Author Topic: Gym  (Read 4513 times)

fazerco

PRO Supporter

Re: Gym
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2014, 01:20:08 pm »
No need for me for a gym. I have a job.

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2014, 06:06:56 pm »
Great responses! I would also recommend eating breakfast. I put on about 40lbs after I got married and one of the things that helped me a lot besides drinking water was eating breakfast. I had always skipped breakfast because I wasn't hungry, but I guess it kickstarts your metabolism so you burn more throughout the day even though you are consuming more calories.

yup breakfast is important. high protein breakfast

foxhack

« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2014, 11:19:04 am »
I've been thinking of going to a boxing gym since last year, but the urge came back after some recent happenings. I'm 210 lbs, but I'm also 5'11", and I walk -a lot- because of my uh, work. I'm not very fat (I do have a belly) but since I walk about 3-5 miles a day at least four days a week (and 6-8 on Wednesday) my legs are pretty muscly. Combine that with 95+ degree heat in the Summer and I lose -a lot- of weight then, but I don't have much muscle tone above the legs. I'm pretty scrawny.

Since I consume like 3000 calories -a day-, I'm surprised I'm not that much heavier. My metabolism is all sorts of weird.

I tried lifting weights a few years back, but all I got outta that was back aches.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 11:21:27 am by foxhack »

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2014, 11:50:29 am »
I've been thinking of going to a boxing gym since last year, but the urge came back after some recent happenings. I'm 210 lbs, but I'm also 5'11", and I walk -a lot- because of my uh, work. I'm not very fat (I do have a belly) but since I walk about 3-5 miles a day at least four days a week (and 6-8 on Wednesday) my legs are pretty muscly. Combine that with 95+ degree heat in the Summer and I lose -a lot- of weight then, but I don't have much muscle tone above the legs. I'm pretty scrawny.

Since I consume like 3000 calories -a day-, I'm surprised I'm not that much heavier. My metabolism is all sorts of weird.

I tried lifting weights a few years back, but all I got outta that was back aches.

Do it!  If you have the urge to take up a combat sport, do it now.  If you wait, you'll wish you always had.  Starting will be harder every day. 
The first year or so in any combat sport is the most physically demanding.  You don't know what your doing, so you're body is having to work harder.  The longer you wait, the more it takes to get your body to do that stuff.  Then, once you have the skill set and mind set your body isn't in as much demand.  I wish I had started Jiu Jitsu when I was 15.  I would be a black belt by now. My body took a beating for the first year or so, but it put me in the best shape of my life.  Now, I'm a little older and slower, but I know what I'm doing so that's ok.

foxhack

« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2014, 12:48:34 pm »
Do it!  If you have the urge to take up a combat sport, do it now.  If you wait, you'll wish you always had.  Starting will be harder every day. 
The first year or so in any combat sport is the most physically demanding.  You don't know what your doing, so you're body is having to work harder.  The longer you wait, the more it takes to get your body to do that stuff.  Then, once you have the skill set and mind set your body isn't in as much demand.  I wish I had started Jiu Jitsu when I was 15.  I would be a black belt by now. My body took a beating for the first year or so, but it put me in the best shape of my life.  Now, I'm a little older and slower, but I know what I'm doing so that's ok.
I used to take Shotokan Karate classes back in college, about twelve years ago. I liked it, but I never got a yellow belt because my legs have never had much flexibility. I did OK with arm and torso stuff, but kicks? Nope.

That's why I'm considering boxing. You don't need to stretch your legs all the way up to your head to be okay at it. :P

« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2014, 06:28:32 pm »
In high school I was a decent cross country runner. Senior year I was doing 60 miles a week. Now that I've finished college I don't really do jack. I still do a bit of cross country (skate) skiing. Now that's a good work out.

« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2014, 08:13:38 pm »
have not been as ive been sick the last 3 days  :(
this sucks. damn man flu