Author Topic: Game Gear Repair Service  (Read 2491 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Game Gear Repair Service
« on: April 08, 2014, 02:14:24 pm »
Anyone here know how to do this? I need my sound on my Game Gear put back up to par, and if it doesn't cost too much, a screen replacement would be nice, too.

If you do, how much do you typically charge?

fazerco

PRO Supporter

Re: Game Gear Repair Service
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 03:18:47 pm »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 03:54:10 pm »
I really don't trust myself with that kind of technical stuff. That's why I was asking.

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 04:54:19 am »
I have the capicitors, but i didnt do i yet. Im also not that technical, so i postponed it for a year or 2 already  :-\

theflea

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 05:48:17 am »
I have a couple Game gears myself I need the screen fixed on.
"Happy game hunting!!!"

bobster

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 09:03:18 am »
For what it's worth, I just did my first cap replacement last month. First time doing any real soldering. As long as you have patience, it's not too bad. Everything works pretty great now on mine!
Currently Playing: The Witcher

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 06:18:11 pm »
Did a cap replacement with my wood burning iron because the soldering iron I borrowed had a huge tip.  It was easy and my first time.  Only thing is to get a soldering braid or be careful not to use too much solder or you will have a mess.  When you remove the caps just wiggle them back and forth as you alternate heating each leg side.  I did not have a braid so i just used the original solder after removing the old caps then added a tiny bit more.

sin2beta

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 11:00:42 pm »

Props on MacGyvering that solder. Surprised it worked honestly, those points look cold.

@OP: eStarland does it. Plus, several people on ebay. I'd say 30-40 is pretty standard for a total cost. If you are just repairing the sound or video and not both, eStarland charges 20, I believe.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

thecrypticodor

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 11:35:20 pm »
Even if you have to pay someone to do it a recapped Game Gear is a wonderful thing. Here's what mine looks like after I replaced EVERY single capacitor in it.

What a Game Gear is supposed to look like.  :)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 02:32:48 pm »
I used to have a guy that did these kind of things for me, locally. I'd give him a few bucks, or something in trade; and he'd be happy to help me out. He repaired and modded my original XBox. He sold me a 360 he repaired for only $100 when they were going for $200-$350 (depending on model), which I still use to this day. And he installed a mod-chip in my Saturn for me.

But then I went over to his house one day to hang out, and he had this huge Nazi flag hanging up in the middle of his living room. And he was serious about it. So I just stopped going over there after that.