Author Topic: Steam Machines: Can we put a fork in it yet?  (Read 1452 times)

gf78

Steam Machines: Can we put a fork in it yet?
« on: June 03, 2016, 01:47:20 pm »
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/06/its-time-to-declare-valves-steam-machines-doa/

Estimates are in and it looks bad.  Steam Machine sales in seven months on the market are around 500,000.  So much for the PC/console hybrid that was destined to crush console gaming under it's boot.   ::)
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

kashell

Re: Steam Machines: Can we put a fork in it yet?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 01:56:44 pm »
I completely forgot about that thing.

Then again, I always forget about Steam.

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 02:15:05 pm »
It's too bad, definitely a cool concept, I actually have the Syber Vapor "Steam Machine," however, I don't have steamOS, it's windows 10, I also upgraded it and used the remaining parts to build another gaming PC.

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 02:32:11 pm »
I completely forgot about that thing.

Then again, I always forget about Steam.
this
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2016, 02:42:05 pm »
I have one of those; but like kingrat, I used it to make a little Windows 10 PC. It made a heck of a little MAME/Emulator machine.

gf78

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2016, 02:53:16 pm »
I have one of those; but like kingrat, I used it to make a little Windows 10 PC. It made a heck of a little MAME/Emulator machine.

That's cool.  But the general gist I'm seeing is that even those that bought one use them for a different purpose.  As a platform, Steam has failed harder than the Wii U.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2016, 04:35:36 pm »
Basically if your game doesn't support linux it won't work; thus limiting the library severely.
The Steam controller and Steam link are nice, but having a machine that's only running steam is kinda dumb. Besides... you can download SteamOS and put it on your own machine anyways. There's basically no incentive to by a branded Steam Machine when you can probably make something better for less.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2016, 04:54:06 pm »

That's cool.  But the general gist I'm seeing is that even those that bought one use them for a different purpose.  As a platform, Steam has failed harder than the Wii U.

The only reason I bought it was because I needed a computer and it was a decent build for $150 on a facebook yardsale.  Then, I dropped an SSD and 4 extra gig of ram.  It was cheap, but good little game box.

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2016, 06:05:34 pm »
I was interested in a steam machine early on- I don't have a steam account and I' m well aware of what I'm missing as a result. Then the info dump for the first dozenish machines hit. *sigh*

The reason I game on console & not computer is because I don't want to have to sit down and study stats for ram/processors/video cards/etc. and figure out what device out of several will give me the best value for my money. Personally, I think there's too many console variants, but at least there I only really to figure out hard drive, pack-in game, and color (for the most part.) Plus, if I get a PS4 game, it'll run in any PS4. No guarantees a specific steam game will run on my steam box. If it's going to be as much work as a PC, I'll just get a PC. Can't say I'm surprised to see other people coming to a similar conclusion.

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2016, 07:26:38 pm »
The idea of the Steam Machine was kinda cool, but I think it mostly failed by just a severe lack of consistency.  Multiple companies make them with varying degrees of pricing and hardware.  There was no way that would compete with the likes of buying a Playstation 4 or even a a Wii U, where the branding and everything is distinct and straightforward (Though with Microsoft and Sony looking at new iterations of their systems, this could change). 

I just think it gets buried in the varied PC market.  No one looks at the Alienware branded Steam Machine and see a Steam Machine, they see an Alienware system.  I say all this as someone who uses Steam every day.  I have over 200 games in my library and it's what I use to play most new games, but I never expected the Steam Machine to take off.  The controller is kinda interesting and I hope to try it someday, but that's all that came out of this venture that seemed okay lol

ffxik

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2016, 12:01:54 am »
I never really understood the "why" factor of it.  A friend of mine was stoked about it when they were announced.  After seeing what versions were available at what prices.  I came to the conclusion that building a same spec PC would be a little cheaper in some aspects.  So the entire time these have been a thing. I've been like, why?

Also on Black Friday the Wal-Mart a couple of towns over were selling them for around $250.00.  Much like the OUYA it was an idea that sounded awesome in theory.