Author Topic: Dealing with Hardware Revisions?  (Read 1048 times)

Dealing with Hardware Revisions?
« on: December 10, 2012, 01:37:14 am »
Hey all,

New to the site here; while adding and editing entries as I cataloged my collection, I was pondering how to go about consoles with multiple revisions i.e. Sony's consoles, Dreamcast, etc.

Many of these only feature internal changes, but have different model numbers to denote this. Should there be a separate entry for each revision, or should we note every model number in the "Item Number" field? Maybe add additional item no. fields to reduce clutter?

Holding off on adding my PS2, PSP and PS3 until I get a clear answer.

htimreimer

Re: Dealing with Hardware Revisions?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 01:51:47 am »

welcome to the site fromjapanwithpixels

multiple item numbers are probably in the site's future but not anytime soon because matt has a lot on his plate including server transfer

scott

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 08:30:54 am »
Heya fromjapanwithpixels.

Welcome to the site. And ya each hardware revision is supposed to be a separate entry. So for PSP you'd have a listing for each of the 1000, 2000, and 3000 models. just like the difference between regular and greatest hits games.

And you're right on the item number. But you'd also list it on the name field as PlayStation Portable (PSP-2000).

Hope that makes sense.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 08:51:24 am »
Totally does, thanks for clearing it up for me. :D

scott

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 09:34:55 am »
Oh I forgot.

Make sure to add the region to the title. So it would be PlayStation Portable (PSP-1000) [NA]

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 02:28:49 pm »
Already assumed that based on the existing entries.  :)

I did have another question, though, using your example:

Should it always be "PlayStation Portable (PSP-1000) [NA]" instead of "PlayStation Portable (PSP-100x) [NA]" since the last digit denotes region and 0 is reserved for Japan, 1 for North America and so on?

scott

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 03:33:17 pm »
Ah, I didn't know that. Probably should be the real number ya? What does everyone else think?

tripredacus

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 06:12:18 pm »
I ran into this issue when trying to add a console. There are a few different Genesis options in the list but none really have any info. For example I have a Model 1 High-Definition VA6 with TMSS. But the ones already in the database could be either really. So I just didn't add it for now.

matt

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 11:35:50 am »
I ran into this issue when trying to add a console. There are a few different Genesis options in the list but none really have any info. For example I have a Model 1 High-Definition VA6 with TMSS. But the ones already in the database could be either really. So I just didn't add it for now.

The hardware section is kinda the wild west of the site right now. It reeeeally needs cleaned up. Hopefully we'll be able to get a few members to focus on it before it gets out of hand.