of the first 3 games I got for my Gamecube -- other two were Smash Bros. Melee and Pikmin) and I knew the characters. But I had never played a game on the Genesis until then (besides Lion King and Aladdin...a friend had those).

My college roommate my Sophomore year took me under her wing and got me up to speed on the Sega world, however. She had been a Sega kid all the way through the Dreamcast, and she made sure I could hold my own on Sonic, Ecco, Shining Force, Soul Calibur, Skies of Arcadia, Jet Set Radio, and Space Channel 5, among others.

Some of my favorite games are now Sega properties, and some of the best new experiences I've had with retro games have been for the Genesis. Ronalopolis was sorta a Sega kid so that helps as well, and I've had to admit that sometimes Sega games were pretty good too.
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

matt

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 12:31:19 pm »
To answer your question, I guess anything for the Sega.  I was 100% a Nintendo kid when I was growing up. The school sold magazines as a fundraiser and the only gaming mag was Nintendo Power...I was completely oblivious to what was out for the Sega. Also, my parents were pretty overprotective and they bought into the hype when Mortal Kombat came out and the Sega version had blood and spine-pulling and all of that.

So I was in college, in 2002 or so, when I played the original Sonic the Hedgehog for the first time (besides demoing in a store). By this time I owned Sonic games (Sonic Adventure 2 Battle was one of the first 3 games I got for my Gamecube -- other two were Smash Bros. Melee and Pikmin) and I knew the characters. But I had never played a game on the Genesis until then (besides Lion King and Aladdin...a friend had those).

My college roommate my Sophomore year took me under her wing and got me up to speed on the Sega world, however. She had been a Sega kid all the way through the Dreamcast, and she made sure I could hold my own on Sonic, Ecco, Shining Force, Soul Calibur, Skies of Arcadia, Jet Set Radio, and Space Channel 5, among others.

Some of my favorite games are now Sega properties, and some of the best new experiences I've had with retro games have been for the Genesis. Ronalopolis was sorta a Sega kid so that helps as well, and I've had to admit that sometimes Sega games were pretty good too.

There was always something very charming about the good Sega games. I think they just have their very own Sega/Japanese developer feel to them or something. It's a feeling that is pretty much lost today outside of a few random Nintendo games. Most of them really stand the test of time too.

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 12:23:07 am »

I was kind of that way with Sega as well, but mine was by choice. I always ad a respect for the genesis since a cousin had it, but I "hated" Sega just by being a silly ignorant Nintendo fan-boy. However now, I mean the Saturn is my second favorite console, I feel as though Sega had so much potential and the Saturn I think shows that even more than the Dreamcast at least in my opinion.
I think a perfect example of the "Sega Charm" matt was talking about is Comix Zone, that game is great and you would never see something like that on a Nintendo console.