Author Topic: Most Nostalgic Time-Period of Gaming  (Read 2996 times)

brazbit

Re: Most Nostalgic Time-Period of Gaming
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2016, 03:23:45 am »
Early 80s Atari/Magnavox Odyessey2 at home and Arcade machines everywhere. Hours spent in front of the living room television playing games with the whole family. Using butter knives to attach the RF switch box to a little 8" B&W TV in the kitchen. Begging and borrowing quarters every time I passed an arcade machine which could be anywhere from a full fledged arcade to a diner, convenience store or even somewhere mundane like a dry cleaner or tire store, they were virtually as plentiful as slot machines in Vegas. Cartoons of popular games on TV, songs about them on the radio, if you were not there I doubt you can conceive the impact video games had on popular culture 1978 to about 1984.

Runner up would be the late 80s/early 90s when I had my NES and my friends and I traded games, rented games, and can neither confirm or deny copying a floppy or two. This period was fun but I got my NES shortly before the SNES came along and ruined the fun. I had my Atari for a decade before getting the NES, no way I could replace it a mere 2 years later, Nintendo must have thought we were made of money or something. I ditched consoles for several years after this, besides that I had a PC and access to BBSs by then so who needed Nintendo? I eventually got over it but that soured me on console gaming for a long time and is what makes the NES era less nostalgic than it should be.

stlgamer75

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2016, 01:46:20 am »
1987-1988

I got my NES for Christmas in '87 but I'd been playing my friends NES's and Play Choice Ten in arcades so I was well versed in all things Nintendo by the time I got it. I spent all of 1988 obsessed with gaming and trading, borrowing and renting games to play as many as I could since I couldn't afford to buy many myself and there are only so many Christmas's and birthdays in a year. I even put Super Mario Bros 2 on layaway at the local Wal Mart to ensure I would own a copy by the end of the summer of '88.

Classic NES games out during this period:
Zelda 1 & 2
SMB 1 & 2
Metroid
Mike Tyson's Punch Out
Castlevania 1 & 2
Contra
Kid Icarus
Tecmo Bowl
Duck Hunt
Pro Wrestling
Mega Man 1 & 2
Check out my retro gaming blog, Cartridge Corner
https://stlgamer75.wordpress.com

sin2beta

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2016, 03:56:43 pm »
Early 80s Atari/Magnavox Odyessey2 at home and Arcade machines everywhere. Hours spent in front of the living room television playing games with the whole family. Using butter knives to attach the RF switch box to a little 8" B&W TV in the kitchen. Begging and borrowing quarters every time I passed an arcade machine which could be anywhere from a full fledged arcade to a diner, convenience store or even somewhere mundane like a dry cleaner or tire store, they were virtually as plentiful as slot machines in Vegas. Cartoons of popular games on TV, songs about them on the radio, if you were not there I doubt you can conceive the impact video games had on popular culture 1978 to about 1984.

Runner up would be the late 80s/early 90s when I had my NES and my friends and I traded games, rented games, and can neither confirm or deny copying a floppy or two. This period was fun but I got my NES shortly before the SNES came along and ruined the fun. I had my Atari for a decade before getting the NES, no way I could replace it a mere 2 years later, Nintendo must have thought we were made of money or something. I ditched consoles for several years after this, besides that I had a PC and access to BBSs by then so who needed Nintendo? I eventually got over it but that soured me on console gaming for a long time and is what makes the NES era less nostalgic than it should be.

This is a period of gaming that I wish I was around for. I've owned an atari 2600 twice, but never when the Atari 2600 was active. I was born in 1986. Thus, I never really got on with the the Atari consoles. However, it has some of the best arcade games. I would really liked to have more nostalgia for "Have you played Atari today?" Atari has some of the best history. Corporate Atari is mind-blowing. The book "Chasing the Beam" is great. The blog "All in Color for a Quarter" is one of the best things on the internet. Also, I highly suggest anyone to listen to the Owen Rubin episodes of the podcast Arcade Outsiders.

But alas, it's tough to have nostalgia for stuff you were either too young or not alive during. But that is where respect takes over I guess.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c