Author Topic: Most overated game ever?  (Read 7354 times)

sworddude

Re: Most overated game ever?
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2016, 10:58:43 am »
I get it just fine. And this is coming from someone who actually doesn't like using items at all, even when I'm playing just for fun. Items are not a game breaker. Each one has a disadvantage.

Again, I have never -EVER- seen a player randomly explode. If an item is thrown? Absolutely.

I have believe it,

If your unfortunate enough when a bottle or box spawns above you and falls on top of you

Or ofcourse during a move when an items spawns.

I prefer to play without items but I definitly do have some fun times on matches with items.

just saying that for competitive scene items are a no go. There is no skill in using items they are overall easy to use if you know a thing or two.

items are fun I do play the occasional match with items.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

kashell

« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2016, 11:33:37 am »
I have never seen it. Me and my brothers played Smash every day growing up and were never unfortunate enough to deal with that. But, again, we didn't like using items. There were occasions when all of the items were on Very High. It was chaos, but I never saw anyone randomly detonate.

Biking was just pointing out that it seems lame to not include a classic part of Smash brothers in competitive play.

sworddude

« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2016, 11:43:31 am »
I have never seen it. Me and my brothers played Smash every day growing up and were never unfortunate enough to deal with that. But, again, we didn't like using items. There were occasions when all of the items were on Very High. It was chaos, but I never saw anyone randomly detonate.

Biking was just pointing out that it seems lame to not include a classic part of Smash brothers in competitive play.

When I was growing up I pretty much played this game everyday with friends and my brother.

Pretty much all the time with items on very high. So believe it you will randomly die and there is nothing that you can do about it.

kashell

« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2016, 12:14:58 pm »
This is one of those instances that I'll have to see to believe. Unfortunately, I haven't played much Smash lately (which is a shame since it's the only fighting game I'm good at) so it'll be a while until I can check this out.

« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2016, 08:22:48 pm »
i love smash and even pro smash to death but this is pretty much the pro scene:

This isn't my picture but I have literally done this.

sworddude

« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2016, 09:15:59 pm »
i love smash and even pro smash to death but this is pretty much the pro scene:

This isn't my picture but I have literally done this.

And yet the best player destroys all top fox players while using peach wich is not even in the top 5 characters.

I don't see it aside from the other 4 top tier charaters pretty evenly matched. Heck I might even say top 10 seriously. Furthermore allot of top 10 players are not fox mains there are allot of sheik and falco mains on the top.

If you go lower than indeed allot of fox but at top lvl play there are plenty of different characters aside from fox.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 09:18:11 pm by sworddude »

maximo310

« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2016, 09:46:44 pm »
Melee is still very limited in character variety in the higher tiers of competitive play; the dude using Peach seems to be the only one who can afford to go outside the 5 character comfort zone.  Nobody's dissing your fav game, but its pro scene has some pretty limited viability right now just due to the way it works compared to other fighting games.

sworddude

« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2016, 06:09:31 am »
Melee is still very limited in character variety in the higher tiers of competitive play; the dude using Peach seems to be the only one who can afford to go outside the 5 character comfort zone.  Nobody's dissing your fav game, but its pro scene has some pretty limited viability right now just due to the way it works compared to other fighting games.

Afford lol peach wrecks fox. Chain grabbing fox is really easy with peach.

Many people don't like using peach that's my guess anyways. Heck I don't want to play peach even if she is really good. Many people prefer other charaters and my guess is that they don't want to play a sissy charater like peach since if I'm honest fox needs to think twice before going into a peach.

Aside from that ice climbers, samus, pikachu some falcon's do pretty well to. and are all players in top 20 range.

Regarding other fighting games usually it is the same way a top 10 or less characters wich are competetive viable while the rest of the cast dies out.

There are always a select group of charaters that people use, It's unavoidable that every character is balanced. In games like street fighter II the cast consisted of only 5 characters to be competetive viable while iconic characters like Ken and RYU were bottom tier and not suitable for competition.

« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2016, 08:46:57 am »
We should set up a online match.
Settle it in Smash!!

-also: I'm aware sworddude. It's just a silly generalization.

gf78

« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2016, 10:55:57 am »
Earthbound: People act like it is the end all, be all RPG on the SNES, but from someone who has played most of them on the system, it is definitely bottom of the barrel, maybe mediocre at best. People like to say how unique and quarky it is, which I guess is true, especially for the time, but the graphics look slightly better than an NES game, the music is mostly not that great (with a few exceptions), and the story is pretty boring. Chrono Trigger, FFIV and FFVI, Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore, Breath of Fire I and II, and Lufia are just a few RPGs that are better. Meanwhile, Earthbound gets treated like it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Honorable mentions: Metal Gear Solid, Super Smash Bros Melee, Call of Duty (all of them)

I never got the undying love for Earthbound myself either.  To me, Star Tropics was a much better RPG.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

doafan

« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2016, 12:12:18 pm »
Easy that should be two series: Halo and The Legend of Zelda, the first one because I practically get assaulted by a friend since he was talking about this one every damn day and he still does at every time that I unblock him from the Skype this and the fact that it's a first person shooter make me think that some people overate this title to much and about the LOZ was never a fan of the saga, in fact I don't play their games even when I do got a couple of them at my collection, the saga is ok but again the fact that a lot of people puts this one as the best game from Nintendo makes me sick  ;D

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2016, 02:07:31 pm »
My pick for the most overrated game ever is Red Dead Redemption. After the massive love and praise it gets, I was expecting a near flawless game that would be a ton of fun. Instead I got a game with dreadful controls, brainless AI, unengaging cutscenes, no reason to loot bodies or use shops, and awful cattle herding missions. I don't think I've ever been more disappointed in a game in my life.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 02:12:39 pm by throughtheiris56 »

gf78

« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2016, 02:38:59 pm »
My pick for the most overrated game ever is Red Dead Redemption. After the massive love and praise it gets, I was expecting a near flawless game that would be a ton of fun. Instead I got a game with dreadful controls, brainless AI, unengaging cutscenes, no reason to loot bodies or use shops, and awful cattle herding missions. I don't think I've ever been more disappointed in a game in my life.

That's exactly how I thought I would feel about it and didn't pick it up for quite some time.  Did you go into it thinking you wouldn't like it to begin with?  I love that game and it is completely not my style being A)  Open world and B)  a western. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2016, 07:28:21 pm »

That's exactly how I thought I would feel about it and didn't pick it up for quite some time.  Did you go into it thinking you wouldn't like it to begin with?  I love that game and it is completely not my style being A)  Open world and B)  a western.

I didn't know that much about it before going into it, mainly it was an open world western game that has third person shooting and horse riding. All those things sounded fine to me, and since it has universal acclaim I was confident it would be mostly enjoyable even if it didn't completely live up to the hype.

In the game's defence, I didn't play it as most other people played it since most of my time was spent completing the story, so I might have gotten more enjoyment if I played it more casually and took more time with it. Nevertheless, I still think it has glaring issues that cannot be ignored and make it an extremely flawed game. I had no need at all to visit shops and get new equipment as combat was extremely easy so my weapons were sufficient and ammo drops were abundant.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2016, 07:50:06 pm »

I'm about the same with this. Not into Westerns at all, so I had zero interest. That is until I actually played it, then I was hooked! It really is a phenomenal game. The music, the atmosphere, the sense of exploration, the attention to details; it all just blends together so well.