Author Topic: Something to Watch For  (Read 2943 times)

dstone

PRO Supporter

Something to Watch For
« on: February 17, 2012, 07:47:09 pm »
Something to watch for when approving edits:

Make sure that the game/accessory is not being changed so drastically that it is no longer the same item.

For example, I had an accessory in my collection. Found a duplicate entry on the board. The accessory in my collection was edited to become the Brazillian version (which the only indication of existing is a flyer, no prototype has been found for that version). The duplicate was modified to become the original item.

I removed the Brazillian version from my collection and added what used to be the duplicate.

Just a minor annoyance to be aware of.

htimreimer

Re: Something to Watch For
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 01:37:05 am »
Something to watch for when approving edits:

Make sure that the game/accessory is not being changed so drastically that it is no longer the same item.

For example, I had an accessory in my collection. Found a duplicate entry on the board. The accessory in my collection was edited to become the Brazillian version (which the only indication of existing is a flyer, no prototype has been found for that version). The duplicate was modified to become the original item.

I removed the Brazillian version from my collection and added what used to be the duplicate.

Just a minor annoyance to be aware of.

i'm sorry for the inconvenience dstone

tpugmire

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 07:58:36 am »
Yeah, only admins should be editing items into completely new items.  We only do that if nobody has the item in a collection, otherwise we have a merging tool to take care of dupes.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

foxhack

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 10:42:33 am »
I do that when a dupe is added and nobody has it in their collection.

But I'm an approver. Normal people should NOT be able to do that.

dstone

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 11:41:43 am »
@htimreimer No problem, it was easy to adapt to once I figured out what all was going on.

From my end (looking at the edit history) it appears that the edits were proposed by a regular user and then approved by an approver.

I'd rather have something like this happen on smaller/more obscure items so we can figure out what's going on/how to deal with it rather than having an item in 50+ people's collection become something different.

matt

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 06:36:00 pm »
As a rule we aren't going to switch any platforms unless their is an obvious error. Sorry this happened. I know it's something we look out for but a few may have slipped through.