Author Topic: The Xbox One Elite Controller: Unbalancing Gameplay?  (Read 2984 times)

gf78

The Xbox One Elite Controller: Unbalancing Gameplay?
« on: November 16, 2015, 11:25:14 am »
Wondering what the community's thoughts are on the Xbox One Elite controller.  To me, it's an unfair advantage, no different from someone using a modded controller or a keyboard & mouse adapter.  With the programmable buttons and rear paddles, gamers utilizing this new controller can remap the face buttons to the rear paddles, essentially allowing them to perform movements such as jumping while still using the right analog "look" stick. 

In a game like Call of Duty, Destiny or any other online shooter, this gives those players who use an Elite controller a leg-up.  I find this particularly puzzling, given that Microsoft is (or at least was until recently) quick to ban consoles where players were using a mod controller as well as not allowing gamers to use a PC/Mouse combo.  The Elite controller is essentially a modded controller by putting the buttons/paddles on the rear, allowing you to change the analog sticks for more precise control, etc.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

Re: The Xbox One Elite Controller: Unbalancing Gameplay?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 12:46:15 pm »
It definitely is kind of a weird situation. I don't think they really care. They just want our money.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 01:21:17 pm »
This is nothing new, though. They've had programmable controllers since the SNES/Genesis days. You were able to pre-program fighting game combinations to a single-button, which definitely gave you an advantage.

gf78

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 02:09:46 pm »
This is nothing new, though. They've had programmable controllers since the SNES/Genesis days. You were able to pre-program fighting game combinations to a single-button, which definitely gave you an advantage.

This is true, but you were sitting on a couch next to each other in those days for competitive play or the advantage was limited to single player.

In today's online gaming scene, this is akin to using a lag switch to make yourself a nearly impossible target.  I'd go so far as to say it is cheating.  Which again, is why I pointed out that Microsoft always frowned upon using mods or third party devices and even banned user's systems when they found out they were using them. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

gf78

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 02:36:43 pm »
It definitely is kind of a weird situation. I don't think they really care. They just want our money.

I think of it as cheating.  When someone using this controller or a modded PS4 controller (example:  Black Ops III) can do a double jump while simultaneously sighting you in for a kill, it puts you at a distinct disadvantage when you have to take your thumb off the right analog stick to hit the jump button.  Same for reloading, etc.  Then you have the analog sticks with an extended height which aids in precision shooting.

There are also programmable adapters you can buy and hook your keyboard/mouse up  to it.  To me, both are cheating.

rayne315

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2015, 03:13:26 pm »
When I was back in high school I had a friend that would use his middle and ring fingers to hold/use the trigger buttons and use the sides of his index finger to hit the buttons while being able to keep his thumbs strictly on the analog sticks. it was so awkward looking to see him play but he got so used to playing that way that it was literally second nature to him. We used to play COD constantly and to this day he is the only other person besides me that I have ever seen get to over 100 kills. (my highest is 106 on the map WMD and his was 186 on the same map. yay demolition)

basically what im trying to say is that you can completely eliminate the competitive advantage with some training. Also just because it makes certain aspects easier for certain people does not mean it give them the competitive advantage. give that controller to an 8 year old and I bet you still beat them 9 times out of 10. For the people who are good enough to actually get that competitive advantage from the controller then chances are good that they will not show up in your matches as they will more likely than not be matched with people their same skill level.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2015, 04:28:29 pm »
It's something one is only going to really notice at the highest levels of gameplay and these kinds of controllers have been around for years.  I was just reading an article the other day about the controllers made by Scuf that have been doing this for awhile, basically designed for MLG level of play.  I wouldn't put this anywhere remotely near cheating/lag switches.  You don't cheat with the Elite controller, you just have an alternate control method that people have found useful for high level play.  It's like people buying high end arcade sticks.

silversyx

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2015, 05:52:46 pm »
It's something one is only going to really notice at the highest levels of gameplay and these kinds of controllers have been around for years.  I was just reading an article the other day about the controllers made by Scuf that have been doing this for awhile, basically designed for MLG level of play.  I wouldn't put this anywhere remotely near cheating/lag switches.  You don't cheat with the Elite controller, you just have an alternate control method that people have found useful for high level play.  It's like people buying high end arcade sticks.

I agree, you can remap your buttons on most competitive games anyway. I like to use the "bumper jumper." The elite controller feels like using a Gamecube controller for Smash Wii U or an arcade stick for Street Fighter. Even a racing wheel for Grand Turismo.

rayne315

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2015, 10:52:36 am »
Also if im not mistaken microshaft only banned the people that modded their controller to do things their fingers could never physically do. Like rapid fire mods that clicked the fire button 20+ times a second to force gun mechanics to be wonky in the game. like forcing a pump-action shotgun to skip its pump animation.

I have never heard of any instances of a person being banned for simply re-mapping buttons to a better layout.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

gf78

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2015, 11:22:05 am »
Also if im not mistaken microshaft only banned the people that modded their controller to do things their fingers could never physically do. Like rapid fire mods that clicked the fire button 20+ times a second to force gun mechanics to be wonky in the game. like forcing a pump-action shotgun to skip its pump animation.

I have never heard of any instances of a person being banned for simply re-mapping buttons to a better layout.

Microsoft was dropping the ban hammer on anyone who even used a 3rd party peripheral device including flash drives. 

The Elite controller does not simply allow you to remap button assignments.  It has additional buttons on the back of the controller that are not available on a standard 'bone controller.  Microsoft previously banned mod controllers that had added paddles on the back which had the face buttons remapped to them.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2015, 11:30:46 am »

Microsoft was dropping the ban hammer on anyone who even used a 3rd party peripheral device including flash drives. 

The Elite controller does not simply allow you to remap button assignments.  It has additional buttons on the back of the controller that are not available on a standard 'bone controller.  Microsoft previously banned mod controllers that had added paddles on the back which had the face buttons remapped to them.

Why would they do that? They're the ones that made flash-drives compatible with a system update.

gf78

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2015, 02:22:02 pm »
Also if im not mistaken microshaft....

LOL....missed that the first time around.