Author Topic: Movie Collecting Website  (Read 2352 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Movie Collecting Website
« on: October 04, 2014, 10:27:56 pm »
I was wondering if anyone knew of a good movie collecting website, similar to VGCollect? I have what I like to think is a pretty decent DVD & VHS collection, and it would be nice to have something other than an MS Word list to keep track of it.

I know of a few, but they all have problems in one way or another and just don't measure up:

-Film Aficianados - Nice catalog of DVDs and such, but EVERYTHING is a pop-up and it's just infuriating to navigate their website.

-RateYourMusic.com - Great for music, not so great for movies. While it has movies, it doesn't have the various releases for them. And it ONLY has movies. No T.V. or specialty stuff.

-GameTZ - This is a trading website, but it's mostly focused on games. While music, books, and movies are on there; the listings are woefully lacking and you can't add to them yourself like you can here. And the traders mostly aren't interested in anything outside of video games anyways (even then it seems like pretty slim pickings anymore).

So if anyone could point me to some other, better options, it would be appreciated.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 10:29:30 pm by burningdoom »

foxhack

Re: Movie Collecting Website
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 11:14:44 pm »
Heh, oh boy. ;p

I use FilmAF and RateYourMusic as you can see from my sig. I've used FilmAF for several years so I've already gotten the quirks of using it down pat, and adding new items isn't as much of a pain anymore. I don't get the 'everything is a popup' thing, you can turn off image popups in the options. RYM isn't really good for movies unless you want to catalog concert DVDs.

There really isn't any site out there that allows you to catalog your collection in the same way this site does for free, to my knowledge.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 12:33:02 am »
Well that certainly helps things for Film Aficiando. I didn't even realize that was there. I just gave up after getting frustrated enough with it and stopped using it.

krelyan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 02:10:31 am »
I've used a bunch of DVD cataloguing sites and liked FilmAF the best.  It's quick and easy to add items and it's got by far the most expansive database I've seen.  You can disable the popups (but I believe you need to be logged in?).

Currently Playing: Rocket League (PS4), Fire Emblem Fates, The Witness (PS4), Puzzle & Dragons (Mobile)

dreama1

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 08:00:13 am »
I was wondering if anyone knew of a good movie collecting website, similar to VGCollect? I have what I like to think is a pretty decent DVD & VHS collection, and it would be nice to have something other than an MS Word list to keep track of it.

I know of a few, but they all have problems in one way or another and just don't measure up:

-Film Aficianados - Nice catalog of DVDs and such, but EVERYTHING is a pop-up and it's just infuriating to navigate their website.

-RateYourMusic.com - Great for music, not so great for movies. While it has movies, it doesn't have the various releases for them. And it ONLY has movies. No T.V. or specialty stuff.

-GameTZ - This is a trading website, but it's mostly focused on games. While music, books, and movies are on there; the listings are woefully lacking and you can't add to them yourself like you can here. And the traders mostly aren't interested in anything outside of video games anyways (even then it seems like pretty slim pickings anymore).

So if anyone could point me to some other, better options, it would be appreciated.

Thanks!
listal

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 07:22:32 pm »

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 06:33:55 pm »

Thanks!

I use DVD profiler. You can find it at invelos.com. If you don't buy the software, you can't get the high resolution art and I don't think they do VHS.

retroone

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 04:41:49 pm »

Thanks!
Are there apps for these sites on the Google Play Store?

tripredacus

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2014, 11:50:38 am »
There really isn't any site out there that allows you to catalog your collection in the same way this site does for free, to my knowledge.

There is one for action figures!  ;)
http://www.shmax.com/products

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2014, 12:55:33 pm »
Everything you collect you can do it here http://www.catawiki.com/collectors-portal.

Downside is if its not in there, you have to do it. The plus side its free.

stealthrush

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2015, 02:39:07 am »
I use Letterboxd for logging watched films. I also recommend Favslist community for video games and everything else for that matter  :P

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2015, 02:54:06 am »
Heh, oh boy. ;p

I use FilmAF and RateYourMusic as you can see from my sig. I've used FilmAF for several years so I've already gotten the quirks of using it down pat, and adding new items isn't as much of a pain anymore. I don't get the 'everything is a popup' thing, you can turn off image popups in the options. RYM isn't really good for movies unless you want to catalog concert DVDs.

I told my friend about FilmAF cause of your sig. He has a decent collection. and figured he would like it
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730