Author Topic: I need an intervention! Help keep me away from my ebays and paypal!  (Read 4900 times)

devancowan

Re: I need an intervention! Help keep me away from my ebays and paypal!
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2015, 03:13:36 pm »
I'm actually really bad when it comes to buy off Ebay too! I find myself looking at random standees and games that are crazy expensive! Iv been trying to save money lately and haven't actually bought a game in quite some time!  :)
I almost caved today though and got smash for the 3ds!

foxhack

« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2015, 03:20:02 pm »
I can't look at the listing right now as eBay is a blocked site at work.  But unless eBay has changed something, you aren't charged a final value fee on shipping costs.  eBay has been working on ways to circumvent people having low sale costs and high shipping costs to avoid the fees, but it's still fairly typical to see a (for instance) $60 game sell for $30 plus $30 shipping for example.

Yes, they do.

Final value fee

If the item sells, you're charged a final value fee. Final value fees are calculated based on the total amount of the sale and are charged per item.
The total amount of the sale is the final price of the item, shipping charges, and any other amounts you may charge the buyer. Sales tax is not included.

The final value fee is calculated from the combined final Sale Price and whatever you charged for shipping. So if you're charging $10 + $90 shipping instead of $100 with free shipping, you're still getting hit with a $10 final value fee. The difference is, the free shipping gets better search rankings.

gf78

« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2015, 03:46:46 pm »
I can't look at the listing right now as eBay is a blocked site at work.  But unless eBay has changed something, you aren't charged a final value fee on shipping costs.  eBay has been working on ways to circumvent people having low sale costs and high shipping costs to avoid the fees, but it's still fairly typical to see a (for instance) $60 game sell for $30 plus $30 shipping for example.

Yes, they do.

Final value fee

If the item sells, you're charged a final value fee. Final value fees are calculated based on the total amount of the sale and are charged per item.
The total amount of the sale is the final price of the item, shipping charges, and any other amounts you may charge the buyer. Sales tax is not included.

The final value fee is calculated from the combined final Sale Price and whatever you charged for shipping. So if you're charging $10 + $90 shipping instead of $100 with free shipping, you're still getting hit with a $10 final value fee. The difference is, the free shipping gets better search rankings.

Gotcha.  It didn't used to be that way and aside from an item here or there over the last two years, I haven't sold much so haven't really felt the need to pay that much attention to it. 

So, the seller probably is a 'tard.  Either that or if he's out of the country (again, can't look at the listing at work), perhaps eBay elsewhere doesn't work the same way?
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2015, 11:59:55 pm »
Effffffffff!

Just got outbid on a Phillips CD-i peacemaker!

:/ guess I'm stuck playing "Who Shot Johnny Rock" with the crappy spoon controller for a while longer!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 12:49:52 am by dashv »

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2015, 12:35:19 am »
Haven't sold on Ebay in years...didn't they add something called "final value price", where they take a percentage of the sellers shipping price. I remember seeing  somewhere that they encourage sellers to offer free shipping to avoid extra costs. Which makes absolutely no sense, since shipping becomes an extra cost if you give it away for free.

edit: got my answer
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 12:37:28 am by betelgeuse »