Author Topic: Goodwill prices.  (Read 5477 times)

Re: Goodwill prices.
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2014, 11:21:19 am »

Well in the end the show does show him going to a used games place & the owner tells him the system is worth around $10 or so.

Exactly, and it's something that these Storage Wars quoting idiots conveniently forget to mention when they pompously declare they have an NES worth thousands.

« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2014, 12:22:52 pm »
What did that Storage Wars episode with the NES say it was valued at and what did it have? Kinda curious lol

If memory serves me correctly, I believe the bozo on Storage Wars said it was worth ten grand because it was the "rare" model 001. I guess he was basing this appraisal off of an ebay auction where an NES console sold for that much. What the show conveniently failed to mention is that this ebay listing had several games with it as well, including a stupid little game called Stadium Events. But yeah, no, THAT one of ten-million NES console is the reason the auction ended for 10g *rolls eyes*

Well in the end the show does show him going to a used games place & the owner tells him the system is worth around $10 or so.

Well that is good at least. Still doesn't stop people from using that episode as a source for why they are overcharging for NES stuff I guess :p

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2014, 07:19:54 pm »
So apparently my awesome Goodwill, will now be joining the ranks of crappy Goodwills.

I went there today, got this for $5, which I'm not complaining about:

But under the glass case was a Sega Genesis with Golden Axe and Columns. How much do you think they wanted for it?

...$45. Seriously. For a Genesis.

I tried to talk to the guy behind the counter and explain to him that I wasn't interested in it, just a game collector. But as a game collector, I know that $45 is way too overpriced with that. Of course the guy acts offended like I just insulted his mother. He tries to tell me that Golden Axe and Columns go for $10 a piece for crappy copies. I couldn't stifle the laughter, and said "What?" Then said, "No, you can get those games for a couple bucks, they're incredibly common." He swears up and down that they're rare. So then I tell him how Golden Axe was a pack-in game for the Genesis like Super Mario Bros. was for NES so there's no way it's rare; and add that even if it wasn't, it's been re-released on about a dozen different game collections, driving the value down.

The guy was obviously pissed at me for questioning his pricing and wasn't backing down, so I just ended it and said, "If you think it's worth $45, alright, but nobody is gonna pay $45 for a Genesis when they can get one for $20."

They also had an original Game Boy for $25, no plug-in or accessories or anything, just the Game Boy. And the funny thing about it is that there was a Game Boy Color right next to it for $15. I pointed that one out (on another day), and their reasoning was that the original was older. I tried to explain that the Game Boy Color plays GBC games AND the old GB games and even enhances the old GB games. But again, no sell. And again, I wasn't personally interested in them as I already have both units, just trying to give them free information to help them out.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 07:22:29 pm by burningdoom »