Author Topic: Is a "version" of Silent Hills back on track?  (Read 2790 times)

gf78

Is a "version" of Silent Hills back on track?
« on: February 16, 2016, 10:58:03 am »

Kojima has just tweeted this picture of a "reunion" with Norman Reedus of Walking Dead fame.  For those that care, Norman Reedus was set to star in an updated Silent Hill(s) game directed by Hideo Kojima and Guillermo del Toro.

Coincidentally and quite significantly (possibly), Kojima and Del Toro will be making a joint appearance at the upcoming DICE Summit as well as Del Toro presenting as Kojima is inducted into the Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences Hall of Fame. 

Putting the pieces of the puzzle together, I think it's entirely possible that Kojima, Del Toro and Reedus have reunited for a "spiritual successor" to Silent Hill.  This has me officially excited, or in the words of Borat "I so excite!  I so excite!"
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

Re: Is a "version" of Silent Hills back on track?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 11:45:44 am »
I don't know, Kojima was quite adamant that he wasn't going to be rehashing any old ideas.

If it happens, my wife will be glad, but me personally, I'm not a fan of jump scare games, and PT felt like a jump scare kind of game.

gf78

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 12:08:45 pm »
I don't know, Kojima was quite adamant that he wasn't going to be rehashing any old ideas.

If it happens, my wife will be glad, but me personally, I'm not a fan of jump scare games, and PT felt like a jump scare kind of game.

I thought Silent Hill as a series and judging by the P.T. demo were more psychological horror.  When the "normal" Silent Hill peeled away to reveal the rusted pipework "hell", I could almost smell the musty, damp rust.  Then stuff like the nurses with their heads shakings at 900mph came along, hunched over....yeah...psychological.  Most stuff in Silent Hill to me you knew it was coming and it built on my sense of dread.  The P.T. demo was the same where the bathroom was closed, then slightly open, then you could hear a baby crying.  When you could finally enter the bathroom and there was this deformed fetus in the sink...it chilled me to the bone.

As for Kojima not wanting to rehash past stuff, he never actually got to make the Silent Hills game.  It's hard telling with him since he loves the art of misdirection, but I took it he didn't want to make a stealth game.  We shall see.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

desocietas

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 12:53:06 pm »
I can't play horror games but I sat next to my bf while he played PT. There's definitely one jump scare but the others that could happen are more based on your actions. It's definitely a psychological horror game with the radio, the news reports of the family murder, the slight changes in the house as you go through it... As much as I hate horror games, I enjoyed it because it was really well done.

When I saw Kojima's tweet with Norman Reedus, I got really excited  ;D
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 03:26:53 pm »
It would be great if he still got to make the horror game he wanted.  I don't even like horror games and I was interested in what I saw.  I'd be a huge freaking baby about it, but I'd play it.

gf78

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 03:56:30 pm »
Really, really good horror games have me wiping the sweat from my palms every 30 seconds!  The original Resident Evil and the first two Silent Hill games spring to mind. 

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 04:09:04 pm »
Norman Reedus did just tweet a picture of the Kojima Productions logo... so maybe they are collaborating for something.

gf78

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2016, 09:12:29 am »
Norman Reedus did just tweet a picture of the Kojima Productions logo... so maybe they are collaborating for something.

Seriously, I think it's going to be a "spiritual successor" to Silent Hills.  Kojima has never done an out & out horror title before with the closest to that being the first Castlevania on the PS360.  So he wouldn't be rehashing games that he has done in the past. 

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2016, 09:17:59 am »

Seriously, I think it's going to be a "spiritual successor" to Silent Hills.  Kojima has never done an out & out horror title before with the closest to that being the first Castlevania on the PS360.  So he wouldn't be rehashing games that he has done in the past.
I wasn't really arguing so much as stating that it could be construed that he meant he wouldn't.  But yes, Kojima-san is known for his misdirection.

I'd personally rather see something entirely new than see a P.T. successor that doesn't live up to that P.T. hype.  The hype was strong for P.T.  but to be fair, anything Kojima does will be hyped beyond belief.

gf78

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2016, 10:17:48 am »

I wasn't really arguing so much as stating that it could be construed that he meant he wouldn't.  But yes, Kojima-san is known for his misdirection.

I'd personally rather see something entirely new than see a P.T. successor that doesn't live up to that P.T. hype.  The hype was strong for P.T.  but to be fair, anything Kojima does will be hyped beyond belief.

LOL...I know you weren't arguing.  In any event like you said, anything with Kojima's name attached is going to be hyped beyond belief. 

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2016, 01:22:53 pm »
http://gamingbolt.com/kojima-on-why-he-will-never-release-a-game-like-p-t-doesnt-want-to-look-back-at-the-konami-drama

This article references something that I agree is a good reason why Kojima wouldn't make a P.T. game.  Too many people saw how big it was getting, especially after the removal, and tried to cash in by making their own "P.T."  Kojima doesn't want to touch P.T. because of that.

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2016, 08:07:34 am »
Because again, I don't want to start a new topic.

Kojima Productions Official Goods Set 6,480 Yen.  What's that... a little under $60?
http://kojimaproductions-store.jp/en/CATEGORY-ROOT/Kojima-Productions-Official-Goods-Set/p/KPS_OS_ORG_001_2

rayne315

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2016, 10:53:36 am »
Because again, I don't want to start a new topic.

Kojima Productions Official Goods Set 6,480 Yen.  What's that... a little under $60?
http://kojimaproductions-store.jp/en/CATEGORY-ROOT/Kojima-Productions-Official-Goods-Set/p/KPS_OS_ORG_001_2

ohhhh.... since its in yen does that mean the states wont be able to buy it? Never dealt with overseas shipping or different currencies.

EDIT: nvm I read through the places to ship and America is one of them. also a 2000 yen shipping charge so the total price would be 74.45 shipped according to google
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 11:02:41 am by rayne315 »
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2016, 08:14:00 am »
Another post because I don't want to start a new topic.

Full Body image of Kojima Productions Logo.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/kojima-reveals-full-body-image-of-new-company-masc/1100-6439894/?ftag=GSS-05-10aaa0b

kashell

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2016, 08:22:47 am »
I liked P.T. It was something different and the subtle changes during each pass through the house kept me interested. I think there's a lot of potential left with in the Silent Hill world.